Sign in to follow this  
housemd

Cards acquire Javier Arenas

Cardinals acquired CB Javier Arenas from the Chiefs in exchange for FB Anthony Sherman.

A nickel corner, Arenas was expected to be a return ace when the Chiefs made him the No. 50 pick of the 2010 draft, but he's proven to be highly ordinary on special teams. He'll be a candidate to man the slot in Arizona, but the presence of Patrick Peterson and rookie Tyrann Mathieu means Arenas won't be featured on returns. Arenas played a career-high 724 snaps last season, but graded out as the No. 51 corner in Pro Football Focus' ratings. The Cards have now added Arenas, Antoine Cason and Jerraud Powers at cornerback. Mathieu will play safety, but could eventually see time in the slot.

Arenas is a talented guy and the Cardinals got him for scraps. However, the Chiefs did completely rework their CB group this off season. He probably wouldn't have got a bunch of time on the field anyway. Nice trade for Zona.

• Upvote 1

Should be a good slot CB for them. Maybe they will use him on punt returns to take some pressure off Peterson too.

• Upvote 1

Chiefs got the better deal. Sherman has serious potential in the right hands. I think hell be a better fit in KC than Arenas in AZ. My money says Cason beats them out for #2. He'll see time competing to round out the backfield but I think Powers and Mathieu offer more.

Arians does not value the position... maybe he should look at the alarming amount of 2 and 3 FB teams (on active roster) winning Superbowls. Maybe there really isn't a need on his offense, I think it is a poor move. Why improve when you can adapt?

Sherman however, has the skillset to thrive in a Reid system. Being a FB he won't get any statistical love, but he is an underrated athlete who can make blocks in the screen game as well as upfield. Charles is gonna love this guy.

Chiefs got the better deal. Sherman has serious potential in the right hands. I think hell be a better fit in KC than Arenas in AZ. My money says Cason beats them out for #2. He'll see time competing to round out the backfield but I think Powers and Mathieu offer more.

Arians does not value the position... maybe he should look at the alarming amount of 2 and 3 FB teams (on active roster) winning Superbowls. Maybe there really isn't a need on his offense, I think it is a poor move. Why improve when you can adapt?

Sherman however, has the skillset to thrive in a Reid system. Being a FB he won't get any statistical love, but he is an underrated athlete who can make blocks in the screen game as well as upfield. Charles is gonna love this guy.

Mathieu is not playing CB for them. They said he will be playing FS.

They say that now yes.

Look at the guy though, he's a CB or a tweener. He may see safety duties, but id be surprised if he sticks there. Does he look like the last line of defense for the bruiser backs in the NFCW?

Edit - I should add I live in AZ, and have become a bit of a cards fan over the years.

Edited by the Lions fan

I love what the cardinals did this entire offseason (with the exception of drafting a qb, I dont trust palmer long term) including this Javier Arenas pick. Worst case scenario he provides depth to an already pretty good secondary

I love what the cardinals did this entire offseason (with the exception of drafting a qb, I dont trust palmer long term) including this Javier Arenas pick. Worst case scenario he provides depth to an already pretty good secondary

I agree with you. :yep:

Also, given that Carson Palmer is 33 years old, I think that Bruce Arians and GM Steve Keim never thought Palmer could be any type of long term solution. He is a major upgrade over the garbage QB's that the Cardinals had last season, and will be a good starter for them for like the next 3 or 4 seasons. :yep:

They say that now yes.

Look at the guy though, he's a CB or a tweener. He may see safety duties, but id be surprised if he sticks there. Does he look like the last line of defense for the bruiser backs in the NFCW?

Edit - I should add I live in AZ, and have become a bit of a cards fan over the years.

:clap: Glad to see another budding Cards fan on TGP!

Just wondering since you mentioned it in your post in this thread, where in AZ do you live? I went to a game there at U of P Stadium in late november vs the Rams, and thought it was a great place with very good food and friendly people. :yep: