Sign in to follow this  
Dutch

Eagles State of the Franchise 2013

Alright, I can't keep letting Dutch have all the fun in this thread. My thoughts on training camp and preseason so far:

-Michael Vick should be the starter at QB. It's obvious from the first two games that he's a slight level above Foles, whose shortcomings in arm strength have been slightly exposed. Granted, Vick may still be a turnover machine, but that's for the regular season to decide.

-I'm really excited about the potential of our offense. I like how Chip has set it up so that they can go no-huddle at any time after any play, something that I find more dangerous than an all-out no-huddle attack. It forces the opposing defense to be on high alert, so to speak, constantly. Losing Maclin for the year was a bummer, but it looks like DeSean is poised for a good year. Oh, and Shady? Just look at Dutch's signature. The man is nasty.

-Our defense is going to blow. Pure and simple. I don't think this is Bill Davis' fault; Rome wasn't built in a day. He has inherited an awful squad and he's overseeing a scheme change. There are going to be some growing pains. It's just going to be painful to watch at times--for now, anyway.

-Overall, my thoughts on the season haven't changed: I'm excited even though I'm not expecting much. In a best case scenario, we turn into one of those great offense/bad defense teams and play a lot of shootouts, 38-35 type games, winning around 8 of them and missing the playoffs. We'll see.

Gonna be an interesting season. Go Eagles. :rock:

BREAKING: Chip Kelly has named Michael Vick the Eagles starting QB.

Michael Vick Named Starting QB

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/article-1/Michael-Vick-Named-Starting-QB/7b9b5f93-7450-46e6-af59-7e3c45ca82bc

There was no playing coy, no gamesmanship with the media, no hiding behind the curtain. Head coach Chip Kelly addressed the media before Tuesday’s practice and, without prompting, offered the news for which everyone’s been waiting.

"First off, I'll tell you guys, we've evaluated the situation and Michael Vick is going to start for us against the Washington Redskins," Kelly said. "He's our starter for the season."

After 38 "opportunities for evaluation," from minicamp to OTAs to Training Camp to walkthroughs to meetings to two preseason games, Kelly and the rest of the Eagles coaching staff met on Monday and made the decision to call off the team’s quarterback competition. Simply put, Vick gave them no choice.

"I think Mike is ahead right now and I think Nick (Foles) made it very difficult though," Kelly said. "It wasn't where one guy went North and the other guy went South. I think both of them upped their game but at this point in time, Mike's ahead and we want to move forward. This is a one quarterback operation. This isn't going to be someone's going to look over their shoulder or we're going to alternate by series. I think Mike is ahead right now.

"Obviously you always wanted to get a guy in place. We didn't want to let this linger, but I think it also expressed itself on the field."

There was no team meeting called to make the announcement, Kelly simply met with the quarterbacks Tuesday morning to inform them of the team’s decision.

"I met with all the quarterbacks this morning. They all understand the plan and know where we are moving forward," Kelly said. "Nick was great. Nick's a professional. Nick's outstanding. I think Nick and Mike have a great relationship together. They're both pulling for each other and that's part of it. For us to have a good football team, two key ingredients are chemistry and attitude and when you see two guys like that approach this situation in that manner, I think it reflects great on the entire team. You have two class guys in Mike and Nick and I think they're both rooting for each other.

Chip Kelly and his starting quarterback

"In this league, you better have a couple quarterbacks ready to go. I mentioned that again to Nick today and I think he has to approach it like he's the starter, that's got to be his mentality going into this so he can prepare like he's the starter. I met with Mike and he said, 'I'm still going to look at this like it's an open competition because I've got to continue to get better every day.' I think both of those guys, and really the entire quarterback room in meeting with all those guys, I think their attitude has been outstanding."

And so Vick will now prepare to lead the Eagles into Jacksonville for the third preseason game, where Kelly said the starters are expected to play at least through the first half, if not longer. For Vick, this is actually familiar territory. It was in Jacksonville in 2010 where Vick made his first start after he was named as the team’s official starting quarterback. He will make that same trip this weekend, as he hopes to improve on a ridiculous 13-of-15 preseason passing mark that has earned him a 113.2 quarterback rating (taking into account the meaningless hail mary interception on the final play of the first half against the Carolina Panthers).

