Sign in to follow this  
Favre4Ever

Stern: "Substantial Sanctions Forthcoming" After Spurs Rest Stars

I don't understand how everyone in this thread can be so pro one side or the other. Both Stern and Pop handled this poorly.

You don't have to rest ALL of your stars at one time, regardless of age. Stagger that shit. I do absolutely believe he did this, in part, to make a point.

As far as Stern is concerned, he should have made an apology on behalf of the Spurs for slighting the fans and made them look like the bad guys and leave it at that. I don't think fines are in order because I do think it oversteps his bounds.

You're right. But I think a lot of people are just fed up with David Stern and his constant over stepping of the boundaries given to him as Commish, which is pushing folks towards Pop's corner.

It really isn't that hard to understand.

You take money away from the NBA, TV broadcasters, etc, and they'll take it right back. It doesn't matter if he covers it up by putting a facade that he's doing it for the fans.

I know plenty of people who saw that game and are content with the fact that the Spurs would get fined over this.

Anybody who thought or still thinks Greg was just "resting" his guys with no other intent is just kidding themselves.

Stern was, and has always been a hypocrite, let's not act like it's some huge revelation. And the NBA is a business, he does what's best for them. This would happen if any team, especially a small market team pulled something like this.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

So it's in the NBA's best interest to fine one of the NBA's most well run franchises for excersing the right to rest players, or as you call it, 'making a point' to Stern? As far as I know, Greg runs that team to win, not to please one of the shittiest commissioners in sports at the moment.

So it's in the NBA's best interest to fine one of the NBA's most well run franchises for excersing the right to rest players, or as you call it, 'making a point' to Stern? As far as I know, Greg runs that team to win, not to please one of the shittiest commissioners in sports at the moment.

Is that a serious question?

Hell yea its in the NBAs best interest to fine a team that causes it to lose possible revenue when the coach doing it knows and hopes for the outcome to hurt the NBA.

Is that a serious question?

Hell yea its in the NBAs best interest to fine a team that causes it to lose possible revenue when the coach doing it knows and hopes for the outcome to hurt the NBA.

Please tell me how much money the entire NBA lost because of the San Antonio Spurs not playing their best players. None are athletic freaks of nature anymore, or entertainers. They do their business by playing fundamentally sound ball. No flash, no flair, just hard work. Now if we're talking about entertainers like CP3, Blake Griffin, DeAndre Jordan....then maybe there's a fair case for a team losing ratings.

Think about it. A regular season NBA game with the Heat and Spurs...you really think people were tuning into that game to see Duncan and Tony Parker? Miami fans sure weren't there for them lmao.

The NBA lost less money with that game then the fine they gave the Spurs.

It isn't Pop's job to look out for Stern's TV ratings. You can make the argument that Pop shouldn't have rested his starters, but Stern has no right to come in and tell Pop how to manage his roster.

Please tell me how much money the entire NBA lost because of the San Antonio Spurs not playing their best players. None are athletic freaks of nature anymore, or entertainers. They do their business by playing fundamentally sound ball. No flash, no flair, just hard work. Now if we're talking about entertainers like CP3, Blake Griffin, DeAndre Jordan....then maybe there's a fair case for a team losing ratings.

Think about it. A regular season NBA game with the Heat and Spurs...you really think people were tuning into that game to see Duncan and Tony Parker? Miami fans sure weren't there for them lmao.

The NBA lost less money with that game then the fine they gave the Spurs.

Let's all act like this is no big deal then.

TNT and it's affiliates, plus NBA TV publicize a prime time game between two teams that could be a potential NBA finals matchup. There was a commercial on NBA TV I saw where they went down a list of all the all stars that would be featured in this game.

Promoters, sponsors, all put money into this game. This was one of the most expensive tickets for the Miami Heat this season.

Behind all of this, most of us already knew that Greg Pop and most Spurs fans had showed displeasure before about the scheduling and how the NBA was supposedly setting them up to be destroyed by the Heat.

All the sudden, on national stage, prime time, that same coach who showed clear displeasure with the scheduling decides to randomly, not play any of his starters, all three of his stars for no apparent reason but "rest". They were so tired and he wanted them to be so ready for a game on Saturday that he sent them home on Thursday.

And newsflash, Tim Duncan is still a star in this league, Tony Parker is still a star in this league who makes amazing plays. Even Ginobilli. The NBA is trying to feature it's best on its brightest stage, and none of the starters for one of those teams show up.

And the NBA was just gonna let that slide. Really?

The Spurs got exactly what they had coming to them.

Edited by DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F

Guest Phailadelphia

here's Stern's statement:

"The Spurs decided to make four of their top players unavailable for an early-season game that was the team's only regular-season visit to Miami. The team also did this without informing the Heat, the media, or the league office in a timely way. Under these circumstances, I have concluded that the Spurs did a disservice to the league and our fans."

I don't know what that says other than check with me before you decide to sit people

also, here's a quote from NBA deputy commissioner Adam Silver from April discussing the Spurs sitting players then:

"The strategic resting of particular players on particular nights is within the discretion of the teams, and Gregg Popovich in particular is probably the last coach that I would second-guess."

Both quotes are from SI.com

Like I said, there's something bigger BEHIND this. On the surface, Stern had to fine them for the reasons stated above. Is that the ACTUAL reason they were fined? Nah.

Let's all act like this is no big deal then.

TNT and it's affiliates, plus NBA TV publicize a prime time game between two teams that could be a potential NBA finals matchup. There was a commercial on NBA TV I saw where they went down a list of all the all stars that would be featured in this game.

Promoters, sponsors, all put money into this game. This was one of the most expensive tickets for the Miami Heat this season.

Behind all of this, most of us already knew that Greg Pop and most Spurs fans had showed displeasure before about the scheduling and how the NBA was supposedly setting them up to be destroyed by the Heat.

All the sudden, on national stage, prime time, that same coach who showed clear displeasure with the scheduling decides to randomly, not play any of his starters, all three of his stars for no apparent reason but "rest". They were so tired and he wanted them to be so ready for a game on Saturday that he sent them home on Thursday.

And newsflash, Tim Duncan is still a star in this league, Tony Parker is still a star in this league who makes amazing plays. Even Ginobilli. The NBA is trying to feature it's best on its brightest stage, and none of the starters for one of those teams show up.

And the NBA was just gonna let that slide. Really?

The Spurs got exactly what they had coming to them.

Sponsors, Endorsers, Marketers, etc. are all taking a RISK whenever they invest in ANY game. What if those guys were injured or came down with illness the day before the game? Would it still be Stern's right of way to tell Pop that he still has to play them because the NBA 'needs' money for fear of revenue loss? Hell No.

People need to realize that this game means almost nothing. Both these teams are making the playoffs, and are striving to reach a championship. The Spurs are getting up there in age, and they need a few more games off than your average NBA team. In the long run, Greg knows what he's doing by sitting his players so his team can MAKE the championship without them being entirely drained. Also, the Spurs have a much more important game against the Grizzlies tonight who are at the top of the Western Conference.

So what? They rested there starters and STILL within 5 points of the Heat. So tell me, it was still a close, well-coached NBA game by Greg. What's the real reasons why the ratings and revenue 'suffered'? If people want to see fatigued veteran stars play against a young fast paced Heat team more than they want to see a good game...then they aren't really basketball fans. You have favorites, of course, but for the love of God the game was still great. But no, Stern is completely right in his sanctions. Hammerfist the Spurs for still competing with the Heat, but not getting a few more people to watch because of their stars being out. Fuck Stern.

• Upvote 1

You don't have to rest ALL of your stars at one time, regardless of age. Stagger that shit. I do absolutely believe he did this, in part, to make a point.

that's a great idea, let's fuck with the team's chemistry for four games rather than just one (or three, since I think everyone can probably agree that Danny Green doesn't fall in the same category as the other three, but the point's still valid)

and all this is really going to do is get coaches to start making up injuries, I wouldn't be surprised if Pop sat them again later in the season citing some bs like "flu like symptoms"

Like I said, there's something bigger BEHIND this. On the surface, Stern had to fine them for the reasons stated above. Is that the ACTUAL reason they were fined? Nah.

You get on JD in the politics forum for making assertions and assumptions with no real evidence. So unless there's something you're not telling us, I don't think you can safely attempt to drive this point home.

• Upvote 1

Sponsors, Endorsers, Marketers, etc. are all taking a RISK whenever they invest in ANY game. What if those guys were injured or came down with illness the day before the game? Would it still be Stern's right of way to tell Pop that he still has to play them because the NBA 'needs' money for fear of revenue loss? Hell No.

People need to realize that this game means almost nothing. Both these teams are making the playoffs, and are striving to reach a championship. The Spurs are getting up there in age, and they need a few more games off than your average NBA team. In the long run, Greg knows what he's doing by sitting his players so his team can MAKE the championship without them being entirely drained. Also, the Spurs have a much more important game against the Grizzlies tonight who are at the top of the Western Conference.

So what? They rested there starters and STILL within 5 points of the Heat. So tell me, it was still a close, well-coached NBA game by Greg. What's the real reasons why the ratings and revenue 'suffered'? If people want to see fatigued veteran stars play against a young fast paced Heat team more than they want to see a good game...then they aren't really basketball fans. You have favorites, of course, but for the love of God the game was still great. But no, Stern is completely right in his sanctions. Hammerfist the Spurs for still competing with the Heat, but not getting a few more people to watch because of their stars being out. Fuck Stern.

You are over-complicating it.

If the NBA promises the TV network, etc, one thing, and in return actually give them something completely different. In other words, what the buyers didn't want... It makes the NBA look bad in front if it's fans with the tickets, sponsors, investors, TV network, not just the current ones, but future as well. Regardless of what the outcome was, it's a common fact that a lot of fans watch the NBA for it's stars, not backups. Whether it's the right reason to watch the sport or not is irelevent.

Especially when these starters not playing probably easily coulda been avoided, had coach Pop decided not to play hardass.

His decision making made the NBA look bad in front of the guys with money means that it was "contrary to the interest of the NBA". Once that's the case, Sterns has every right under the CBA to act on it. It's that simple.

Dmac, you make it sound like David Stern is Vince McMahon and organizing all of these scripted roles.... lmao. I know the NBA seems like the WWE sometimes, but let's not move further in that direction.

that's a great idea, let's fuck with the team's chemistry for four games rather than just one (or three, since I think everyone can probably agree that Danny Green doesn't fall in the same category as the other three, but the point's still valid)

and all this is really going to do is get coaches to start making up injuries, I wouldn't be surprised if Pop sat them again later in the season citing some bs like "flu like symptoms"

No offense, but that's how its normally done. Jeeze. It seems to work for everyone else. :shrug:

No offense, but that's how its normally done. Jeeze. It seems to work for everyone else. :shrug:

true, it's not really fair to suggest that approach is completely worthless, and I didn't really mean to do that (though I realize that's how it came across) my main point was that you can't discredit the approach Pop took of sitting them all at once to avoid disrupting the flow longer than necessary, and that discretion needs to be left with the coach, he's in the best position to know what'll work best with his team and the league shouldn't be in a position to tell coaches what approach they need to be taking