Sign in to follow this  
housemd

Titans want Locker less reliant on wristband

Titans OC Dowell Loggains wants Jake Locker to get away from his reliance on a wristband to call plays.

Former OC Chris Palmer would call a number into Locker's headset, which corresponded with a play on Locker's wristband. Loggains plans to communicate the entire play. "My thing with the wristband is I believe the quarterback should know the gameplan well enough," Loggains said. "If the headset goes out, then he should be able to call the game." The move will certainly test Locker's football IQ, which hasn't always been the brightest through his first two seasons. The fact that the Titans already seem to be grasping at straws with their would-be franchise QB isn't a terribly promising sign.

lol Rotoworld has done nothing but insult the Titans all off-season long. Dunno what their problem is.

how the fuck is this "grasping at straws"? if anything, it shows more confidence in him to give him an extra challenge beyond merely executing plays

Nate Washington sees similarities between Jake Locker and former teammate Ben Roethlisberger.

"I was there in Ben's second year, and right away you kind of understood (he) was gonna be a good quarterback, a guy that could make plays. That's the same thing with Jake," Washington said. "He's a guy who can make plays. I tell everybody all the time, this is football, and it's a gladiator sport, but it's not a dumb man's sport." Roethlisberger and Locker aren't entirely dissimilar players, but Ben came into the NFL with stronger mechanics, and a far superior football IQ. In a best-case scenario, Locker could develop into a poor man's Big Ben, but that's seeming less and less likely.

Source: TitanInsider

After studying Jake Locker's game tape, ESPN's Ron Jaworski came away believing Locker still has a "long way to go" to become a successful NFL quarterback.

Ranked 31st in Jaws' QB Countdown, Locker displayed suspect awareness in terms of reading defenses, poorer accuracy on movement throws than expected, and a startling proneness to getting sacked. "While Locker has often been talked about as throwing well on the run, a careful look at all his throws reveals that he is erratic with both his clarity and his accuracy," Jaws stated. "What really stood out in evaluating Locker was the number of sacks he took that resulted from pressure outside the box, especially from the slot." Jaworski concluded by saying, "if (Locker) does not throw with more consistent accuracy, he will always struggle to become a quality NFL starter."

Edited by Vin

From the original post:

The move will certainly test Locker's football IQ, which hasn't always been the brightest through his first two seasons. The fact that the Titans already seem to be grasping at straws with their would-be franchise QB isn't a terribly promising sign.

:rofl:

Obvious burn.

Still can't believe Locker, Gabbert and Ponder got drafted that high. I mean, you can because teams are QB starved but man... it was all there on tape. What are you doing?

Still can't believe Locker, Gabbert and Ponder got drafted that high. I mean, you can because teams are QB starved but man... it was all there on tape. What are you doing?

What? And wait til the 2nd round and draft Andy Dalton or Colin Kaepernick? Are you stupid? :yao:

Famous-characters-Troll-face-Okay-Guy-216827.png

• Upvote 1

To be fair, Locker at least had solid gametape for the pro-styled offense he played in at Washington, especially from his junior season.

In my opinion I don't see an issue with the use of a wristband. In fact if you look at the broad spectrum of QB acumen starting with the likes of Mike Vick and working your way up to Peyton Manning, I feel it would be more efficient for each quarterback to wear a wristband simply from a communication perspective with the OC or the coach calling in the plays. Now with QBs like Manning & Brady it might not matter as much since they do seem to have more plays called at the LOS, but if you think about it, it is far easier for the coach to signal Green 21, or Blue 9 rather than 0 out off 258 Max Squirrle X in, Z stutter. It would not even be a huge ordeal for other players to wear the same tyle of wristbands.

Simplifying the verbiage from coach to QB would allow a quicker pace to the LOS.

To me this sounds a bit nit-pickish to bash a QB for using a wristband.

This wristband thing is not even a concern. Locker is going to be just fine. There's a lot to admire about Locker's game athleticism, leadership and character. He has all the physical tools to be a top 10 QB. If anything I think, his only flaw lies with decision making. But I think we'll see him settle in this year and really impress. Especially with a revamped O-line there will be improvement!!!