"What impresses me about Michael though, is that he really has fun," Kelly said. "He enjoys playing this game, and it's great to be around guys that love playing football. He has a passion for this game, and not that Nick doesn't, I think Nick has a passion for this game too. I think it's really important that we have a bunch of guys like that, but that's great for us as a staff to be around a bunch of guys that love the game like that."

The timing of the decision also frees Vick, Foles and the designers of the Eagles offense to be more open about the direction they’d like to take moving forward.

"I think there is a next step for us to take and I think that by naming (Vick the starter) we'll get a better understanding of that because I would be leery, myself, if I was in a competition to say – you're going to say you like everything because maybe they're going to judge me on what I like and don't like," Kelly said. "So we've stayed away from that a little bit, but now as we start to get into this, it will be a little more player-specific in terms of us being able to run some things on the offensive side."

Kelly has said all along that the only timing that mattered was that the team had a quarterback in place before the game-planning started the week before the season opener against the Washington Redskins. But he also insisted that when a clear picture emerged of who that quarterback would be, the timing would make itself evident.

"We didn't have any preconceived notions of how this was going to work itself out," said Kelly. "It was just over the course of time, we let it play itself out. I think the one thing we learned from this group is I think we've got two guys and maybe even three guys that can play in this league. It was a healthy competition. Mike completed over 80 percent. I think Nick was at 79 percent. I think they both made each other better and I was very happy with how they both handled the situation because it can, at times, get testy. It can, at times, be one guy competing against another, but I thought it was a healthy competition and I thought it brought out the best in both those guys."

Anyone who watched the preseason games pretty much saw this coming. Vick played better than Foles. I've been pretty much on the fence back and forth with Vick but I've said that if Chip Kelly believes he can fix Vick, then I'd like to see what he can do. The only way I would want Vick to start is if Chip can get Vick to play like he did in 2010 or better. The last two years of Vick wasn't totally his fault. It was a mixture of bad offensive line play, bad coaching schemes/ play calling with bad decisions by Vick and turnovers. I think Chip put his players in the best situation to succeed and that will not involve having Vick throw 40 times a game and barely running the ball. I'm positive we will run the ball a lot and our offensive line is healthy and playing great which will help out loads in the running game and in the passing game with Vick. Either way, I wanted whoever to win the competition to start and I'm going to support whoever my QB is. I'm excited for this season and can't wait until MNF against the Redskins! Go E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!! :rock:

• Upvote 1

Chip Kelly makes the right call by starting Michael Vick

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2013/8/20/4640394/chip-kelly-makes-right-call-starting-michael-vick-philadelphia-eagles-qb

There's no doubt in my mind that Chip Kelly made the right decision when he named Michael Vick the Eagles starting quarterback today.

It's not because I'm a Vick fan. It's not because I'm a Nick Foles detractor. It's not for any other reason than I wanted to see the best Eagles QB win the job. It's as simple as that. Play the guy who deserves the job. Play the guy who plays the best.

Remember, Chip Kelly came to Philadelphia to win football games. He did not come to Philadelphia to take a year off. Chip can't afford to spend a year simply evaluating a young QB (Foles or Barkley). I've discussed the argument against "starting the future" before, so I'll just post it here again:

So while the youth movement argument holds some merit, it is a flawed argument when you consider Chip's priorities. Once again, Chip came here to win now. He's on a 5 year contract, and while the money is fully guaranteed, his job is not. If Chip proves to be a failure after his first 3 seasons, he could be on his way out of Philly. This is why Chip can't afford to at least challenge the young QBs in training camp and pre-season. That's exactly the reason Michael Vick was re-signed: healthy competition will ensure the winner earns his job. Everything indicates that the Eagles QB competition is wide open. If Chip truly wants to win now, he'll pick the QB that gives him the best chance to do so.

There was an open QB competition from the second Chip Kelly was hired and now Vick is the winner. Vick has earned the job by putting together a solid training camp and absolutely gorgeous preseason.

Let's look at the numbers:

Michael Vick - (30 snaps) 13 comp, 15 att, 86.7 completion %. 199 yards, 13.3 yards/attempt, 1 TD, 1 INT, 1 sack, 113.2 QB rating.

As everyone knows, Vick's interception came on a hail mary attempt. Take away that meaningless interception and Vick is 13/14. Then consider that the only incompletion Vick threw was a dropped pass by the receiver. Very impressive.

Nick Foles - (31 snaps) 11 comp, 14 att, 78.6 completion %. 100 yards, 7.1 yards/attempt, 0 TD (1 rushing), 1 INT, 1 sack, 1 fumble lost, QB rating 66.7.

Foles hasn't looked bad by any stretch, but he hasn't been as impressive as Vick. He's also turned the ball over two times too many.

As with any statistical reference, small sample size needs to be acknowledged. 30 snaps isn't necessarily a great indicator of how these players will perform in a bigger sample size. For right now, though, it's all the Eagles have. Vick and Foles have looked too even in training camp practices to make a clear decision based on those performances. Not to mention the limited conditions of practice - limited pressure from the defense, limited contact, etc.

Not only did Chip make the right decision, but just as important he used the right process to get there. I wrote about this about the Eagles QB competition back in February:

Everything Chip is saying indicates there will be an open competition in the off-season and that's something to get excited about. If the job was just being handed to one QB, that would be concerning. No QB on this roster deserves an uncontested chance at the job. QB candidates will be fighting for a starting job and playing their hardest to earn the opportunity. May the best man win, indeed.

Clearly, the competition has brought out the best in both players. Who's to say Vick or Foles would be playing as well as they are if they weren't being challenged? It's a question that can't be answered for sure, but it's apparent that the competition hasn't hurt.

It's not all rainbows and butterflies. There are definitely some legitimate concerns with Vick starting.

What happens if Vick gets hurt? Perhaps the worst kept secret of the NFL is that Vick has only made it through a full season once. It's not enough for Vick to play well to keep his job. He has to stay healthy enough to be able to play. Chip Kelly has made this clear in his motto - "Get down, first down, touchdown." Of course, taking off and running isn't the only way Vick gets hurt. A number of his injuries occur in the pocket. There is some reason for optimism in this area. With the Eagles offensive line looking very improved in 2013, there's a chance Vick will have cleaner pockets which means taking less hits. Then there's the fact that Chip's offense requires the QB to get the ball out fast. The quicker Vick gets rid of the ball, the less time he gives the defense to hit him.

Can the Eagles trust Vick? There's concern about Vick reverting to his poor performances in prior years. Vick has to prove he can play well now without turning the ball over and making mistakes. If he isn't playing well enough, his starting job could be in trouble.

Lastly, there are concerns about what this means for the Eagles beyond this year. Do the Eagles re-sign Vick after this year? Those are questions are best saved for a later time. It's unfair to speculate that far ahead without knowing how this years plays out.

For now, Michael Vick is the Eagles starting QB. He is playing well and deserves the job. It was obvious.

Chip made the right call.

Michael Vick plans to run more for Philadelphia Eagles

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000232812/article/michael-vick-plans-to-run-more-for-philadelphia-eagles

Michael Vick's roller-coaster ride in Philadelphia looked to be over at the end of last season. When Chip Kelly arrived, Vick got a second life.

The Eagles' starting quarterback is one of the most fascinating players in the NFL once again because he's in an up-tempo offense perfectly suited to his strengths. And those strengths include running the football more.

"I will be a threat," Vick said Thursday, via ESPN.com. "I'm going to have my opportunities to do the things I like to do within this offense and to run the football. That's exciting."

So what about the extra pounding that Vick will take by running more?

"We have an answer for that -- 220 pounds standing right here, soaking wet," Vick said with confidence. "Hopefully I'll be able to maintain (taking) the hits. I've been taking my vitamins, taking calcium like never before, just doing things that will give me an edge."

Vick last played 16 games in a season in 2006, the same year he ran for more than 1,000 yards. That feels like a lifetime ago. It's hard to imagine him achieving either milestone this season, but it'll be fun to watch him try.

As I mentioned on our latest "Around The League Podcast," nothing Vick does surprises me anymore. He could go right back to being a top-shelf quarterback or he could badly slump. Considering his track record, he might do both in the same season.

Foles might be starting sooner then I thought lol.. Hopefully, Vick does stay healthy though and learn to avoid unnecessary hits.

Felix Jones traded to Pittsburgh Steelers by Eagles

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000233090/article/felix-jones-traded-to-pittsburgh-steelers-by-eagles

The Pittsburgh Steelers desperately need another option at running back. The Philadelphia Eagles have no use for Felix Jones.

Those two truths led to another one-for-one NFL trade on Friday morning. NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reported that Jones was sent to Pittsburgh in exchange for linebacker Adrien Robinson, according to a source informed of the deal. The trade was first reported by Adam Caplan of SiriusXM NFL Radio.

The Steelers signed Robinson as an undrafted free agent last year out of Temple, although he had no defensive stats in 12 active games for the team. Robinson did help on special teams and is listed as an outside linebacker, a position lacking depth in Philadelphia.

Jones was the odd man out in an Eagles backup running back competition in which Chris Polk and Bryce Brown were clearly in front. There were strong doubts whether Jones, the former first-round pick of the Dallas Cowboys, was even going to make the Eagles.

In Pittsburgh, Jones will compete with Jonathan Dwyer, LaRod Stephens-Howling and Baron Batch for a roster spot. Rookie Le'Veon Bell is expected to miss the start of the season with a mid-foot sprain, leaving Isaac Redman as the team's expected starter. There's no guarantee Jones even will make the Steelers roster.

This is why I love Howie. It was clear that Felix Jones wasn't going to make the team but I'm glad that Howie got something for him. Linebacker is an area in need of depth as well.

Kenny Phillips released by Philadelphia Eagles

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000234129/article/kenny-phillips-released-by-philadelphia-eagles

The New York Giants might have a replacement for safety Stevie Brown, who is out for the season with a torn ACL.

Kenny Phillips, a 41-game starter for the Giants from 2008-12, was released by the Philadelphia Eagles on Sunday, a source told about the move confirms to NFL.com's Ian Rapoport. The transaction was first reported by ProFootballTalk.

A Pro Bowl caliber safety early in his career, Phillips has lost a few steps due to chronic knee injuries. He missed the Eagles' past two preseason games with a quadriceps issue.

With no money guaranteed on an incentive-laden one-year contract, the Eagles opted to cut ties. It's a telling move considering the struggles of safeties Patrick Chung, Nate Allen and rookie Earl Wolff in preseason action.

The Giants did attempt to re-sign Phillips before the start of free agency. The money wasn't right, likely because the team had Brown ready to take over, and Phillips wanted to gauge his market value.

The major hurdle to a reunion is Phillips' ability to pass a physical.

Sucks to see a talented player burdened by injuries.

Eagles cut 11 players, including Kenny Phillips

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2013/8/25/4657782/eagles-cut-11-players-including-kenny-phillips

The Philadelphia Eagles today announced they have released the following 10 players:

TE Derek Carrier

DE Eddie McClam

WR Nick Miller

S Kenny Phillips (Per ProFootballTalk - Eagles have not yet confirmed)

T Nic Purcell

DE/OL Isaac Remington

TE Will Shaw

DT Daryell Walker

CB Eddie Whitley (waived/injured)

LS James Winchester

P Brad Wing

The players of note are Carrier, Wing, Whitley, and of course, Phillips.

Here's what I wrote about Carrier a couple weeks ago:

One player who seems like he should be a standout in shells and shorts is TE Derek Carrier. Carrier had a ridiculous pro day in 2012. Since 1999, 251 tight ends have competed at the Combine. Carrier was better than almost all of them in a number of drills:

Carrier_medium

Carrier has yet to stand out.

Still, it's a little surprising that Carrier wasn't at least kept around for the practice squad.

Wing seemed to be a fan favorite, but he was clearly out-punted by Donnie Jones.

Whitley caught a tough break when he hurt his knee against the Jaguars. Whitley had a legitimate chance to make the team.

As for Phillips, I had heard way back at the East-West Shrine Game week of practices that personnel people around the league thought Phillips' knee was degenerative, and that he was done. He never looked right all throughout camp, and was a shell of the really good player he used to be with the Giants. Phillips was also hampered by other injuries, and couldn't stay on the field. His release doesn't come as a surprise in the slightest.

The Eagles roster now stands at 77 players. All NFL teams must cut down their rosters to 75 players by 4 pm ET on Tuesday, August 27.

The Eagles will like IR Phillip Hunt, which means they have one cut to go.

UPDATE: The Eagles have also cut Jamar Chaney, per Adam Caplan:

First Eagles pre-season game I've been able to catch. LeSean McCoy is going to dominate this year. Our o line if Peters is anywhere near his '10-'11 form is going to be dominant.

Defensively our LB's suck and we need Kenny Phillips on the field playing to the level he's capable. He could end up being a huge difference maker if he can stay healthy and play quality football. Vinny Curry...the guy needs to see the field. I love the depth we have at the 5 tech. We definitely have some key pieces. I don't expect much this year. I think something like picking 11-15 or so in the draft, but there is hope. If Chip is the real deal we'll be a playoff contender soon.

Oh and I am definitely happy with the changes Chip has made. He's an innovator and I think he's the type of guy who will make adjustments and roll with the punches which is something Reid wasn't able to do. It's early but Kelly has impressed me thus far.

Edited by seanbrock
  • Upvote 1

First Eagles pre-season game I've been able to catch. LeSean McCoy is going to dominate this year. Our o line if Peters is anywhere near his '10-'11 form is going to be dominant.

Defensively our LB's suck and we need Kenny Phillips on the field playing to the level he's capable. He could end up being a huge difference maker if he can stay healthy and play quality football. Vinny Curry...the guy needs to see the field. I love the depth we have at the 5 tech. We definitely have some key pieces. I don't expect much this year. I think something like picking 11-15 or so in the draft, but there is hope. If Chip is the real deal we'll be a playoff contender soon.

Oh and I am definitely happy with the changes Chip has made. He's an innovator and I think he's the type of guy who will make adjustments and roll with the punches which is something Reid wasn't able to do. It's early but Kelly has impressed me thus far.

Kenny Phillips got cut last night.

Kenny Phillips got cut last night.

If Kurt Coleman plays this year besides special teams I'm going to flip.

• Upvote 1

Well, outside that first game, Kendricks has definitely improved. He's been all around the ball and Billy Davis has starting to blitz him and he's been getting to the QB. He's been getting a good amount of pressures and QB hits. He's an extremely talented and athletic LB; possibly the most athletic LB in the league (especially from a speed standpoint). They just need to utilize him better and he just needs to clean up a few things. I think Kendricks will be fine in the long run; at least I hope.

If Kurt Coleman plays this year besides special teams I'm going to flip.

I would flip as well. He's a special teamer at best and I really don't even want him there...lol. But I think Patrick Chung and Nate Allen will start. Chung seems competent but far from a star. At least he's a really good tackler. Haven't seen anything impressive in coverage yet though. Nate Allen always looks lost out there and looks like he's playing not to make a mistake. I'm hoping Earl Wolff can get coached up and solidify that spot. I like his raw athletic ability. Once he gets more disciplined, I think he will be a good player for us.

Looking at the Eagles' roster following first cuts

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2013/8/26/4658110/looking-at-the-eagles-roster-following-first-cuts

The Eagles cut 12 players on Sunday and the team's roster is just a few days away from cutting several more. The team is still searching for answers at several positions and the dwindling of the roster may help fine tune its search in the fourth preseason game on Thursday. With the roster a bit smaller, let's recap those who have been lost and those who are still among the roster.

The Lost

CB/S Eddie Whitley (injured/waived)

P Brad Wing

DL Eddie McClam

LB Jamar Chaney

DL Issac Remington

TE Will Shaw

S Kenny Phillips

OT Nic Purcell

DT Daryell Walker

TE Derek Carrier

LS James Winchester

WR/KR Nick Miller

The Hurt (italics still active)

WR Arrelious Benn (IR)

WR Jeremy Maclin (IR)

LB Jason Phillips (IR)

LB Phillip Hunt (torn ACL)

CB Curtis Marsh (broken hand)

CB Brandon Hughes (broken hand)

The Current Roster

QB) Michael Vick, Nick Foles, Matt Barkley, Dennis Dixon, G.J. Kinne (5)

RB) LeSean McCoy, Bryce Brown, Chris Polk, Matthew Tucker (4)

TE) Brent Celek, Zach Ertz, James Casey, Clay Harbor, Emil Igwenagu (5)

WR) DeSean Jackson, Riley Cooper, Jason Avant, Damaris Johnson, Greg Salas, Russell Shepard, Ifeanyi Momah, Jeff Maehl, Will Murphy (9)

OL) Jason Peters, Evan Mathis, Jason Kelce, Todd Herremans, Lane Johnson, Dennis Kelly, Allen Barbre, Julian Vandervelde, Dallas Reynolds, Matt Tennant, Danny Watkins, Matt Kopa, Matt Tobin, Michael Bamiro (15)

DL) Fletcher Cox, Isaac Sopoaga, Cedric Thornton, Bennie Logan, Vinny Curry, Clifton Geathers, Damion Square, Joe Kruger, David King, Antonio Dixon (10)

OLB) Trent Cole, Connor Barwin, Brandon Graham, Chris McCoy, Everette Brown, Travis Long, Adrian Robinson (7)

ILB) DeMeco Ryans, Mychal Kendricks, Casey Matthews, Emmanuel Acho, Jake Knott (5)

CB) Bradley Fletcher, Cary Williams, Brandon Boykin, Trevard Lindley, Jordan Poyer (5)

S) Patrick Chung, Nate Allen, Earl Wolff, Kurt Coleman, Colt Anderson, David Sims (6)

LS) Jon Dorenbos (1)

K) Alex Henery (1)

P) Donnie Jones (1)

With the lack of cornerback depth due to injury, the Eagles will likely pick a player off of waivers or through trade. The safety depth is also of a concern and it seems that the team likes a lot of their young offensive linemen. It will be interesting to see how much time the starters receive (if at all) on Thursday, with so many players in need a serious look.

As long as Kurt Coleman is cut, I'll be a happy man.

Philadelphia Eagles Training Camp 2013 Notes & Quotes - Monday 8/26/2013

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2013/8/26/4660078/philadelphia-eagles-training-camp-practice-2013-notes-quotes-monday-8-26-2013

Let's jump right in to today's notes from Eagles training camp:

Practice Notes:

• No pads today. Shorts and shells only.

• Today was the first practice after the first round of cuts. Less players means more reps for the ones still around. Today was also the first day of open practice since Michael Vick has been named the starter.

• Guess which Eagles RB made extra effort on protecting the ball?

https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Eagles&src=hash

Bryce Brown gets coach Kelly's attention at practice. #holdontotheball #nfl #Trainingcamp pic.twitter.com/dnJicfW48T

Later in practice Brown went down and needed assistance to get off the field. He spent some time at the trainer's table and had his ankle taped up before returning to practice. The Eagles dodged a bullet there.

• Connor Barwin is still clearly the Eagles best OLB in coverage. He suffocated Celek in coverage and broke up a Vick pass.

• James Casey hasn't been used a lot in preseason but I don't think it's because he's not any good. Chip's saving him for the regular season, I'd wager. He's had a good camp.

• Bradley Fletcher broke up a couple passes. It hasn't been the smoothest preseason for him, but I have reason to believe he can play better than he has.

• The Eagles have a new pass rusher. Chip Kelly simulated rushing the passer (Vick) with his arms up during one rep. Move over, DeMarcus Ware and Clay Matthews. There's a new feared pass rusher in the NFL.

• Vick took too long to throw on some reps today. It led to a few passes being batted down as they reached the WR. Just as I noted this, Foles took too long to throw on a couple of his reps.

• With the Eagles lacking depth at CB, S Kurt Coleman was taking soem reps at CB.

• Clay Harbor made an impressive one handed catch in the endzone on a Nick Foles throw. Unless he's traded (which I doubt), he's going to make the roster.

• FIGHT! A brief scrap between LeSean McCoy and Brandon Boykin. They were quickly separated.

• Emmanuel Acho almost picked off a short Matt Barkley pass. He bobbled it in his hands before dropping it. It's been a good training camp for him as well.

• Attendance note: there were 12,000 people in attendance at the Linc today. 110,000 total for the five open practices. Well done, Eagles fans.

• Former Eagles at practice: Ike Reese, Vince Papale, Irving Fryar.

Quotes:

HC Chip Kelly

• Chip said the Eagles starters won't play against the New York Jets on Thursday night in the preseason finale.

• Nick Foles will start on Thursday. Matt Barkley will also get a lot of reps.

• Chip said he's been impressed with Donnie Jones. Clear winner of the punter battle.

• Chip seemed to say Bryce Brown's fumble wasn't as much the way he held the ball as much as it was the defender hitting Bryce well.

• Chip said there "will be a point in time" when DeSean's going to return punts this year.

Injury Notes:

• Did not practice: OL Allen Barbre (illness), OL Matt Tennant (illness), OL Dennis Kelly (back), CB Curtis Marsh (hand), CB Brandon Hughes (hand), OLB Phillip Hunt (ACL).

-------

Up next: Today was the last day of Eagles training camp open practice. They have two more closed practices after today (Tuesday, Wednesday) and then their last preseason game against the Jets on Thursday.

So this is your last Eagles training camp notes post for 2013! Thanks for following all of my coverage here at BGN - I hope you enjoyed it.

I'm just waiting for the regular season at this point. This next game won't mean too much but I'll still be excited to see our depth perform. Definitely glad to see Chip taking the initiative and concern in working with Bryce Brown 1 on 1 with handling the ball. Hopefully Bradley Fletcher improves in the regular season but Kurt Coleman getting some snaps at CB... Not optimistic about this move but it's worth a shot because safety sure isn't his thing.

Eagles down to 75 after they 'waive/injured' Phillip Hunt

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2013/8/27/4664826/eagles-down-to-75-after-they-waive-injured-phillip-hunt

22 cuts to go...

Phillip Hunt was waived/injured by the Eagles today. If he goes unclaimed by another team by 4pm tomorrow, Hunt will revert back to the Eagles' injured reserve list.

Hunt was a breakout candidate last year after having a great training camp, but he was quiet this year. Hunt also was undersized, and didn't fit with Chip Kelly's whole "Big people beat up little people" theme.

The Eagles are now down to 75 players. They need to be down to 53 on Saturday. In case you missed it, here is who the BGN staff believes will be the final 53.

22 cuts to go...

He showed much promise in training camp and preseason last year but had a very quiet regular season. Hasn't done too much so far but they don't believe he will fit our scheme. I can say though I think that Phillip Hunt can thrive on another team.

Philadelphia Eagles cut 13 players which leaves the roster at 62

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2013/8/30/4676458/philadelphia-eagles-cut-13-players-which-leaves-roster-62-dennis-dixon

With the Philadelphia Eagles needing to cut the roster down to 53 by Saturday August 31st by 6 PM, they have made 13 roster moves.

Here's who the Eagles released:

There are no surprises in these cuts. Here's a quick breakdown on each player:

OLB Everette Brown - Depth OLB, didn't show enough.

NT Antonio Dixon - Couldn't stay healthy in training camp and didn't show enough in preseason.

QB Dennis Dixon - Still could make the practice squad. Veteran depth.

DL David King - 7th round rookie who didn't flash.

QB GJ Kinne - Could make sense as a practice squad QB. Read more on that here.

OL Matt Kopa - Depth OL.

CB Trevard Lindley - Wasn't good enough and suffered an injury.

WR Ifeanyi Momah - Great size but never stood out. Maybe a practice squad candidate.

WR Will Murphy - The former Oregon WR thanks Chip for the training camp invite.

C Dallas Reynolds - Beat out by Julian Vandervelde for the backup center job.

OLB Adrian Robinson - The Eagles traded Felix Jones for him. Jones was going to be cut anyway. Depth OLB body.

OL Matt Tennant - Depth OL.

DE/OLB Joe Kruger - Seems to have been placed on injured reserve with a "phantom injury". Best case scenario for him. Needs more time to develop his body and his game.

The roster now stands at 62. 9 more cuts need to take place before the deadline tomorrow.

No surprises.

Danny Watkins has been cut, delivering the final verdict on a truly awful 2011 draft by the Birds.

1st (23) Danny Watkins

2nd (54) Jaiquawn Jarrett

3rd (90) Curtis Marsh

4th (116) Casey Mathews

4th (120) Alex Henery

5th (129) Dion Lewis

5th (161) Julian Vandervele

6th (191) Jason Kelce

6th (193) Brian Rolle

7th (237) Greg Lloyd

7th (240) Stanley Havili

:facepalm:

Edited by SteVo

Danny Watkins has been cut, delivering the final verdict on a truly awful 2011 draft by the Birds.

1st (23) Danny Watkins

3rd (90) Curtis Marsh

4th (116) Casey Mathews

4th (120) Alex Henery

5th (129) Dion Lewis

6th (191) Jason Kelce

6th (193) Brian Rolle

7th (237) Greg Lloyd

7th (240) Stanley Havili

Henery and Kelce were both pretty awesome picks.

Henery and Kelce were both pretty awesome picks.

Still a huge swing and miss on the first four picks. I guess Marsh and Matthews could still technically pan out into something, though.

1st (23) Danny Watkins

3rd (90) Curtis Marsh

4th (116) Casey Mathews

4th (120) Alex Henery

5th (129) Dion Lewis

6th (191) Jason Kelce

6th (193) Brian Rolle

7th (237) Greg Lloyd

7th (240) Stanley Havili

To be fair though, there were a whole slew of teams whose 2011 drafts looked like that. That year could be the worst draft top to bottom in this century.

• Upvote 1

Excited for footall just wish the game was on tomorrow instead of Monday. Then again, that means I don't have to head to the bar to watch it.

Eagles Release CB Brandon Hughes

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/article-1/Eagles-Release-CB-Brandon-Hughes/dfd2e755-a250-44c4-b6d0-2e40b5109744

The Eagles released veteran cornerback Brandon Hughes on Saturday. Hughes was already ruled out for Monday night's season opener with a hand injury.

No other roster move was announced which could indicate a possible return after this weekend.

Hughes has been a key player on special teams since he was signed off the Giants practice squad in 2010. He played in all 16 games in 2012 and was fifth on the team in special teams production points with 115. Hughes recovered a fumble on a kickoff return against the Saints as well as an onsides kick to open the season finale against the Giants.

The 5-foot-11, 185-pound Hughes suffered the injury in the third preseason game. The Eagles have five healthy cornerbacks heading into Monday's game: Cary Williamsicon-article-link.gif, Bradley Fletchericon-article-link.gif, Brandon Boykinicon-article-link.gif,Jordan Poyericon-article-link.gif and Shaun Pratericon-article-link.gif.

The only other player on the injury report for the Eagles this week was tackle Dennis Kellyicon-article-link.gif, who is out with a back injury.

I could careless about this move even though we are somewhat thin at cornerback.

Edited by dutchff7

DE Vinny Curry among the Eagles' inactive players in Week 1

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2013/9/9/4712708/vinny-curry-eagles-inactive-players-in-week-1-nfl

The Eagles will take on the Redskins at FedExField on Monday night in the season-opener for both squads. While this is an exciting day for fans, players and coaches, some members of the Eagles' roster will be less involved then they would like. With only offensive tackle Dennis Kelly ruled out for injury, several players at the end of the roster will be healthy scratches for the first game of the season for the Eagles.

The team only has 52 players on the roster, so the Eagles only need to have seven inactive players in the Week 1 matchup. With Kelly and third-string quarterback Matt Barkleyobviously on the bench, there is room for surprises with the rest of the crew. For Week 1 at least, second-year defensive end Vinny Curry is the surprise entry on the inactive list. The Marshall alum was extremely impressive during the preseason, but the coaching staff clearly felt players like Damion Square and Clifton Geathers were better fits against the Redskins.

Here is the complete list of Eagles inactive players for Week 1:

DE Vinny Curry

QB Matt Barkley

TE Emil Igwenagu

OT Dennis Kelly (inj.)

CB Shaun Prater

OT Matt Tobin

This lineup means that the Eagles have just seven offensive linemen and four cornerbacks active against Washington. Safety Kurt Coleman can play cornerback in a pinch, so the Eagles may have felt Prater needed more time to learn the defense. Todd Herremans' and Allen Barbre's versatility allows for Philadelphia to go light on the offensive line.

Here are the Redskins inactive for Week 1:

QB Rex Grossman

S Jose Gumbs (greatest name ever!!!)

G Josh LeRibeus

FS Brian Meriweather

NT Chris Neild

RB Evan Royster

QB Pat White

It sucks that Vinny Curry is inactive. I loved how he played in the preseason and look forward to see if he continues that success in the regular season.

The Eagles coaching staff must be retarded. Curry needs to see the field.

Nice win to start the season though. I can't wait to see McCoy in this offense.

Edited by seanbrock