Sign in to follow this  
.AirMcNair.

Rookie CB Hayden Hospitalized; Will Miss Rest of OTAs, but fully expected to be back for TC

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 30m

Raiders HC Dennis Allen said 1st-rd pick DJ Hayden has been hospitalized with an abdominal injury. Disconcerting.

---

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 6m

Raiders CB DJ Hayden is fully expected to be ready for training camp after abdominal injury, but will miss rest of OTAs.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter

Thankfully it's nothing too serious.

Updating an earlier item, Raiders CB D.J. Hayden was admitted to the hospital late last week for an abdominal procedure to have scar tissue removed.

Hayden remains in the local hospital following the surgery. Although there has been no update on his condition or expected release date, both head coach Dennis Allen and GM Reggie McKenzie are confident the rookie will be ready for training camp. LA Times' Sam Farmer reports Hayden's Doctor who performed the heart surgery says it's his understanding that this is not related to the heart issue. However, it's important to note he did not perform the abdominal procedure and is just going off the information he's received.

Source: Steve Corkran on Twitter

Holy shit, I almost threw up when I heard this. And I thought it said “Rest of season” not “Rest of Off-Season” Phew!! As long as its not related to his heart injury, which I read its not. He will be fine. Will probably be able to resume football activities in 3-4 weeks from what reports are saying. Hopefully he will he ready by training camp! Wow, look how many 1st rounders are missing OTAs already with injuries.

Although I hate Oakland, it's good to hear. Really like this kid and hope he works out.

A source tells ESPN that D.J. Hayden's abdominal surgery is related to his previous heart surgery.

Last year, Hayden tore the vein that carries blood from the lower half of the body to the heart after a collision at practice. Doctors had to cut through his sternum to save his life. Many teams red-flagged Hayden on draft day, but the Raiders gladly took him 12th overall and said he was at no further injury risk. He began to feel symptoms during OTAs last week and remains in the hospital. Hayden's status for camp is unclear.

This is horrible news... This is a huge red flag for his career with an injury of this magnitude. I hope he has a full recovery but keeps in mind the severity of his injury and makes the best decision for his livelihood if it comes to that.

Edited by dutchff7

If it was just to remove scar tissue from his abdomen (everything I read says it was) then it shouldn't be anything serious for him. It's related to his heart issue because they initially had to cut through his abdomen when he got hurt at Houston.

I'm not gonna worry about this too much. I still think he will be fine, and when he gets that first big hit.. that's what we are waiting for then everybody will relax. Usually after a major surgery a secondary surgery is needed (like a reconstructive knee sometime needs a scope done). But I believe DJ will be fine and turn out to be great CB for Oakland! #RAIDERNATION4LIFE!!!

• Upvote 1

I'm not gonna worry about this too much. I still think he will be fine, and when he gets that first big hit.. that's what we are waiting for then everybody will relax. Usually after a major surgery a secondary surgery is needed (like a reconstructive knee sometime needs a scope done). But I believe DJ will be fine and turn out to be great CB for Oakland! #RAIDERNATION4LIFE!!!

I'd like to see some stats that show after a major surgery a secondary surgery is needed. And if so, has that ever been done on a world class athlete that is playing in one of the most brutal sports in America? Comparing a major heart surgery to a knee is a bit of a reach. I get where you're coming from, I just don't buy it. I'd be afraid and not for this mans career, but his life.

• Upvote 1

I'd like to see some stats that show after a major surgery a secondary surgery is needed. And if so, has that ever been done on a world class athlete that is playing in one of the most brutal sports in America? Comparing a major heart surgery to a knee is a bit of a reach. I get where you're coming from, I just don't buy it. I'd be afraid and not for this mans career, but his life.

Well 1st off, you do have the internet right? You want stats,look it up(Abdominal Adhesions/Surgery) 2nd, read the updates,on Hayden. It was Scar tissue removal, nothing to do with the internal organs. And 3rd, have you ever had surgury yourself? Now Im no doctor but..adhesions are normal occurrences after surgery, where internal scar tissue forms from surgery. And can band together and create tension within tissues like a rubber band. Scar bands can be removed via laparoscopic procedure also known as Adhesiolysis surgery.

This I know bcuz my father had a very similar type of surgery to repair a heart valve, and followed up with a second of scar tissue removal. He's now well into his 70's and doing fine. And I think you misunderstood what I said, I wasn't comparing, I was using that as an example. Maybe I should have explained that differently but.. oh well. You get where Im coming from? From last reports Hayden's doctor even stated the scar tissue is not a lingering issue of the injury but rather a result of the surgery and is rather common. So its no big deal. There is expected to be a recovery time of about a month but once he recovers, there should be no further complications. Dennis Allen also made it clear that Hayden will sit out for the rest of OTA's and mini camps and will return to the team in training camp at the end of July. So what don't you buy? If Hayden's doctors, the team and Hayden himself are not afraid for his career/life why should you? You know he's going to get the very best doctors/treatment available right? :grinyes:

Edited by OakBlack
  • Upvote 1

I've had several surgeries and played in college, I know what type of hits he's going to take. He's already had life saving surgery on something that has a 95 percent fatality rate. Is the vein 100% repaired an not weakened after surgery? I wouldn't put all my faith in doctors. I also wouldn't compare someone that doesn't play a high impact sport to a guy like Hayden. He will likely go on to have a solid career, doesn't mean I wouldn't be concerned.

As far as surgery goes, I have 3 shoulder surgies, a knee and a gallbladder removal. I've not had to have scar tissue removed, but I understand sometimes it's necessary.

Well 1st off, you do have the internet right? You want stats,look it up(Abdominal Adhesions/Surgery) 2nd, read the updates,on Hayden. It was Scar tissue removal, nothing to do with the internal organs. And 3rd, have you ever had surgury yourself? Now Im no doctor but..adhesions are normal occurrences after surgery, where internal scar tissue forms from surgery. And can band together and create tension within tissues like a rubber band. Scar bands can be removed via laparoscopic procedure also known as Adhesiolysis surgery.

This I know bcuz my father had a very similar type of surgery to repair a heart valve, and followed up with a second of scar tissue removal. He's now well into his 70's and doing fine. And I think you misunderstood what I said, I wasn't comparing, I was using that as an example. Maybe I should have explained that differently but.. oh well. You get where Im coming from? From last reports Hayden's doctor even stated the scar tissue is not a lingering issue of the injury but rather a result of the surgery and is rather common. So its no big deal. There is expected to be a recovery time of about a month but once he recovers, there should be no further complications. Dennis Allen also made it clear that Hayden will sit out for the rest of OTA's and mini camps and will return to the team in training camp at the end of July. So what don't you buy? If Hayden's doctors, the team and Hayden himself are not afraid for his career/life why should you? You know he's going to get the very best doctors/treatment available right? :grinyes:

You must have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night! :rofl:

JK! I'm no expert either, but having scar tissue removed after having your chest stitched up doesn't sound too unusual to me. Its more or less a common routine. It could've been he was being kept in the hospital for a week with no projected release date, thats what I think got everybody worried! But I wish him a quick recovery.

I've had several surgeries and played in college, I know what type of hits he's going to take. He's already had life saving surgery on something that has a 95 percent fatality rate. Is the vein 100% repaired an not weakened after surgery? I wouldn't put all my faith in doctors. I also wouldn't compare someone that doesn't play a high impact sport to a guy like Hayden. He will likely go on to have a solid career, doesn't mean I wouldn't be concerned.

I had surgeries myself, and played college ball as well! So what! I think we all know what types of hits he's going to take. We're all fans of the game. The point is, that's the chance you have to take for doing something you love, and this kid has his heart set on making a career out of it! And I'm all for him. I mean if you can't put all your faith in the doctors...who are you going to put it in? God? Pfft...Might as well never play then!