Sign in to follow this  
Vin

Tank Biathlon? Yes, Please.

This needs to happen. It won't. But it needs to.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2013/08/10/210837966/russia-invites-u-s-to-a-tank-biathlon

Russia has invited the U.S. to participate in a tank biathlon so that both nations may learn to play nice — with heavy artillery.

The invitation was apparently extended while Secretary of State John Kerry and Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel Sergei Lavrov and Sergei Shoigu in Washington on Friday. The "two-on-two" talks were intended to relieve some of the tension between the two countries, so the suggestion of a little friendly competition — under fire — wasn't out of place.

Defense Minister Shoigu repeated the invitation during a Friday press conference, and according to Russia's , Shoigu says the U.S. agreed.

"'We've invited our American colleagues to participate ... and our invitation was accepted by US Secretary of Defense [Chuck] Hagel,' Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu said Saturday."

NPR can't confirm this — calls to the Department of Defense went unanswered Saturday — but if such an event does take place, Shoigu says it'll be sometime next year.

Russia might have the advantage, however; Russia has already hosted at least two tank biathlons. Another, the championship, is planned .

As to what exactly happens in a tank biathlon, think of a regular biathlon — then forget about it:

"In the tank biathlon, every tank runs almost 20 kilometres at a maximum possible speed, while firing from all weapons the targets, which are rising in different directions and distances. On the course, a tank has to pass repeatedly a ford, fences, a rut bridge, high-speed sections and overtaking passages. At all the times, the crew remains constantly in the firing position."

They would probably crush us -- possibly literally. I would be afraid of some kind of "accident" or "misfiring" by the Russians to ever go through with this. Lol

This would be fun to watch.

... from a distance

• Upvote 1

... from a distance

Look at it this way: we get to watch our boys in arms do a bunch of exercises in tanks, which I find joy in. (This isn't our military, but watch this:

)

Although, on the contrary (though this is almost 100% unlikely), we would experience a war break out on live television. That would be unfortunate.

Haha who ever even knows what the F is going on between America and Russia at times.

:party:

Lmao. That video makes me want to vomit over and over again.

Look at it this way: we get to watch our boys in arms do a bunch of exercises in tanks, which I find joy in. (This isn't our military, but watch this:

)

Although, on the contrary (though this is almost 100% unlikely), we would experience a war break out on live television. That would be unfortunate.

It would be like the American/Russian Hunger Games with adults.

You make that seem almost awesome. lol

• Upvote 1

You make that seem almost awesome. lol

I know lol, I felt almost bad typing that. ;)

Edited by Jules