RazorStar

Razor's Active QB Rankings

15. Cam Newton

Now we're getting into the meat of things, Cam is a do it all dynamo, who while still having growing pains, is growing into that leader the Panthers need. He's the ultimate dual threat QB, at least to me because he is so capable of running the football, and being able to take the vicious hits that come with being that kind of QB. As a passer, he still needs to improve on accuracy, but he makes the deep ball pretty.

14. Alex Smith

I just believe that Smith finally found the formula that makes him work, highly efficient QB play, a possibility of being a decent run option, and important first down routes. The pinnacle of efficient game play without being a gamebreaker. I value it slightly more than being the ultimate gambreaker with flaws in efficiency.

13. Colin Kaepernick

Love his potential, but he's inconsistent and while he'll be the reason you beat a team like the Pats, he's also the reason why you lose to the Seahawks or Ravens. Absolutely capable of taking Harbaugh's offense to the next level, but a smart defense with serious gamechangers are going to be the bane of his existence.

12. Matt Schaub

He's really a boring guy to talk about. He's like the baseline of a very good QB. Efficient, has a few big strengths (play action, knowing when to play it safe), a few weaknesses (statue, unclutch), and is passable in all other regards. You will never regret having him against lesser competition, but you'll never see him step his game up to that elite level like the other QB's above (or soon to be above him). Not to say that any of these things are bad, it's just justification for why he should not be higher.

11. Russell Wilson

Let me just say this, all of the gushing for Andrew Luck would not bug me as much if Russell Wilson was not getting equal amounts of praise. Here's the truth, he's not. An absolute sparkplug for the Hawks, he does something that few QB's manage, make the receivers around look better than they are. Golden Tate and Sidney Rice were bonafide superstar threats with him running the offense. And yes, they may have run the ball a lot, but it's a strength of the team. You look at his games against Chicago, San Francisco and Arizona later in the year and you see the kind of player this kid could become. I am absolutely enthralled to see his development next year, because he's already one of the most cerebral young QB's in this league.

10. Antonio Ramiro Romo

It's not your fault, Tony. Don't blame the haters. Lots of QB's pack it in in week 17. Like Peyton Manning. Unfortunately for him, he's never had a team (offenses certainly, not a team), like Peyton has had to be comfortable packing it in on the last week of the year. Here's a guy who can make 5 comebacks in a season and still get shit on because when you needed him to be Tom Brady, he turned into Jake Plummer. The good is that he plays his best when the game is at it's 11th hour. And when it's not he's still usually the guy with the higher passer rating. He can hit his guys in the hands anywhere on the field and is usually a big difference maker. However this is about the point in the list where you need to be so much more than very good.

9. RGKnee.

Literally all he has to do is stay healthy. He's played like the best QB in football last year, his combination of dynamic play, intelligence and arm strength is unmatched in this league. Just stay healthy, stay consistent, and there is no reason why he can't be number 1 in this league. Yes, even above Rodgers. That's how good he can be.

8. Peyton Manning

Haters just X'd out. Lemme explain before you get mad. Peyton beats up on weak sisters. He does it spectacularly, but it's all the same. You know what you'll get from him, and you'll rarely see his teams upset. If they're favoured in a game, they'll win. If they're not... well we'll see. However against tough competition it's always the same story, he falters. He doesn't bring his A game to the biggest games, and that is enough of a knock on the greatest regular season QB ever.

7. Joe Flacco

I can't put him any higher. I want to, after that Joe Montana like postseason but I can't. He's not pushing elite in the regular season, just pushing enough to get a playoff spot. Then he turns into Joe Cool and puts his best ball out there. Stepping up in the postseason is a big plus in this part of hallowed QB territory.

6. Matt Ryan

It's like we turned back the clock and got Peyton Manning in his prime. An absolute regular season horse, one of the most efficient QB's in the league by a good bit, and then the playoffs come where... wait a second, he actually didn't do that bad in the postseason this year. He wasn't completely stomped by the eventual NFC Champs, pulling almost 400 yards and nearly 10 YPA out of his hat in a losing effort. Those kind of numbers are rare, and a similar thing happened to Drew Brees the year before in a shootout with the Niners. What I'm getting at here is Ryan is finding a way to translate his regular season skills to the postseason, and that could make the Falcons a real threat for a super bowl this year, even with the blows to their defense.

5. Eli Manning

It's all about that clutch play when the game matters most. There's not a guy out there I'd want other than Eli right now. He's always aware of where the rush is, and how to best find the open guy. His major issue is November syndrome where he gathers nuts and berries and hibernates for the playoffs in his Snuggie. Then the Giants just miss the playoffs some years. Any year they're in though, they are absolutely the strongest team in the postseason, and Eli is the primary reason why.

4. Ben Roethlisberger

I was flipflopping between he and Eli for the 4th spot, and that came down to Ben's health. The man can't stay on the field the whole 16 games. But when he's out there, he's the T-1000. Elusive, unstoppable, deadly efficient, and a 4th quarter warrior.

And of course the top 3.

3. Tommy Brady

Fuck Tom Brady.

2. Drew Brees

Fuck Drew Brees.

1. Aaron Rodgers

Fuck Aaron Rodgers.

Because really, what more needs to be said about the three dominant players with no imperative flaws in their games. Brady and Brees are getting old so that may harm them in the future, but for now, these guys combine great completion percentage with few interceptions, or a ton of touchdowns to make up for being average in avoiding INT's. All have proven themselves on the biggest stage, and absolutely are he biggest terrors on the biggest stages. These are the three no team ever wants to face.

Very nice rankings, I can't necessarily say I disagree on any of your points. It's refreshing to find another Bronco fan who shares my opinion of Peyton Manning. I genuinely don't think we'll win the big one until it actually happens. You have Sam Bradford in a good spot but I think he could take a big jump this year. Tavon Austin, Stedman Bailey, and Jared Cook are going to make him look good. That said they're going to have to because he no longer has the luxury of a running game to go with his solid o-line.

Flacco is genuinely the only one I would knock down a few spots. He had an excellent post season, the same post season they eeked into. I still believe he is a one trick pony and that team wouldn't function without Ray Rice. Put Jay Cutler on the Ravens with that running game and protection, and I doubt you would see a drop off.

My top 3 would be the same, just the names in the hat and pull them out. However, if Tommy Terrific has a typical Brady season this year with that team in shambles, I have no problem putting him at number one, possibly even number one all-time (and I don't even like him).

Anyway, solid analysis. :yep:

If you are going to have Eli at 5.....you have to have Flacco above Matt Ryan.

No need to apologize to me for having Gabbert at the bottom. I've never thought he was good :shrug:

Also, to solidify Razor's original rankings of Gabbert's douche meter sitting at #13:

I was more apologizing to you for giving you the image of gabbert shitting down your throat.

If you are going to have Eli at 5.....you have to have Flacco above Matt Ryan.

Not really sure about that. If Flacco was as capable as Ryan all the time, there'd be no argument from me, but Ryan is the guy you'd rather have at QB most of the season. If Flacco does keep up his postseason play (18 TDs to 2 INTs the past three years, and nearly 8.0 YPA) I might agree with you. but if Ryan does the same in the postseason, we'll have a tougher argument.

30. Jake Locker, Titans

He's mobile at least? He's inaccurate and interception prone. I'd keep a short leash on him, Fitzpatrick is the better option but I doubt Munchak goes away from his guy unless an injury happens. I think an injury will happen, but not for week 1.

I really don't want Kolb to be our starter.

I really don't want Kolb to be our starter.

If I was a Buffalo fan, I'd rather start Kolb for a while than rush Manuel. I think some of these non blue chip QB prospects would benefit from some time on the bench before being thrown into the fire. And Kolb was actually decent in his starts for Arizona last year, behind a line that we all know wasn't doing him any favors.

Honestly, Razor...you should apply for Jaws' job.