Sign in to follow this  
AL_Royalty

J.J. Watt playing both ways???

Are the Houston Texans preparing to add a hulking chess piece to the offense?

Defensive end J.J. Watt is badgering coach Gary Kubiak for the chance to line up on the opposite side of the ball.

"I've been lobbying since day one," Watt said Tuesday, per the Houston Chronicle. "It hasn't worked yet, so I don't think it's going to work anytime soon, but it's (Kubiak's) team."

Watt spoke of playing in a jumbo "Wisconsin" package alongside tight ends (and former Badgers) Owen Daniels and Garrett Graham. But that personnel grouping remains a myth for now, according to their coach.

"We might let (Watt) in there at some point," said Kubiak. "But it's not going to be anytime soon."

Our question: Why not?

The 6-foot-5, 289-pound Watt was an MVP-level force last season. Besides, he owns freakishly big hands and took snaps at tight end at Central Michigan before transferring to Wisconsin. Watt's playoff pick six against the Bengals two seasons ago was further proof he can do it all.

It's high time for the Texans to spice up their offense. This would do the trick.

If this gets any momentum and Watt can actually catch, that's fucking insane. I have no doubt that the guy can block, and he's lightning fast for a DL. That's still moving pretty well for a TE, so this could be scary...

It's nice in theory, but I'd rather just keep him on the field playing the position that he is BEST at. There's no doubt in my mind that he could play tight end in certain packages, but I'd rather him stay fresh and having his mind focused solely on playing defense.

It's not like the Texans are terribly thin at tight end either. Owen Daniels and Garrett Graham are a great tandem, and they also drafted Ryan Griffin. I'd entertain the idea more if there happened to be an injury to either Daniels or Graham, but God willing hopefully that never comes to be. (Knock on wood)

It would definitely be cool but like said before me, I don't think it's worth it. Keep him where he's best so he can stay fresh.

First and foremost, I am not endorsing some hybrid role for Watt, he should stay on defense. But when the story broke my brain kept going to a young Julius Peppers lining up at WR or FB on goal to go situations for CAR back in the day. And it is a fun thing to think about, at least for me.

So I propose to you, can, will and how effective do you think he could be, even if only used to give the opposition a headache in certain situations?

For me, I don't think we will see him on offense this season. He is too prominent and valuable as a defender. The defense would definitely want to send him a message.

But he is a freak of nature who has great hands, and is capable of contributing on offense. In a TE capacity do you think a LBer could muscle his way across Watts body? I do not. In a FB capacity do you think he could blast the line of scrimmage? I do. And in a WR capacity do you think he could line up, if not played closely catch a screen and give some DB nightmares? I do, and he would manipulate coverage out of fear the way Peppers did. