Sign in to follow this  
Guest Phailadelphia

Stay Classy, Philadelphia

Aren't you Canadian, Cardinal?

I am, yes! Why do you ask? :shrug:

• Downvote 1

ITT: Nobody understands that words can be derived from other words, making them inherently different.

Sean, dutch, Dmac, and Sarge aside, that is.

lol huh? It's quite clear I acknowledged that the two words are different and have their respective meanings.

I disagreed with it for the reason in my post, but I still understand. ;)

• Upvote 1

I guess if you live in Boston you are safe then since they don't say their "R"s anyway.

One more thought I have.

My dads uncle calls just about every single race by slang terms at times. Doesn't bother me though. What are you going to do call this old white man racist?

Old man fought in WWII. Was right there in battle in one of the most gruesome times in history. Saw things we never have seen. None of us have any freaking clue what some older generations went through and how some of the racial terms were a norm in their lives.

Possibly some younger folks who do use these words were raised with elders who used them too while they were growing up. And that's not always something that can be taken away and sometimes they come out in the heat of the moment while intoxicated.

And lastly a lot of black media/entertainment and music is detrimental to the image of African Americans. Not all of it, but a lot of it.

JMO

Edited by Jules

One more thought I have.

My dads uncle calls just about every single race by slang terms at times. Doesn't bother me though. What are you going to do call this old white man racist?

Old man fought in WWII. Was right there in battle in one of the most gruesome times in history. Saw things we never have seen. None of us have any freaking clue what some older generations went through and how some of the racial terms were a norm in their lives.

Possibly some younger folks who do use these words were raised with elders who used them too while they were growing up. And that's not always something that can be taken away and sometimes they come out in the heat of the moment while intoxicated.

And lastly a lot of black media/entertainment and music is detrimental to the image of African Americans. Not all of it, but a lot of it.

JMO

This is about Riley Cooper, not all of our racist grandfathers.

Riley Cooper is 25. If he was actually a racist, there would be no excuses.

This is about Riley Cooper, not all of our racist grandfathers.

Riley Cooper is 25. If he was actually a racist, there would be no excuses.

I agree, I got carried away but that's my nature too.

Call me pessimistic but I feel racism in America is getting worse and worse. Not just from whites but from everyone.....

I have spent considerable time in a small island in the Caribbean. I am porcelain white and myself and the local blacks there have NO ISSUES with each other. No race issues, NONE. It is never brought up and they even think we are crazy at times here. We just are......I have talked, drank and shared meals with friends there of different races. And rarely do I hear racial terms to describe one another.

Now in America many give each other attitude a lot and are too busy with their own agenda. Based on my personal experiences at least which are not the same for everyone.

Sometimes I feel it is America that has the issue more then anything and I don't see it ending anytime soon as long as the media and our "leaders" keep pumping it out there to get people stirred up.

JMO

Edited by Jules

At the same time, how do you expect society to understand that when the two words we're discussing are so close? Derivation is fine but why would you derive from a word with that kind of context?

For the record, I understand why some people consider them different words. I just can't separate them, myself.

I don't expect anything positive/logical out of society anymore.

Sean and others have already explained, in detail, why they would derive a word out of the original, derogatorily paramount word.

lol huh? It's quite clear I acknowledged that the two words are different and have their respective meanings.

I disagreed with it for the reason in my post, but I still understand. ;)

Literally nobody cares about you.

You care about me. And that's all that matters.

Been posting in the morning lately Zackary. New job?

Stay Classy,I saw a player of the Philadelphia Eagles team make an ass of himself,not the whole city! No one that cares excuses him for his behavior at a concert,and as a member rep=post-7417-0-29004200-1376094396_thumb.jpging my city,my team moved quickly. Riley Cooper put his foot in it,he will or won't get it out,however trying to blame the team of many races,or the city of many races is as dumb as what Mr. Cooper said.

• Upvote 1

Stay Classy,I saw a player of the Philadelphia Eagles team make an ass of himself,not the whole city! No one that cares excuses him for his behavior at a concert,and as a member rep=post-7417-0-29004200-1376094396_thumb.jpging my city,my team moved quickly. Riley Cooper put his foot in it,he will or won't get it out,however trying to blame the team of many races,or the city of many races is as dumb as what Mr. Cooper said.

Dude. We're way past the Dallas / Philadelphia trash talking portion of the thread... I'm not sure we ever really entered it. Now we're into the personal conversations about new jobs portion of the thread.

Edited by GA_Eagle

I honestly can't believe this thread is still going. It's all about context folks. The guy basically said he would "fight every other nigger in here". He definitely wasn't using it as a term of endearment, or even saying it as a joke. Sure he was intoxicated, but that doesn't change the fact that it was said out of malice. You can't expect people to get over it, because it's "just a word" and "black people say it all the time'. That argument is nonsensical. And please, don't even TRY to compare it to the word "cracker".

Race will always be an issue as long as we continue to talk about it. Some people will always inherently be wary of someone else that is a little different. Whether it's someone with a different skin colour, someone of a different sexual orientation, or even someone that just looks a little different. These are problems that will always plague humanity. And the answer isn't to try and sweep it under the couch and pretend that nothing is wrong. Nor is it to play the "race card" at every single opportunity, which adds to the problem just as much. The only thing we can do is to accept that it exists and try to live our lives the best way we know how.

Children are not born racist. They are influenced by their social surroundings, and the context of their childhood, will influence their perspective in adulthood. One day race will be a non-issue. Adults will see through it, the same way they did as when they were kids. You already see it happening in the younger generations. But until that day comes, we've all got to make our own little steps to get to where we know we can be as a society.

Acceptance and acknowledgement is that first step.

Edited by RANGA
  • Upvote 2