Sign in to follow this  
Dutch

Eagles State of the Franchise 2013

This is a very exciting time for the Eagles organization. Chip Kelly, the 21st Eagles head coach in franchise history has bought an energizing atmosphere to our franchise. You have to love the culture Chip has bought to our organization. He was nothing short of a genius, an innovator at the college level. It's clear after hearing him talk that he has a high football I.Q. The million dollar question is if he can translate his success* to the NFL. That's what everyone inside and outside the organization wants to know. Our organization is in building mode. I don't have any expectations for this coming season. With that said, we aren't far removed from that 2010 season. We also still have a lot of that talent on our roster as well. No expectations but the green I bleed has me optimistic and hope Chip can take the league by storm :pray:

Anyway, outside of dreamland, here is a list of the Eagles transactions this off season.

DATE DESCRIPTION

03/11/2014 The Eagles have agreed to terms on a three-year contract with safety Malcolm Jenkins, formerly of the New Orleans Saints. 03/11/2014

Re-signed P Donnie Jonesicon-article-link.gif to a three-year deal and released S Patrick Chung 03/04/2014 Released WR Jason Avanticon-article-link.gif 03/03/2014

Signed DE Cedric Thorntonicon-article-link.gif to a one-year contract 02/28/2014

Agreed to terms on a one-year deal with WR Jeremy Maclinicon-article-link.gif 02/27/2014

Signed WR Riley Coopericon-article-link.gif to a five-year contract.

Signed C Jason Kelceicon-article-link.gif to a seven-year contract. 02/26/2014

Agreed to terms on a five-year contract with T Jason Petersicon-article-link.gif 02/07/2014

Signed WR Joe Anderson 01/27/2014

Announced the hiring of Bill Musgrave as quarterbacks coach and Michael Clay as defensive quality control coach.

Promoted Mike Dawson to assistant defensive line coach. 01/15/2014 Erik Chinander - Hired by the University of Oregon to become outside linebackers coach 01/15/2014

Bill Lazor - Hired by the Miami Dolphins to become offensive coordinator 01/09/2014

Signed C David Molk. 01/07/2014

Signed LB Josh Kaddu and WR Ifeanyi Momah, re-signed

WR Will Murphyicon-article-link.gif 01/06/2014

Re-signed LB Emmanuel Achoicon-article-link.gif, DE Brandon Bairicon-article-link.gif, T Michael Bamiroicon-article-link.gif, WR B.J. Cunninghamicon-article-link.gif, TEEmil Igwenaguicon-article-link.gif, QB G.J. Kinneicon-article-link.gif, and LB Travis Longicon-article-link.gif

It' so much change with our franchise. Our defense is implementing a 3-4 scheme. Do we have the pieces? We have a 3 way QB competition. Who should start? Any eagles discussion or news, post it here.

Edited by dutchff7

Philadelphia Eagles experimenting with WR Jason Avant on defense

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2013/5/19/4345458/philadelphia-eagles-experimenting-with-wr-jason-avant-on-defense

Last week we reported that TE Clay Harbor was taking some practice snaps at linebacker. It turns out, he's not alone as WR Jason Avant has been taking snaps with the secondary.

"I always say I never compare myself to other guys because those other guys, they're not me," he said. "It's one of those things that I work hard, I'm going to continue to work hard and whatever that may be, whatever the team wants to do with me, I'm going to do it as best as I can for the team, whatever that may be."

Avant says the move is a compliment, not a sign that his roster spot could be in jeopardy.

"I don't necessarily think it'll cloud my future. I really think it's an honor anyway for a coach to think you can do other things."

We've certainly seen some examples of players with positional versatility in the NFL. The Patriots are probably the most notable example using LB Mike Vrabel as a TE and WR Troy Brown in the secondary.

It's tough to say what Chip Kelly's plans are for guys like Avant & Harbor at this point. It is only May, so we could simply be seeing some experimentation that is never used in the regular season. Maybe, as Harbor said, it's simply preparing for potential emergencies.

It will be interesting to watch as the summer continues and training camp starts whether we continue to see offensive players working on defense.

This is definitely raising some eyebrows. With Avant getting old, transitioning to defense this far in his career doesn't seem like a good move. Granted, we know if a ball comes his way, he's going to intercept it; definitely could have helped us in the turnover category last year :troll: All jokes aside though, it doesn't seem like an ideal fit. He's also not that fast but who knows though. He has the size, weight, and build to be safety but not sure about the skill set. We do know he's a good slot receiver.

Speaking of receiver, with the news of Chip experimenting with Avant on defense, it somewhat raises a flag if his roster spot is in jeopardy. Here is a current look at our receivers:

DeSean Jackson, Jeremy Maclin, Arrelious Benn, Jason Avant, Riley Cooper, Damaris Johnson, Russell Shepard, Nick Miller, Will Murphy, Greg Salsas, Ifeanyi Momah (6'7 dude) and B.J Cunningham.

We know Jackson and Maclin are safe. We have Damaris Johnson who I like and think he could be dynamic in a Chip Kelly offense. Last year he showed flashes of dynamic running ability when he got the ball in his hands. He's small but quick. He also had a nice punt return for a td last year as well. It seems Riley Cooper, Arrelious Benn and Ifeanyi Momah are competing for the big man job. Who knows though, we may keep two of them. Then there's Avant. The best hands on the team, good route runner, our best run blocker, reliable and catches the ball well in traffic. He's a little bit slower than the rest but he's proven reliable; a cushion for our QBs when we need him. It may be a mistake if we get rid of him but who knows what Chip is looking for in his offense.

Just some food for thought.

Eagles Ink Rookie TE Will Shaw & released running back Miguel Maysonet.

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/article-1/Eagles-Ink-Rookie-TE-Will-Shaw/3745c639-f4b2-452c-adea-6febed6d1c80

The Eagles signed tight end Will Shaw on Monday morning. A product of Youngstown State, Shaw participated in the Eagles' rookie camp on a tryout basis. To make room on the 90-man roster, the Eagles released running back Miguel Maysonet.

A former safety and linebacker, the 6-3, 245-pound Shaw converted to tight end in 2011. He finished his college career with 43 catches for 629 yards and nine scores. The 2012 season was his first full season at tight end and he caught 35 passes for 429 yards and five touchdowns. Shaw earned second-team All-Missouri Valley Football Conference honors last season.

Random alma mater note - Youngstown State produced Eagles' all-time great quarterback Ron Jaworski.

An interesting video featuring Brian Dawkins talking about last years defense.

This just helps prove how much Dawkins meant to our defense... He was the heart and soul of our defense. We were missing a leader. Our defense never gelled because there was never any trust between the players; also a lack of communication.

I also enjoyed the little segment Dawkins said about Nnamdi. Having trust and confidence in the person beside you knowing that they have your back. Understandable from that point of view when you have Kurt Coleman suppose to be backing you up in coverage. I can't even count how many blown coverages Kurt Coleman was responsible for... In the same instance, Nnamdi didn't have any problem getting burnt all by himself either. Then the stories of Nnamdi going to eat lunch in his car instead of his team. I've always liked Nnamdi as a person but that came off kinda primadonna'ish like he was too good to eat with the team. Didn't have a leadership bone in his body and I'm glad he's gone; hopefully Kurt Coleman will be too.

I read something earlier this year about Brian Dawkins being apart of our organization to some capacity. I frankly don't care what it is but definitely welcomes the idea. I believe he can still pump blood in players hearts from the sideline. Last year we needed it because we were soft.

Edit: Seems Dawkins would make one good analyst too. I'd watch him :yep:

Edited by dutchff7

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/dave-spadaro/article-1/D-Takes-Steps-To-Come-Together/ba9e4e7a-df6b-4b64-ba6e-dba24cbedd96

D Takes Steps To Come Together

The Eagles have a lot of new faces and they have a new sheme and a high level of excitement for defensive coordinator Bill Davis. The building blocks are being put in place as Davis blends the players who have been on the roster with all of the additions made in the offseason.

Progress? For sure. Can we see it? That's the tough part. Without pads, and without live tackling, it's difficult for observers to understand.

But for the players who are receiving the feedback from the coaches, yeah, there are positive steps being taken.

"I think we're improving every day," said Ryans. "You can tell just by the communication and by how the guys are playing faster because they don't have to think as much. They know where they're supposed to be. They understand the reads and the adjustments that we're making.

"I love this so far. I think we're going to be aggressive and physical. Our mindset is to take the football away and make big plays."

What we know of this scheme is that it's based on versatility and there is no reason to label it as a 3-4 or a 4-3 because the Eagles will play some of both and maybe mix in some other looks as well. Davis is still in the teaching phase, which really never ends for coaches. The goal is to get every player on the same page so that when the pads go on and training camp begins, the coaches can get a true evaluation of what they have competing for the 53-man roster.

So to get too analytical about the number of reps players are taking now isn't the correct approach. It doesn't matter now, anyway. What's important is that Davis sees his guys moving faster every day and reaching the right spots and feeling more confident in the calls.

"It comes down to trusting what you see," said Cole, who hopes to have more space in which to operate and reach the quarterback this season. "We've made a lot of progress. It's coming together, but we have a long way to go and a lot of work to do. You take it in pieces. Once we get the pads on and we're in a game, we're going to see how all the work we're doing now is paying off."

The coaches want to see as much as they can now in order to establish a depth chart for training camp, and they need to see how players like Vinny Curry and Cole and Fletcher Cox and Mychal Kendricks and all of the players here last year adjust to the new X's and O's. Cole is going to be asked to do different things beyond lining up with his hand in the dirt. Curry has to show he can play end if the Eagles need him in a 3-4 or line up on the edge in a 4-3. Kendricks may not have as many responsibilities against tight ends as he did last year.

The truth is that the Eagles have only introduced a portion of the scheme to the players in bits and pieces. We've only heard a smidgen from Davis about his philosophies, but we know he comes from a background that includes an undertanding of both the 4-3 and the 3-4, and that he's had teams that have been physical with a good rate of success taking the football away. Last year his tight ends in Cleveland intercepted Michael Vickthree times and nearly had a fourth that would have clinched a Browns win over the Eagles in the opening game.

Davis, then, takes what his Browns linebackers did and brings that to Philadelphia. He has learned from some of the great defensive minds in the NFL -- Vic Fangio, Dom Capers, Dick LeBeau, Bill Cowher, etc. Davis brings 20-plus seasons of great ideas and innovation to the task here.

All he has to do now is make it all come together -- put all of the new faces and existing faces together to execute his scheme -- between now and September.

"It doesn't happen overnight," said Ryans. "You have to take it day by day and then see where you are. I'm pleased. I really see the guys playing faster and with more confidence. Instead of reacting, we're anticipating and playing faster."

Not until September, truthfully, will Davis and the Eagles know for sure what they have defensively. The secondary is new, with free-agent signees Cary Williams and Bradley Fletcher first in line to start at cornerback. They'll get some push from younger players, and who plays better wins the jobs, but when you look around, you don't recognize much from 2012.

The secondary is filled with new faces. Connor Barwin has been added to the linebackers. The front has a bunch of draft picks, plus free agent Isaac Sopoaga. How many new starters will there be from a year ago? Five? Six? More?

"We'll see," said Ryans. "We all need to get this down together and see who is out there when the season starts. It's exciting. Everybody has to prove himself. Everybody is hungry to prove himself. That's the way you want it to be."

This is good to hear but this is one of those situations I would have to see it to believe it. I have to see our defense on the field. Defense is easily our biggest unknown on the team with all the new pieces and implementing a 3-4 scheme. Even if we do have a healthy O-line and get stable play out the QB position, I think we would have to score like 27-30 points to win games.

Trent Cole- I'm curious to see how he will transition. Will he only be used in 4-3 packages?

Vinny Curry- How will he be utilized. He put on like 20 lbs this offseason and weighs 280lbs now. That's pretty solid weight for an OLB. He's someone I want to keep and I hope Chip finds a place for him in our scheme.

Curtis Marsh- We currently have 7 CBs on our roster. Where does Marsh fit in? Cary Williams and Bradley Fletcher seem to be the front runners. We also have Boykins who played the slot last year. I'm pretty high on Marsh. I liked what I saw from with the opportunities he was given. Where would he fit in?

Safeties- We have a plethora of safeties. For the mother of god, PLEASE cut Kurt Coleman. I do NOT want to go into another season with him on our roster.

I think our linebacker play will be very important in the 3-4 scheme. I think we have players that can rush but I'm not sold on the coverage. Interesting to see how it's going to turn out.

http://www.nfl.com/n...ic-knee-surgery

The Philadelphia Eagles are down a tight end after James Casey underwent arthroscopic surgery on his right knee on Thursday.

A team spokesman told USA Today that Casey might

miss the rest of the spring because of a procedure to clean out loose cartilage, but the fifth-year player sounds optimistic he'll return much sooner.

Edited by RogerGoodellSucks

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000206386/article/michael-vick-im-faster-than-rg3-colin-kaepernick

Michael Vick: I'm faster than RG3, Colin Kaepernick

Michael Vick is on the wrong side of 30 in a league flooded with young, lightning-quick quarterbacks, but the Philadelphia Eagles veteran still believes he's the fastest signal-caller around.

In a Friday morning chat with "The Dan Patrick Show," Vick said he could whip Robert Griffin III, Colin Kaepernick -- or anyone else -- in a footrace.

Breer: Gunning the Eagles' engine

What has new coach Chip Kelly brought to Eagles practices? Speed, speed and more speed, Albert Breer says. More ...

"These guys are young and they're fast and they're quick, the thing I do have is a very quick get-up," Vick said. "I really don't feel like there's a quarterback in the league that can beat me in a 40-yard dash.

"If somebody wants to set something up, I'll be more than glad to accept the challenge. But as of right now I'm going to say me. But Colin Kaepernick is fast and RG3 is fast, as well."

Vick made waves this offseason when he beat LeSean McCoy in a 40-yard dash. The Eagles running back insists Vick cheated, but the quarterback laughed that off.

No passer has topped Vick's 5,551 career yards on the ground, and he told Patrick he still runs a "4.4 -- maybe a high 4.4 (40-yard dash) -- but my quickness is there."

No question, Vick's still in the conversation.

This is just not the stuff that you want to hear your (potential) starting QB talking about. This should not be his focus trying to set up races and prove that he's still fast. A 40 yard dash doesn't prove anything significant at the QB position. While I do like Vick want him to succeed, after two years of hearing him talk, I just wish he would refrain from talking (especially with this type of shit) and just play ball. Screw trying to prove how fast you are. Prove to everyone that you can be a successful QB at a high level.

Meh, as much as I'd love to bash Vick, he was asked a question, and it sounded to me like he was just having some lighthearted fun with his response. Of course the media ran with it, though.

He talked plenty of football.

Listen to the whole interview. He really didn't come off that bad at all, IMO:

Edited by BLUE

Meh, as much as I'd love to bash Vick, he was asked a question, and it sounded to me like he was just having some lighthearted fun with his response. Of course the media ran with it, though.

He talked plenty of football.

Listen to the whole interview. He really didn't come off that bad at all, IMO:

Didn't see this. He first said all this in OTA's before this interview. It was pretty random because no one asked about it. The last two years made me bipolar with Vick lol. I just want him to play ball. All that talking last year didn't do him justice. I just want to see what he can do on the field.

Edited by dutchff7

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2013/5/28/4373288/kenny-phillips-reportedly-suffers-setback

Kenny Phillips reportedly suffers setback

The former Giant has a long history of knee problems and was signed to a one year deal this offseason that contained no guaranteed money.

Eagles safety Kenny Phillips was not at the team's practice today due to what Chip Kelly would only confirm as an issue related to his knees.

When asked whether Phillips suffered a setback, Chip sidestepped the question.

"I don't ask questions," Kelly said. "They just tell me who's going and who's not going."

I'm guessing he actually does ask what happened when one of his players gets injured and does know what is wrong (since he said it was the knees), but since it's the offseason he doesn't have to be specific he's choosing not to be.

Phillips has been plagued with knee issues throughout his career, but has been a legitimately good player when has been healthy. The Eagles took a flyer on the ex-Giant this offseason with a one year deal that contained no guaranteed money.

The deal had basically no risk to it, but a lot of potential reward if Phillips stayed healthy. While we're too short on information to say for sure whether Phillips is already done, any reports of knee issues for him have to be taken pretty seriously. Just a few weeks ago the player had declared himself 100% and ready to go.

Phillips had been running with the second team behind Nate Allen & Patrick Chung. If he's out, the battle for safety roster spots includes Kurt Coleman, Colt Anderson, David Sims & rookie Earl Wolff.

It seems his knees are going to be an ongoing problem :/ I hope not though and hope he gets better before training camp.

Edited by dutchff7

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2013/5/28/4370350/philadelphia-eagles-punter-battle-heating-up-brad-wing

Philadelphia Eagles Punter Battle Heating Up

The NFL off-season is still young as we continue to roll through contact-free Organized Team Activities. That doesn't mean the competition isn't starting to heat up yet, though. In the case of the most unsettled and controversial position battle on the roster, this is especially true. We're talking about quarterbacks the punter battle, of course!

Joking aside, the punter competition is definitely worth keeping an eye on. Some of you may think it's silly, and it's fair to think that. "It's just the punter," you say. "Why is this Brandon Lee guy even wasting time on this? WHO CARES?!"

Well I'm putting my foot down (the first of many bad punter puns) and taking a stand. It feels like it's been way too long since the Eagles have had a good punter. It probably doesn't mean too much in the big picture, but I'm tired of having to settle for subpar punting, and you should be too.

More: Benefits of adding a better punter

Thankfully things are looking up. After dabbling afoot in the noodle-armed Chas Henry and armpit-punter Mat McBriar experiments last year, it was clear the Eagles needed an upgrade. The Eagles pulled the strings to bring in PFF's number 1 overall rated P from 2012... Donnie Jones, formerly of the Houston Texans. Jones was also named to the All-Pro second team in both 2008 and 2009.

It didn't stop there though. Along came the addition of undrafted free agent Brad Wing, an Australian born punter who attended LSU. Wing is an interesting character, as BGN community member SouthernPhilly already pointed out.

According to Adam Caplan, I'm not alone in thinking this is an interesting battle. I'll paraphrase what he (and Dave Spadaro) had to say on a recent interview on the Eagles website (go to 6:00).

Donnie Jones is kicking the crap out of the ball. Jones' hangtime is absolutely terrific.

[brad] Wing is not that good with [hangtime], and you need to have that [in the NFL].

[With] directional punting, Jones is very, very good. Wing needs to get better at that.

We're not handing this thing to Wing. It will be an excellent competition.

Nothing here is too surprising. Jones, 32, is a veteran who's had many years to perfect his craft. Wing obviously doesn't have the same kind of experience. In theory, it would be ideal if Wing performs well and wins the job because the Eagles could have some stability at the position for years to come. If not, though, no big deal. Jones sure isn't a bad option for now.

Other factors will go into the competition such as holding for PAT attempts. As far as I'm aware they're both qualified there. I do wonder if athleticism will factor into the decision based on Chip's potential use of the swinging gate PAT formation. Punting performance is first and foremost though.

Here's the kicker (err, the punter?) - as we all know, none of this matters too much right now. The job will be fought for and won in training camp and pre-season. I'm sure Jones and Wing are prepared to leave blood, sweat, and tears out there on the field to determine who will be The One True Philadelphia Eagles Punter.

So there you have it. Almost 600 words on the Eagles punter competition.

Training camp sure can't get here soon enough.

Punter competitions are serious business. :sparta:

Im vey excited to see what Chip brings to this offense considering all the speed they have. Im already tierd of hearing abour Mr. Vick and he's assumptions but if Kelley is as good with speedy players as the analyists say, with McCoy, Desean, and Vick as your main playmakers and Celek as a underneath guy annd Felix Jones as your possible back up, i like the sound of it... of course we'll have to see it on regular season fields.

Edited by BroadcastinMayne

Im vey excited to see what Chip brings to this offense considering all the speed they have. Im already tierd of hearing abour Mr. Vick and he's assumptions but if Kelley is as good with speedy players as the analyists say, with McCoy, Desean, and Vick as your main playmakers and Celek as a underneath guy annd Felix Jones as your possible back up, i like the sound of it... of course we'll have to see it on regular season fields.

Yeah, I can't wait either. We have a lot of weapons on our team and I'm interested to see how he uses them. I think we can be competent on offense if utilized correctly. It's the defense that's a complete unknown factor. So many new players and we are implementing a 3-4 scheme.

Yeah, I can't wait either. We have a lot of weapons on our team and I'm interested to see how he uses them. I think we can be competent on offense if utilized correctly. It's the defense that's a complete unknown factor. So many new players and we are implementing a 3-4 scheme.

Ya the D for Philly will be one of the most intresting, changed up and younger defense out there in the NFL.. i thinks thats alot of changes to handle for the team but like we've said if the playmakers are used correctly on offense, then there maybe some stress takin off the D but that will only go so far.. i got high hopes for Philly as always though

I think we can be more than competent, I think we could be lethal. Maybe I'm just being (idiotically) optimistic, but I genuinely don't see a weakness in this offense other than, potentially, the most important position: quarterback. Otherwise, every position is looking good; our O-Line is healthy again, our main wide receivers are entering the primes of their careers, running back is stacked, and TEs are solid (I LOVE Ertz). Obviously that won't mean much if our defense isn't good, which I'm completely expecting them not to be. I'm just praying that the days of Kurt Coleman pseudo-tough guy act are over and one of the new pickups becomes a solid, hopefully great, starter in this league.

Side note: I will never forgive Kurt and Nnamdi for missing that tackle on Victor Cruz two year ago in the home opener. Disgraceful.

• Upvote 1

I think we can be more than competent, I think we could be lethal. Maybe I'm just being (idiotically) optimistic, but I genuinely don't see a weakness in this offense other than, potentially, the most important position: quarterback. Otherwise, every position is looking good; our O-Line is healthy again, our main wide receivers are entering the primes of their careers, running back is stacked, and TEs are solid (I LOVE Ertz). Obviously that won't mean much if our defense isn't good, which I'm completely expecting them not to be. I'm just praying that the days of Kurt Coleman pseudo-tough guy act are over and one of the new pickups becomes a solid, hopefully great, starter in this league.

Side note: I will never forgive Kurt and Nnamdi for missing that tackle on Victor Cruz two year ago in the home opener. Disgraceful.

Welcome to the boards! Truth be told, I feel the same exact way. I'm overly optimistic in the back of my head. I feel as though our offense can be very dangerous if like you pointed out. we get stable play out of our QB position. I think if our O-line is back healthy, our athletic O-line can be one of the best in the league. With that being said, I think our running game explodes with McCoy getting the carries that Reid has deprived him of. I also think Chip will find a creative way to utilize DeSean and I'm excited to see his production. If we get stable QB play, I think our offense can be one of the more dangerous offenses in the league with all the speed we have. Again, I'm trying not to put any expectations on this season but I am overly optimistic in a sense because I know the talent that we have on our roster.

The defense side of the ball is the complete unknown. I am excited about Brandon Graham and Fletcher Cox. Also, I hope to see Mychal Kendricks progress because his upside is enormous in my opinion. One of the most athletic/fast linebackers in the league. If he can clean up his missed tackles, that would be a vast improvement. But yeah, I'm not expecting our defense to be good. If our offense is good, I expect we will have to score around 27ish points a game in order to win games.

As far as Kurt Coleman is concerned, I really hope he isn't on our roster next year. I like his energy but HATE his game. He's so bad...

Edited by dutchff7

If Curry is up to 280 maybe he's gonna play some 5 tech for us.

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2013/5/30/4379908/chip-kelly-matt-barkley-is-a-student-of-the-game

Chip Kelly: Matt Barkley is a "student of the game"

The x-factor in the Eagles QB competition this summer is clearly Matt Barkley. While Michael Vick & Nick Foles are splitting time with the ones right now, it's still a long summer ahead and Barkley has a lot going for him.

For one, he's the only guy in the mix for the starting job that Chip Kelly didn't inherit. Chip sought out Barkley, traded up for him in fact (albeit in the 4th round). And has Chip has said time and time again, he likes how Barkley has essentially been a starting QB his whole like. It's a role he knows well.

"Matt's done a great job," Kelly said this week. "He's a real student of the game. Had a great background to begin with. Started every game in high school and in college, so his experience that he came in here with. I don't know if anybody's done that, having that much experience coming in as a rookie."

Certainly no one on the Eagles roster can claim that. Neither or Vick or Foles started 4 years in college.

"[barkley] does a great job of grasping concepts and understanding what we're trying to do and not just what the receivers are running for routes. Matt does a great job understanding the overall concept that's being run and then being able to kind of change. He may have done this before in the past, but now put it into our terminology and process things."

Barkley has largely been running with the second team in OTAs which has been interesting to watch because he's been in there with a lot of other young guys. His quick grasp of the offense and experience as a leader has been evident in how he's been interacting with those guys.

Several reporters have noted how Barkley is active in getting guys lined up where they are supposed to be. Kelly says that getting the personnel lined up correctly is something he puts on the QB and it's something Barkley has done well.

"Yeah, I think he's got most of the young guys in when he gets in sometimes. And they're judged on if the back runs the wrong route, that's tough for you as a quarterback when you expect them to be somewhere."

Kelly says it all stems from being prepared.

"I think he's done a great job in his work ethic in terms of being here early, studying tape and doing those things. I think it's helped him. There is a reason why he's started every game in high school and every game in college, because he was prepared for it, and I think when you're around him, you understand that. It's not just he's so much more gifted than anybody else. It's really how hard he works at the game. Lot of fun to be around and lot of fun to coach."

Chip has been nothing short of fond of Barkley since he's been here. As far as compliments go, I think Chip gave Barkley more than any other QB on our roster. Majority think that Barkley will sit this year as most expect Vick & Foles to have control of the reigns. I wonder if we will see a surprise QB change sometime this year.

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/article-1/No-25-Is-No-45-On-NFL-Top-100/16185236-3687-40eb-9b2e-7af0dbf3af30

No. 25 Is No. 45 On NFL Top 100

The Eagles are coming off of their worst season since 1998, but running back LeSean McCoy's talent is still simply too good to ignore.

"That boy has some Allen Iverson feet, but he's playing football," said Pittsburgh Steelers cornerback Ike Taylor paying homage to the 76ers legendary point guard.

McCoy had 1,213 yards from scrimmage in just 12 games last season and was recognized by the NFL Network's Top 100 Players of 2013 as the league's 45th-best player. A year ago, McCoy was ranked No. 18 following his franchise-record 20-touchdown All-Pro campaign.

"I don't feel bad about that call at all," McCoy said of the ranking.

McCoy missed four games due to a concussion last season after being sidelined for just two in his first three seasons. The Eagles' feature back is fully healthy and embracing the opportunity to play in new head coach Chip Kelly's offense.

"I'm up for this year. I can't wait. I can't think of a back in the NFL who can do as much as I can do, so I'm focused and I'm ready to roll," McCoy said. "Coach Kelly bringing an offense that fits me so well of just being in open space with so many different looks and movements, I think I should have a better year."

Taylor said that while watching film of McCoy the Steelers would say that he "made Superman miss tackles while in a phone booth." The Steelers have a term to describe McCoy's quick-cutting ability and capacity to stop-and-start with ease. It's called, "getting lied to." You think he's going in one direction when he is already headed in another.

Cleveland Browns linebacker D'Qwell Jackson said that McCoy personifies the modern running back with his penchant for being able to run with the ball and catch the ball as well. Since 2009, McCoy ranks third among NFL running backs with 220 receptions.

"I just feel like he's in a league of his own because he's fast; he can catch the ball; you can run screens with him. He's got great vision," added Miami Dolphins linebacker Dannell Ellerbe.

Shady! Can't wait to see him play this season. Assuming Chip Kelly feeds Shady the ball like I think he will and behind our offensive line, I expect Shady to at least be top 3 in rushing. I expect (and hope) that he surpasses his 2011 season. Can't wait. Shady! :rock:

Well everyone knows we have a QB competition going on right now. A part of me is curious to see what Chip can do with Vick and the other part wants to see Foles take the reigns after showing flashes last year of what could become a good starting caliber QB in this league. Vick and Foles are splitting first team reps at the moment but today, Foles got more of the snaps. Foles got 42 reps and Vick only got 28. While that doesn't mean much in OTA's, let's take a look at some Foles action from last season.

Foles vs Bucs play by play: http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/multimedia/videos/Play-By-Play-Foles-Leads-Eagles-To-Victory/11c56e12-f00a-4a9a-86a6-c182d7012f32

Granted everyone threw on the Bucs last year, the Bucs did have good pass rush on Foles (our bad offensive line) and sacked him 6 times and several pressures. Foles demonstrated great poise in the pocket while being pressured, pocket awareness, great footwork in the pocket, demonstrates mobility breaking out the pocket to extend plays and some good throws.

Foles first start vs Cowboys play by play: http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/multimedia/videos/Breaking-Down-Foles-Game/fc246655-cdb4-40e5-949e-58a73f21c6ed

In general, Foles does show flashes of some promise. I think he has the intangibles and I wouldn't mind at all if he won the starting job.

Edit: My have to refresh webpage a couple times to see video.

Here's a couple of random highlights from a few games as well.

Edited by dutchff7

Ok here is what I saw versus The Bucs. I will do the rest later.

Play 1.

1st and long. Pocket collapsed rolled to his right. Needs to keep both hands on the ball to prevent fumbling (common issue).

Kept his eyes downfield looking for the big play as with all good passers. He was able to deliver and on target ball low and

away so there was no chance of a tip, and took what the defense gave him.

Play 2.

2nd and 9. Pocket was decent but still pressure. Stood tall in the pocket and kept his eyes on his receiver. Threw a good pass

to someone coming out of his break and put the ball where it needed to go for the YAC.

Play 3.

2nd and 4. Pressure was everyehere. he tried keeping his eyes downfield. He could have moved to his right to evade but it was a momentary

window. The play collapsed. When being tackled his arms were extended while going down making him prone to fumbles against a strip sack.

Play 4.

3rd and 11. Relatively clean pocket. Stood in there well and delivered a great over the top release that was quick enough to beat

any secondary rushes. He hit his receiver in perfect stride but the ball was dropped.

Play 5.

1st and 10. Read blitz well and found his receiver on an out for a first down. Good play.

Play 6.

1st and 10. He was under duress again and this time when pressure came to his face he got rid of it too fast and turned which took velocity

off the ball and caused an incompletion.

Play 7.

3rd and 9. He had no chance. At the bottom of his drop he was being chased and did a nice job tucking the ball and just taking the sack.

Play 8.

2nd and 9. Play was a WR screen. It was blocked relatively well. He could have sold the fake better to get the defenders to bite a bit more.

Did a good job not turning his back to the defense though in an effort to sell the play. Threw a nice sidearm pass right in the basket and gave hiw

WR time to look upfield.

Play 9.

3rd and 5. The pocket was good but was feeling the pressure to early in anticipation. He rolled to his left prematurely and threw it to a receiver downfield.

The pass got there and was on target but against a corner that is not on the bucs could end up having low velocity balls thrown across you body like that go

the other way.

Play 10.

2nd and 10. 4 mand rush and penetration early. Pressure eventually did get to himi and he heaved it up at a receiver who had not broken yet. The hit caused the ball to loft

and to float hamrlessly to the ground. He at least had the presence to make sure it was only where his guy had a shot at it.

Play 11.

3rd and 10

Again pressure almost immediately and was running to his right to evade. He kept his eyes down field and hit his TE on a shallow crossing route that gained about 4 yards.

Play 12.

2nd and 11. Setting up in the pocket and Clay Harbor misses a block and gets himi sacked. Nothing he could do on that.

Play 13.

3rd and 17. Does a good job seeing there is no pressure and stays calm in the pocket. He waits for his receiver to come open over the middle and lets the ball go with zip and accuracy

and hits the receiver in stride setting up a 4th and short.

Play 14.

1st and 10. Great throw and catch he immediately recognizes his read and the open man and delivers the ball in between two zones and just over the line with a nice release.

Great Play.

Play 15.

1st and 10. Throws a quick out route to his TE and missed ocmpletely by one hopping it into the dirt. He did not step into the throw and just lobbed the ball.

Play 16.

3rd and 17. Thus far the best play in the game. H was off balance and had to throw the ball He did a nice job putting the ball where it had to be for his receiver who made

one hell of a one handed catch. Nice Play.

Play 17.

1st and 10. Takes a very quick drop and gets the ball out before the rush can break the line to a receiver in the flats. Was not much but set up second down very well.

Play 20.

2nd and 4. Another quick out with a short drope and delivers the ball on time and moves the chains.

Play 21.

1st and 10. Did a good job with his 3 step drop and seeing the field. Hit his RB in the flats and gave him the opportunity to make something. Completion for a first down.

The ball was also a very nice sidearm throw.

Play 22.

1st and 10. Takes a nice drop and is afforded a good clean pocket this time. He steps up in the pocket and delivers a nice throw to Maclin for a first down.

Play 23.

1st and 10. Took the snap from the gun and fielded the snap nicely it was a swing pass that the defense had from the get go but played it as well as you can play a swing pass.

Play 24.

3rd and 24. Best play to this point. Pressure all around and a defender grabbing him. Breaks contact and steps up in the pocket then rolls right and launches the ball at least

40 yards downfield and hits his receiver in stride. Excellent play on his part.

Play 25.

1st and 10. The play is supposed to be a screen and it is obvious as the ENTIRE defensive line is sitting down on it. Instead of forcing it he realizes that backside contain is no longer

there and rolls out to his right fot a 10 yard TD scamper.

Play 26.

1st and 10. Another swing pass that he gets to shady in space this time for a nice game. Again nothing fancy but he did his job.

Play 27.

Throws a deeo ball to cooper who was covered well but he delivered a great over teh shoulder ball. He put a bit too much arc on it for the throw but it dropped niceyly. It was an

an incompletion but it could have been the receiver was too slow or an overthrow.

Play 28.

2nd and 10. Immediately recognizes the blitz after the snap. He finds his hot route who is squatting in a zone and steps up and delivers tha ball very quickly. He has an extremely quick release.

Play 29.

1st and 10. Gets crushed.

Play 30.

2nd and 16. He does a nice job of setting up the screen and letting the defense bite on the ball and the swings it out to McCoy.

Play 31.

3rd and 8. Play breaks down and he realizes all of his receivers are covered. Runs (slowly) for a first down and then some and his smart at the end of the play by immediately getting down

to avoid any contact.

Play 32.

1st and 10. Getting rushed again and steps up into a skinng pocet and finds his receiver on a crossing route right at the sticks for a medium gain. He did not let the pressure affect the throw

and kept his eyes down field instead of panicking and taking off.

Play 33.

2nd and 11. Got pressure rolled to the right and there was noting. Makes a savvy move because he is not outside the tackle box but wings it out of bounds right next to an eligible receiver. Smart Play

Play 34.

3rd and 11. Had a clean pocket and was able to scan the field. He did a nice job of throwing it into his receiver in a tight spot even though he could have put more zip on it.

Play 35.

1st and 10. The pocket is being pushed in his face so he finds a receivcer over the middle and just gets it out while they can avoiding the swatt. He did a nice job on the over the top release and

manuevering with pressure in his face.

Play 36.

3rd and 2. Just a little dumpoff patter although eh did a good job or rolling out and avoiding pressure in his face.

Play 37.

1st and 10. Does a good job selling the play-action pass. Dumps it out to a slot screen and the ball falls incomplete due to the WR dropping the ball.

Play 40.

2nd and 10. Had a good clean pocket and scanned the field for his first option. Once he saw it was covered he felt pressure that was not there and took off instead of waiting on sometihng to break.

HE took off and gat tackled for a gian of nothing.

Play 41.

3rd and 10. Does a good job in evading pressure agaiin on third down and he threw to the sticks which is a good thing. He however did not get out far enough to plant and get the ball in there quicker for

the completion instead of it being broke up by the corner on the play.

Play 42.

1st and 10. Threw a deep pass to Avant and while it was on the money as far as distnace it was a little ot far out of bounds and his receiver did not have enough space to bring in the catch and have both feet in.

Play 43.

3rd and 8. He had a goodp ocket and the crossing route he had hit all day was there however he was late getting the ball out and it caused the ball to be behind his receiver and

and incompletion.

Play 44.

1st and 10. Does a nice job of getting the ball out on the WR screen out quick, although I dont care for his cute little piroutte at the end.

Play 45.

1st and 10. Stood tall and made a good throw although not complicated it was a gerat timing throw and he put it right where it needed to be.

Play 46.

3rd and 10. Had great production and stood in the pocket very well and let the play develop. He hit his receiver on a Sluggo route and placed the ball

beautifull where it was just past the fingertips of the defender and right in his receivers hands perfectly in stride. Not the best play but the best throw to this point.

Play 47.

1st and 10. He settled into the pocket nicely and scanned the field working through his progression quickly and then hitting the slant route for a first down.

Play 48.

1st and 10. Feels the pressure and does a good job rolling out but just throws it out of the back of the endzone. It was either extrememly inaacurate or a throw away. I am going with the latter.

Play 49.

2nd and 10. Another slot screen and he does what he is supposed too.

Play 50.

3rd and 7. This was a beautiful play. the pocket for the 700th time breaks down and foles rolls to his right while keeping his eyes down the field and sees a receiver come open

in the back of the endzone. He put the ball on the proverbial rope and throws it beautifull in there for the score.

Play 51

2 point conversion. Rolled out again fired the ball low on a swing and it was incomplete.

play 52.

1st and 10. Another fucking slot screen. Does a good job on his responsibilities and sells the fake.

Play 53.

2nd and 7. He is sacked, nothing he could really do.

Play 54.

3rd and 14. Climbs the pocket well under pressure and steps up and delivers a clutch throw of over 20 yards for the huge conversion.

Play 55.

1st and 10. Tries to keep his rthym but he throws the ball entirely to soon while his WR is tied up leaving an almost impossibel catch. Incomplete.

Play 56.

2nd and 10. He has a chance for the TD but overthrows his receiver.

Play 57.

3rd and 10. Another slot screen. He does what he has too and then completes the ball for 9

Play 58.

4th and 1. Scrambles for the short 1st down.

Play 59-62.

Almost sells the game twice and 1 throw out of bounds.

All in all he was great at moving around in the pocket and had to do so more often than most QB's would want to. His deep ball has a high floating arc. Although his medium passes are on a rope. He has a real talent at throwing the ball on the run. He also is inconsistent on whether or not he sees pressure but is not afraid to step up in the pocket.

Outside of him. Good god damn I have seen more fucking slot screens in one game than I have in a season in Baltimore.

• Upvote 1

Ok here is what I saw versus The Bucs. I will do the rest later.

Play 1.

1st and long. Pocket collapsed rolled to his right. Needs to keep both hands on the ball to prevent fumbling (common issue).

Kept his eyes downfield looking for the big play as with all good passers. He was able to deliver and on target ball low and

away so there was no chance of a tip, and took what the defense gave him.

Play 2.

2nd and 9. Pocket was decent but still pressure. Stood tall in the pocket and kept his eyes on his receiver. Threw a good pass

to someone coming out of his break and put the ball where it needed to go for the YAC.

Play 3.

2nd and 4. Pressure was everyehere. he tried keeping his eyes downfield. He could have moved to his right to evade but it was a momentary

window. The play collapsed. When being tackled his arms were extended while going down making him prone to fumbles against a strip sack.

Play 4.

3rd and 11. Relatively clean pocket. Stood in there well and delivered a great over the top release that was quick enough to beat

any secondary rushes. He hit his receiver in perfect stride but the ball was dropped.

Play 5.

1st and 10. Read blitz well and found his receiver on an out for a first down. Good play.

Play 6.

1st and 10. He was under duress again and this time when pressure came to his face he got rid of it too fast and turned which took velocity

off the ball and caused an incompletion.

Play 7.

3rd and 9. He had no chance. At the bottom of his drop he was being chased and did a nice job tucking the ball and just taking the sack.

Play 8.

2nd and 9. Play was a WR screen. It was blocked relatively well. He could have sold the fake better to get the defenders to bite a bit more.

Did a good job not turning his back to the defense though in an effort to sell the play. Threw a nice sidearm pass right in the basket and gave hiw

WR time to look upfield.

Play 9.

3rd and 5. The pocket was good but was feeling the pressure to early in anticipation. He rolled to his left prematurely and threw it to a receiver downfield.

The pass got there and was on target but against a corner that is not on the bucs could end up having low velocity balls thrown across you body like that go

the other way.

Play 10.

2nd and 10. 4 mand rush and penetration early. Pressure eventually did get to himi and he heaved it up at a receiver who had not broken yet. The hit caused the ball to loft

and to float hamrlessly to the ground. He at least had the presence to make sure it was only where his guy had a shot at it.

Play 11.

3rd and 10

Again pressure almost immediately and was running to his right to evade. He kept his eyes down field and hit his TE on a shallow crossing route that gained about 4 yards.

Play 12.

2nd and 11. Setting up in the pocket and Clay Harbor misses a block and gets himi sacked. Nothing he could do on that.

Play 13.

3rd and 17. Does a good job seeing there is no pressure and stays calm in the pocket. He waits for his receiver to come open over the middle and lets the ball go with zip and accuracy

and hits the receiver in stride setting up a 4th and short.

Play 14.

1st and 10. Great throw and catch he immediately recognizes his read and the open man and delivers the ball in between two zones and just over the line with a nice release.

Great Play.

Play 15.

1st and 10. Throws a quick out route to his TE and missed ocmpletely by one hopping it into the dirt. He did not step into the throw and just lobbed the ball.

Play 16.

3rd and 17. Thus far the best play in the game. H was off balance and had to throw the ball He did a nice job putting the ball where it had to be for his receiver who made

one hell of a one handed catch. Nice Play.

Play 17.

1st and 10. Takes a very quick drop and gets the ball out before the rush can break the line to a receiver in the flats. Was not much but set up second down very well.

Play 20.

2nd and 4. Another quick out with a short drope and delivers the ball on time and moves the chains.

Play 21.

1st and 10. Did a good job with his 3 step drop and seeing the field. Hit his RB in the flats and gave him the opportunity to make something. Completion for a first down.

The ball was also a very nice sidearm throw.

Play 22.

1st and 10. Takes a nice drop and is afforded a good clean pocket this time. He steps up in the pocket and delivers a nice throw to Maclin for a first down.

Play 23.

1st and 10. Took the snap from the gun and fielded the snap nicely it was a swing pass that the defense had from the get go but played it as well as you can play a swing pass.

Play 24.

3rd and 24. Best play to this point. Pressure all around and a defender grabbing him. Breaks contact and steps up in the pocket then rolls right and launches the ball at least

40 yards downfield and hits his receiver in stride. Excellent play on his part.

Play 25.

1st and 10. The play is supposed to be a screen and it is obvious as the ENTIRE defensive line is sitting down on it. Instead of forcing it he realizes that backside contain is no longer

there and rolls out to his right fot a 10 yard TD scamper.

Play 26.

1st and 10. Another swing pass that he gets to shady in space this time for a nice game. Again nothing fancy but he did his job.

Play 27.

Throws a deeo ball to cooper who was covered well but he delivered a great over teh shoulder ball. He put a bit too much arc on it for the throw but it dropped niceyly. It was an

an incompletion but it could have been the receiver was too slow or an overthrow.

Play 28.

2nd and 10. Immediately recognizes the blitz after the snap. He finds his hot route who is squatting in a zone and steps up and delivers tha ball very quickly. He has an extremely quick release.

Play 29.

1st and 10. Gets crushed.

Play 30.

2nd and 16. He does a nice job of setting up the screen and letting the defense bite on the ball and the swings it out to McCoy.

Play 31.

3rd and 8. Play breaks down and he realizes all of his receivers are covered. Runs (slowly) for a first down and then some and his smart at the end of the play by immediately getting down

to avoid any contact.

Play 32.

1st and 10. Getting rushed again and steps up into a skinng pocet and finds his receiver on a crossing route right at the sticks for a medium gain. He did not let the pressure affect the throw

and kept his eyes down field instead of panicking and taking off.

Play 33.

2nd and 11. Got pressure rolled to the right and there was noting. Makes a savvy move because he is not outside the tackle box but wings it out of bounds right next to an eligible receiver. Smart Play

Play 34.

3rd and 11. Had a clean pocket and was able to scan the field. He did a nice job of throwing it into his receiver in a tight spot even though he could have put more zip on it.

Play 35.

1st and 10. The pocket is being pushed in his face so he finds a receivcer over the middle and just gets it out while they can avoiding the swatt. He did a nice job on the over the top release and

manuevering with pressure in his face.

Play 36.

3rd and 2. Just a little dumpoff patter although eh did a good job or rolling out and avoiding pressure in his face.

Play 37.

1st and 10. Does a good job selling the play-action pass. Dumps it out to a slot screen and the ball falls incomplete due to the WR dropping the ball.

Play 40.

2nd and 10. Had a good clean pocket and scanned the field for his first option. Once he saw it was covered he felt pressure that was not there and took off instead of waiting on sometihng to break.

HE took off and gat tackled for a gian of nothing.

Play 41.

3rd and 10. Does a good job in evading pressure agaiin on third down and he threw to the sticks which is a good thing. He however did not get out far enough to plant and get the ball in there quicker for

the completion instead of it being broke up by the corner on the play.

Play 42.

1st and 10. Threw a deep pass to Avant and while it was on the money as far as distnace it was a little ot far out of bounds and his receiver did not have enough space to bring in the catch and have both feet in.

Play 43.

3rd and 8. He had a goodp ocket and the crossing route he had hit all day was there however he was late getting the ball out and it caused the ball to be behind his receiver and

and incompletion.

Play 44.

1st and 10. Does a nice job of getting the ball out on the WR screen out quick, although I dont care for his cute little piroutte at the end.

Play 45.

1st and 10. Stood tall and made a good throw although not complicated it was a gerat timing throw and he put it right where it needed to be.

Play 46.

3rd and 10. Had great production and stood in the pocket very well and let the play develop. He hit his receiver on a Sluggo route and placed the ball

beautifull where it was just past the fingertips of the defender and right in his receivers hands perfectly in stride. Not the best play but the best throw to this point.

Play 47.

1st and 10. He settled into the pocket nicely and scanned the field working through his progression quickly and then hitting the slant route for a first down.

Play 48.

1st and 10. Feels the pressure and does a good job rolling out but just throws it out of the back of the endzone. It was either extrememly inaacurate or a throw away. I am going with the latter.

Play 49.

2nd and 10. Another slot screen and he does what he is supposed too.

Play 50.

3rd and 7. This was a beautiful play. the pocket for the 700th time breaks down and foles rolls to his right while keeping his eyes down the field and sees a receiver come open

in the back of the endzone. He put the ball on the proverbial rope and throws it beautifull in there for the score.

Play 51

2 point conversion. Rolled out again fired the ball low on a swing and it was incomplete.

play 52.

1st and 10. Another fucking slot screen. Does a good job on his responsibilities and sells the fake.

Play 53.

2nd and 7. He is sacked, nothing he could really do.

Play 54.

3rd and 14. Climbs the pocket well under pressure and steps up and delivers a clutch throw of over 20 yards for the huge conversion.

Play 55.

1st and 10. Tries to keep his rthym but he throws the ball entirely to soon while his WR is tied up leaving an almost impossibel catch. Incomplete.

Play 56.

2nd and 10. He has a chance for the TD but overthrows his receiver.

Play 57.

3rd and 10. Another slot screen. He does what he has too and then completes the ball for 9

Play 58.

4th and 1. Scrambles for the short 1st down.

Play 59-62.

Almost sells the game twice and 1 throw out of bounds.

All in all he was great at moving around in the pocket and had to do so more often than most QB's would want to. His deep ball has a high floating arc. Although his medium passes are on a rope. He has a real talent at throwing the ball on the run. He also is inconsistent on whether or not he sees pressure but is not afraid to step up in the pocket.

Outside of him. Good god damn I have seen more fucking slot screens in one game than I have in a season in Baltimore.

Wow, a full play by play analysis. I can dig it. Definitely appreciate the time and effort. Ngata getting his Greg Cosell on. Get this man in a film room :yep:. As far as sensing pressure, I thought that's something he did well at times; his pocket awareness. There were times when he was wrong, but behind that O-line, who wouldn't see ghost from time to time with all those offensive line break downs (especially as a rookie). Great analysis though.

A corner back that has sparked my interest is our newly acquired one. Not Cary Williams but Bradley Fletcher. He is more of an unknown entity previously playing for the Rams. Decide to see if I can find at least a bit of footage on him.

From what I saw, he's a tall and physical corner. He's a tackling corner which is something our corners definitely lacked last year. He demonstrated great pursuit getting to the ball carrier and making the tackle. From a coverage stand point, his interceptions were bad throws but some of the pass deflects he had was good coverage. Also, there were a couple of plays were I liked his attentiveness looking back at for the ball in coverage. I'd have to see more footage but I liked what I saw so far. Here's also an interesting stat on Fletcher:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/31/signature-stats-ypcs-cornerbacks/

I'll be keeping an eye out for Fletcher.

Edited by dutchff7

I wanted to spend a little time going over Bryce Brown who showed some big play ability with the opportunities he was given. Here goes a couple of highlights on him.

He's definitely a change of pace back that I believe would compliment Shady really well. He seems to have a second gear (like in 0:47 & 2:25) something that McCoy doesn't have. He's a down hill runner who seems to have really good lateral movement to still make guys miss. However, if you watch closely, the way he carries the ball is very bad technique. He carries the ball away from his body and swings it while he's running. In the two games where he had back to back 160+ yard games and two TDs, he also managed to fumble the ball 3 times losing possession on every fumble. Ball security is his main issue. That can be fixed with coaching though. I like what he's shown us ability wise so far and look forward to him getting a few more carries this season in a Chip Kelly offenses that may run the ball a lot.

• Upvote 1

McGovern: We're Still In Evaluation Mode

Outside linebackers coach Bill McGovern is happy with what he has seen thus far from the players in his room, but knows they still have things to improve on before the season. He expands on that and more when he meets the media ...

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/multimedia/videos/McGovern-Were-Still-In-Evaluation-Mode/aecb7933-b535-4e47-a887-f193e8036cf2

Listening to the coach's review about our players eagerness to learn the scheme and play ball is a little comforting. Showed a short clip of Cole moving in space out in coverage. McGovern is talking about him seeing a clear jump in progression from the first day of OTA's to now. It's good to hear but nothing makes me more a believer then seeing it with my own eyes. Hopefully it's true and our guys have a smooth transition. I can't wait until they put on pads but the preseason games will give us a better look at our defense.