Sign in to follow this  
butta54

Division's MVP

Nfc south: lavonte David. A linebacker in a division full of high flying offenses you say? Yes. None of these teams have trouble scoring points by bid rookie could be just the playmaker to finally be the cornerstone of some defense in this division.

LOLwut :shrug:

AFC East: Tom Brady

AFC North: Trent Richardson

AFC South: Andrew Luck

AFC West: Peyton Manning

NFC East: RGIII

NFC North: Adrian Peterson

NFC South: Drew Brees

NFC West: Russell Wilson

NFC South is Steve Smith? No way. Just no. :nonono: Just because a guy has 7 interceptions doesn't make him the greatest thing since sliced bread. He's great at times, at others he's the worst corner I've ever watched. Too up and down, they could get by with a middle of the road corner opposite of Sherman.

Um not sure if you read the entire post....but if you did you can see that the argument is not about Sherman being the best corner or anything (that is far from my opinion of him). The main point is that the domino effect allows Seattle to play defense they way they want to with an extra man in the box to stop the run and let Earl play over the top. He is important because he allows the system to run. So actually no middle of the road corner could step in and make things flow smoothly and the defense would have to play a different style than the one that made them a top 5 defense this year. And arguably that high ranked defense is their biggest asset right now.

As for Steve Smith again read the post....I didn't take the easy Drew Brees road especially because they didn't do anything this year. Panthers weren't great, but they got hot at the end and despite stumbles and injuries they are a strong team and that would be no where close to the truth if Steve Smith wasn't there because the offense is now a very different and ineffective creature. The true MVP as I said is Sean Payton because Brees wasn't suspended last year and they didn't go anywhere.

AFC North: Ben Roethlisberger? DIdn't Flacco just go on a unprecedented playoff run and was the Super Bowl MVP?

I won't even dignify these post with a detailed answer :grinno: All I can say is...the day you want to take Flacco to lead your team over Big Ben more power to you.

Um not sure if you read the entire post....but if you did you can see that the argument is not about Sherman being the best corner or anything (that is far from my opinion of him). The main point is that the domino effect allows Seattle to play defense they way they want to with an extra man in the box to stop the run and let Earl play over the top. He is important because he allows the system to run. So actually no middle of the road corner could step in and make things flow smoothly and the defense would have to play a different style than the one that made them a top 5 defense this year. And arguably that high ranked defense is their biggest asset right now.

I think a free safety is critical to the cover 3 and man-free coverage, but we have seen plenty of teams do it without a safety as good as Earl. It can be done and still be effective, especially if your corners are jamming the receivers so bad that they never even reach safety level before pressure starts coming in. And the corners aren't equally important in this case because as I said the domino effect....Sherman playing off man or off zone is a completely different corner and not an all-pro and Browner is not going to be an all-pro either way. SO having Browner benefits Sherman more than the other way around. Which also leads to them playing single high looks because of their amazing ability to press which leads to Chancellor in the box.

I don't quite understand your logic. One cornerback doesn't allow you to be able to run the cover 3. Both cornerbacks have the same duties. they play a Cover 3 press scheme and the entire focal point of that is to not get beat deep (stay over top of the route). Browner and Sherman press at the line of scrimmage then play off deep (on the side lines) not to get beat on the go route and cover the comeback secondary (which isn't as bad as getting beat on the double move for a big gain deep). I don't see how one corner's job is more important than the other or allows the other to do their job. The glue to that mix is the free safety who is covering over top. The safety allows the cover 3 to work being the last line of defense covering deep and having to watch and roam from side line to side line covering Sherman's side and Browner's side. Sherman and Browner only have to worry about their own respective sidelines. Earl Thomas has way more responsibilities so I don't see how the a corner on that defense allows them to do anything. Kam Chancellor isn't that great in a cover 2 scheme & isn't good playing deep safety in a cover 3 (watch Roddy White's TD in the play offs) so having an Earl Thomas who can handle the responsibilities of a cover 3 deep safety allows them to run that scheme and for Kam to play in the box.

seahawks2.gif

Earl Thomas is covering two routes in this play. The corners in a cover 3 just have to worry about getting beat deep on the outsides because the LB's are playing the flats and you have a safety close to the line of scrimmage. The deep safety has many responsibilities. At the level he's playing at and being so vital to that scheme, rightfully Earl Thomas should be MVP on that defense in my opinion.

As for Steve Smith again read the post....I didn't take the easy Drew Brees road especially because they didn't do anything this year. Panthers weren't great, but they got hot at the end and despite stumbles and injuries they are a strong team and that would be no where close to the truth if Steve Smith wasn't there because the offense is now a very different and ineffective creature. The true MVP as I said is Sean Payton because Brees wasn't suspended last year and they didn't go anywhere.

Drew Brees carried the worst defense in NFL history to 7-9. That's pretty damn impressive. We are talking the worst defense ever. The Saints record should have been far worse then that.

Steve Smith wasn't the MVP of the Panthers in my opinion either; Cam was. Cam Newton put up 28 TDs, throw for about 3,900 yards AND was the Panthers leading rusher in TDs and yards. No way is Steve Smith the mvp of that team. Best receiver yes. Mvp, no.

Edited by dutchff7

Agree with Dutch. Cam would be MVP of the Panthers, and Brees is unquestionably the MVP of the NFCS.

I won't even dignify these post with a detailed answer :grinno: All I can say is...the day you want to take Flacco to lead your team over Big Ben more power to you.

Is that really much of a debate anymore? Flacco just had a joe Montana like playoff run after 5 straight years winning at least one playoff game. I like Ben but if your leader is hobbled every year what good is he? If you are still debating this you are not paying attention.

Jones and David aren't even the most valuable players on their team, nevermind their entire divisions.

I know jones is a bit unconventional answer but I wanted to be different lol

McCoy over David in the south?

I know jones is a bit unconventional answer but I wanted to be different lol

McCoy over David in the south?

Yea, McCoy is definitely more important than David. McCoy is probably the MVP of the Bucs because if he goes down we are screwed. Our run D is so much better when he is out there.

Yea, McCoy is definitely more important than David. McCoy is probably the MVP of the Bucs because if he goes down we are screwed. Our run D is so much better when he is out there.

I'll buy that. I actually like nearly all of their moves. Don't think they needed revis. If they can put together all of their pieces and perform as a strong defense and get a consistent performance from their qb they will win the south going away b

Is that really much of a debate anymore? Flacco just had a joe Montana like playoff run after 5 straight years winning at least one playoff game. I like Ben but if your leader is hobbled every year what good is he? If you are still debating this you are not paying attention.

I understand Flacco just won the Superbowl and everything, but Montana-like playoff run? I don't care if you're the QB of the Superbowl team doesn't automatically mean you carried them or won it for them. The Colts defense was nothing special at all this year.....As much as I love seeing Peyton Manning being kicked out the playoffs the bomb was lucky to even stay in the game.....and for the whole playoffs it was BOLDIN bailing Flacco out in key situations with very tough catches. I think Joe is a good QB and yes Big Ben has been injured, but matching them head to head for QB skill there is no question of who is better and can put the team on his shoulders for wins.

@dutchff7

I completely understand what you are saying about Earl Thomas and can't say enough how good of a player he is, but my logic is that yes both corners have the same job but by having a second corner who has the press skills equal to Sherman allows them to press more often than they would if he wasn't there. They have the same job but SHERMAN ISN'T THAT GOOD WHEN NOT PLAYING HIS PRESS TECHNIQUE . Browner is a decent player either way, but the drop off you get with Sherman is far more significant and therefore more important, because in a typical cover 3 the corners would be about 10 yards off playing in space which would be very ineffective for Sherman and lead to them leaving Kam back in a two deep look to help their struggling corner.

Now Earl is a beast, but as I said before many teams who want that extra safety in the box have ran single high looks with a bad FS. I agree you need a beast back there to make it effective, but you don't need a beast back there to run it because you basically are taking your chances on the pass to stop the run. A free safety is playing both sides you are right and so if he isn't locking down both sides there is room to understand that, but when a cover 3 has your cornerbacks (responsible for one side) being beat all the time or not making plays well then you scrap the scheme all together and end up with Kam back in a cover 2 look.

As for Brees I agree with how he carried the team, but still Sean Payton has been dealing with basically that seem defense for awhile and still had them in the playoffs. That is not the topic though...it is about players and Brees probably is up there as well as Cam because we know the back up situation is pretty scary, but like I said I simply wanted to step outside the QB box for my answers. Plus Steve Smith has showed he can still get his without a good QB, not sure what Cam does without Steve though.

Edited by butta55