Sign in to follow this  
AL_Royalty

Chargers hire Mike McCoy for HC position

By Adam Schefter | ESPN

Denver Broncos offensive coordinator Mike McCoy has told the team that he is accepting the San Diego Chargers' head coaching job, according to sources.

The Chargers offered the job to McCoy on Tuesday. He has canceled a scheduled visit to Arizona, where he was scheduled to meet with the Cardinals for a second time about their coaching vacancy.

Chargers officials picked up McCoy in Denver on Monday and took him back to San Diego for his interview.

McCoy will become the second Broncos coordinator to take a head coaching job within the AFC West in two seasons. Last offseason, former Broncos defensive coordinator Dennis Allen was named head coach of the Raiders.

New general manager Tom Telesco is leading the search for a coach to replace Norv Turner, who was fired along with GM A.J. Smith on Dec. 31 after the Chargers finished 7-9.

Before his Chargers interview, McCoy already had interviewed with Arizona, Philadelphia and Chicago. The Jaguars also were expected to talk with him.

McCoy, 40, interviewed with the Dolphins last season before being passed over in favor of Joe Philbin, the former offensive coordinator of the Packers.

McCoy also drew praise for helping the Broncos reach the playoffs last season with a read-option offense run by Tim Tebow. McCoy has been the Broncos' offensive coordinator since 2009.

Interesting... Does anyone else feel like the AFC West might want to start looking outside of what has become the worst division in football to find their leaders? Does anyone really credit this guy with the turnaround of the Broncos? It's not hard to coach Manning, and a gameplan that includes running the ball 40-50 times a game with a QB who can't throw an NFL pass—2011, Tebow led Broncos— doesn't take a Vince Lombardi to assemble.

Thoughts?

From an X's and O's standpoint McCoy looks like a good hire, but the big question is whether he's really head coach material. If he's not, San Diego just hired Norv Turner 2.0. :troll:

In the meantime, this has to be good news for Phillip Rivers, no?

He did a decent job when Tebow was his QB. I guess time will only tell what kinda hire his is.

I think it's a great move and a great fit offensively. It's a boom or bust in regards if he's head coaching material or not. A risk I wouldn't have minded if the Eagles grabbed him. Now I think I'm on the Gus Bus.

So three days after he's allowed to interview he has a job? That's...weird.

New Chargers coach Mike McCoy plans to hire an offensive coordinator who will also handle play-calling duties.

McCoy promised to be "heavily involved" in game-planning and installation, but "game-day responsibilities" will keep him from calling plays. It's the opposite of Norv Turner's approach the past few seasons. McCoy cited the presence of Philip Rivers as a primary factor in accepting the job. The respect is mutual. "Of the potential candidates, I can honestly say this is the guy I was hoping for," Rivers told XEPRS-AM on Tuesday. "I feel great about it."

Source: NFL.com

Former Denver Assistants abound in the AFC West. >_>