Sign in to follow this  
Glanvilles Grits

NCAA Athlete Restrictions?

I was listening to a radio show this morning when this was brought up by a caller, and it really got me thinking a lot about it throughout the day (Slow day at work, nothing else to do).

Before I move forward, this isn't another thread involving NCAA athletes being paid to PLAY their respective sport. More about the restriction that are imposed on these athletes (students) that really prevent them from doing a lot of things. I'm not just talking about restrictions keeping them from having fun and partying, but actually making a living, or even in some cases taking trips to visit family members and friends!

Let's hit the travel restrictions first. I didn't know this until a couple months ago, and most recently it was covered with Louisville winning the National Championship (They wanted to take a trip to see the womens team play in their final, but the NCAA disallowed it until the day of the game when they overturned the decision, thus making it pointless to take the trip). Anyway, that's a totally different story for another time. Athletes are restricted from any sort of travel by air or boat, they need to seek permission from NCAA and school officials before they can board any such travel means. For some reason, a train is alright. Ok, I suppose there is a lot that we can understand about this, but then that brings me to athletes working.

Student Athletes are not allowed to work while enrolled in a sport. This to me is strange. Why? Obviously they aren't being paid to play whatever sport they are playing yet, that's fine. Why can't they get a job under their own power though? What does that accomplish? You can say "Oh, well they get a free scholarship and meal plans, blah blah blah." but that's a bunch of crap quite frankly. I know a few college athletes and I can speak to the fact that the "allowance" they get for food really isn't all that impressive. It's actually a pretty tight budget where if you don't be extremely careful, you're basically screwed. If these schools and broadcasting channels are making millions upon millions off these student athletes, why can't these athletes get a job on the side? There were a lot of reasons thrown out, but then someone said, what makes them any different from a normal student with a full scholarship? I've seen a lot of students on scholarships with part time, some even full time jobs on the side of school. Why can't these athletes get a job? Does anyone know the practical answer to this? I've been pondering it all day, and I can't seem to even find anything about it online.

Sorry for the round about rant/chain paragraphs, but I'm really trying to figure this out. It makes no sense.

I did not know they were not allowed to work. Are we sure this is the case? Seems really dumb to me.

They can't get a "normal" job like myself or you would have. They may get a job that involves a community service, but they can only be paid for the exact work they do, and it basically has to be minimum wage. No more, no less. They can't receive tips, rides to work from a fellow employee or anyone associated with the school. They are also limited to I think 12 hours a week if they DO find a job. That's everything I picked up on when listening to the show. It's kind of just ridiculous. I'm going to have to give my buddy a call and see the exact restrictions on working that they have on him.

I've thought the NCAA was stupid for a long time now. This doesn't change anything.

How are they even allowed to do that? Doesn't that cut into a person's freedom of... something? Seems like that would very much be against basic decency. What is their logic for doing this?

They are allowed to work. I used to think otherwise too. Its just that they can't get a job with any special treatment to them. The usual restrictions for them are that they have too busy of a schedule with practices and events and whatnot.

So they can work for McDonalds and get paid what a normal fry good does, but they cant be a salesman at the local car dealership and get 50k a year and not have to show up.

Now see, that makes a hell of a lot more sense.

I know a few college athletes and I can speak to the fact that the "allowance" they get for food really isn't all that impressive. It's actually a pretty tight budget where if you don't be extremely careful, you're basically screwed.

So like every other college student then? I ate like a king on my college meal plan. I had no money but needed less then 100 bucks a week, with a pretty decent... um habit. I realize this was 8 or so years ago but it wasn't a ton of money then either.

I also was a college athlete for my freshmen year. It was D-3 but I'd have been hard pressed to get a job during the season or pre season. I imagine full ride scholarship d1 athletes would have even less time thn I did to get a job, whether they were in season or not.

edit: I do think their restrictions are a bit much though. I see why they have travel and job restrictions but I think they should come up with better way to do it.

Edited by GA_Eagle

So, hourly yes. Salary, no?

I mean, they could get a salaried job, but its hard to imagine a player earning that money given his schedule. For that matter, if McDonalds offers him $10 an hour and pays him even though he isn't working, thats a violation too.