Sign in to follow this  
Thanatos

Society and the Advance of Moral Values

If frivolous divorces are the cost of not forcing victims of domestic abuse to stay with their abuser, I'd say thats more than a fair trade off.

I will get to the rest later. That said though this immediately got me. Think about that. How is that not a downgrade in morals ?

I have mixed feelings about it. I agree with blots, for the most part.

Though there is quite a bit evidence to support that the divorce rate is way down. Its actually much lower than it was in my childhood (and I imagine your childhood) years. There are theories about why this is happening some say its all good some are much more negative. My personal belief is that there are a lot of people that grew up in the 70's and 80's that came from a home with divorced parents and they don't want their kids to go through it. I know that's how I feel, having parents that were divorced I wouldn't ever want to do that to my kids.

If frivolous divorces are the cost of not forcing victims of domestic abuse to stay with their abuser, I'd say thats more than a fair trade off.

Where are you getting that these people are being abused ?

Ngata, another thing about divorce. I think my point about the no fault divorce was... it doesn't necessarily reflect lowered morals as much as it does that it was just easier to get one. The desire may still have been there but you had to jump through hoops to separate. Is that lowered morals or just less government regulation of our private lives? Perhaps the morality was the same but people just felt stuck you see? If it means the government has less say in my private life, I'll gladly sacrifice a divorce rate that skyrocketed three and four decades ago but has come down in my lifetime.

If you don't like crime you could always move to Spain... yeah they kidnap tourists sometimes and there is rampant pickpocketing, but considering the latter is the only major crime I know of in Spain its not that bad. It's easier to defend against a pickpocketer than a man with a pistol.

:shifty: