Sign in to follow this  
Tridentdawgpound

Contract Debate: BJ Upton vs Nick Swisher

7 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you rather have?

• Swisher (4 yr/56M)
    • Upton (5 yr/75M)

Apparently this is blasphemous shoutbox discussion (shame on me) so I'll ask here. Which team gave out the better deal: The Braves to BJ Upton or the Indians to Nick Swisher?

Swisher: Age 32, 4 yrs/56M with 14M option for 2017.

Upton: Age 28, 5 yrs/75M

I'd rather pay the young guy with the ability to contribute in all three phases (hitting, fielding and baserunning) over the older guy on the decline with really only an advantage in the power department.

Upton's contract is way better.

Both of them got a bit more money than they deserve but yeah,Upton's contract is a lot better.

Apparently this is blasphemous shoutbox discussion (shame on me) so I'll ask here. Which team gave out the better deal: The Braves to BJ Upton or the Indians to Nick Swisher?

Swisher: Age 32, 4 yrs/56M with 14M option for 2017.

Upton: Age 28, 5 yrs/75M

I'd rather pay the young guy with the ability to contribute in all three phases (hitting, fielding and baserunning) over the older guy on the decline with really only an advantage in the power department.

Upton is a great baserunner but the problem is he's hardly ever on base. Swisher is more consistent and the better player. Not sure which contract is worse though because Upton is a lot younger. I think Swisher playing in the AL might give him the edge because even though he probably won't be able to field at 35-36 he can DH for them and I think he'll be able to hit still at that age.

Upton can contribute in the hitting department? His awful OBP and other stats say otherwise.

Edited by Kardiac Kids

Upton can contribute in the hitting department? His awful OBP and other stats say otherwise.

BUT HEZ GOT POWER DOOD.

Depends on the team.

If I have a young, rising baseball team with potential, I'll take B.J. in the hopes that the change of scenery somehow turns him into a good, motivated baseball player.

If I have a veteran team with a closing window, I'll take Swisher, a guy who's proven to be good (unlike Upton), try to win the World Series in the next 2-3 years, and worry about the contract later.

BUT HEZ GOT POWER DOOD.

"HEZ GOT POWER DOOD" is pretty much the only reason anyone would sign Swisher.

"HEZ GOT POWER DOOD" is pretty much the only reason anyone would sign Swisher.

Yeah except he's not completely incompetent in every other area as a hitter.

Eh they're both overpaid is one really better? I think a team like Cleveland needed to pay Swisher more to create some sort of a buzz.