BwareDWare94

Rockets' Options: The Power Forward

3 members have voted

1. 1. Who start at Houston's Power Forward Position?

• Greg Smith
    • Terrence Jones
    • Donatas Motiejunas
    • Elton Brand
    • Chandler Parsons

Houston's gaping hole in their lineup is currently at the power forward position. I'm going to outline several candidates, 3 who are on the roster and one free agent that I think Houston should consider signing. I'll also add a potential 4 on Houston's roster who, quite simply, isn't a 4.

The Leading Candidate: Greg Smith

Greg-Smith-vs-Lakers-610x377.jpg

Smith is a beast in the physical sense, but he's not consistent enough scoring the ball for me to be confident with him starting at the 4 for 82 games. McHale loves him, as would anyone who watches him play, but he needs to be close to the basket to be effective offensively, and that doesn't work with Dwight Howard

The Should-Start Candidate: Terrence Jones

terrence-jones-rookie-rockets.jpg

Jones is not only an athletic slasher, he's got a decent outside shot, and like Smith, plays very capable defense. Based on his skill set, he fits best with Dwight Howard because he'll be able to spot up but also slash to the bucket when attention is paid to Howard. With these two on the floor, Houston could have their own version of Lob City.

The Highest Potential Candidate: Donatas Motiejunas

paveikslelis-61888-bg.jpg

Motiejunas is so full of potential that this might be Houston's best option in the long term. He can shoot. He's another 7 footer. He can rebound, but his defense leaves much to be desired. Hopefully, DMo has been taking lessons from Kelvin Sampson in the offseason. If his defense is improved, even slightly, he could run away with the competition in training camp and preseason. If not, he'll find himself riding the pine like he did going into the playoffs last year. He has to learn to play defense.

The Free Agent Candidate: Elton Brand

Elton+Brand+Dallas+Mavericks+v+Brooklyn+Nets+CiCLKaaheI0l.jpg

If Houston decides to look into the free agent market, Brand would be able to stretch the floor just enough to keep Howard comfortable. With his jump shot, Brand could rediscover himself a bit in Houston, and could provide the leadership that Houston's team so obviously lacked last season, the leadership that Howard himself simply won't provide.

The Unsuspected Candidate: Chandler Parsons

chandler_parsons2.jpg

Parsons started at the 4 in the playoffs last year as soon as Houston realized how much Francisco Garcia was able to pester Durant defensively. If Houston wants to mould itself according to Orlando's Finals appearance with Dwight, the lineup would have to be 1. Beverly (because he SHOULD start ahead of Lin) 2. Harden 3. Garcia 4. Parsons 5. Howard. While I don't think this is likely, it is certainly a possibility if none of these true Power Forward scenarios plays out.

Let me know what y'all think.

Yeah I make fun of NBA sometimes but my knowledge of the Sport is easily the weakest of the big 4. <_<

They should just go buy another player. So Ill say Elton Brand.

• Upvote 1

They should just go buy another player. So Ill say Elton Brand.

Dude, why do you keep bringing that up? I said the Heat purchased 3 superstar players and won a couple of titles. That's all. Houston makes one free agent signing of the same magnitude and you're acting like it's the same thing. It's not. Just drop it, will you?

Dude, why do you keep bringing that up? I said the Heat purchased 3 superstar players and won a couple of titles. That's all. Houston makes one free agent signing of the same magnitude and you're acting like it's the same thing. It's not. Just drop it, will you?

Tell me the 3rd superstar player they purchased. Also, I'm willing to bet the Heat have more players on the roster they actually drafted. You spin things to fit your opinion all the time.

• Upvote 1

Tell me the 3rd superstar player they purchased. Also, I'm willing to bet the Heat have more players on the roster they actually drafted. You spin things to fit your opinion all the time.

Did you forget that Wade was a free agent, too? He'd visited Chicago and was strongly considering signing there.

Did you forget that Wade was a free agent, too? He'd visited Chicago and was strongly considering signing there.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

So you can purchase a player, you drafted and was just testing the FA market that a lot of FAs do.

So tell me how the Rockets are not trying to purchase a ring.

Dwight Howard - Signed

Omer Asik - Signed

Jeremy Lin - Signed

James Harden - Trade

Terrence Jones - Drafted

Donatas Motiejunas - Trade

Francisco Garcia - Trade

Omri Casspi - Signed

Chandler Parsons - Drafted

Greg Smith - Signed

Patrick Beverley - Signed

Reggie Williams - Signed.

7 of those players were signed. 2 actually drafted by you. And the rest traded for.

Did you know that Lebron and Bosh were both S&T to the Heat. Since you wanna bring up Wade going to the Bulls. How do we know that Bosh and Lebron would end up there had they not been traded for. Also you know that Lebron tried to convince Bosh to play for Cleveland before hand. Rockets bought a championship, more than the Heat did.

• Upvote 1

Give me Jones. His per-36 numbers look better then the other options already on the roster, and he's looked really good in SL action. That's not the end-all, but i'm impressed.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

So you can purchase a player, you drafted and was just testing the FA market that a lot of FAs do.

So tell me how the Rockets are not trying to purchase a ring.

Dwight Howard - Signed

Omer Asik - Signed

Jeremy Lin - Signed

James Harden - Trade

Terrence Jones - Drafted

Donatas Motiejunas - Trade

Francisco Garcia - Trade

Omri Casspi - Signed

Chandler Parsons - Drafted

Greg Smith - Signed

Patrick Beverley - Signed

Reggie Williams - Signed.

7 of those players were signed. 2 actually drafted by you. And the rest traded for.

Did you know that Lebron and Bosh were both S&T to the Heat. Since you wanna bring up Wade going to the Bulls. How do we know that Bosh and Lebron would end up there had they not been traded for. Also you know that Lebron tried to convince Bosh to play for Cleveland before hand. Rockets bought a championship, more than the Heat did.

And how many NBA rosters are built that way? What I'm talking about is Superstar power purchased, in which case Miami signed 3 of them. Houston cast away plenty to get Harden and has only signed one legitimate superstar. It's not even close to the same thing and in no way has Houston purchased a championship (if they win one) more so than Miami did.

And how many NBA rosters are built that way? What I'm talking about is Superstar power purchased, in which case Miami signed 3 of them. Houston cast away plenty to get Harden and has only signed one legitimate superstar. It's not even close to the same thing and in no way has Houston purchased a championship (if they win one) more so than Miami did.

Yup just what I thought. You would spin it to fit your opinion and team. Wade was resigned, he doesn't count as being purchased. The Rockets bought the team they have get over it. :corn:

• Upvote 1

The only reason the Rockets haven't signed a 3rd is because they haven't been able to.

• Upvote 1

Not really the same at all since he was drafted by the Heat and had already won a ring there. And is Bosh really a ''superstar''? Can't quite say so lol. Good player, but not a superstar. So really, the Heat only bought 1 superstar.

Your Rockets are definitely trying harder to purchase a championship. Barely any homegrown talent left on your squad now. Sorry bro, but it's true.

Might be time to find a new team with a majority of homegrown talent, Bware.

• Upvote 1

Since when does re-signing a player you drafted and developed for years count as purchasing a star?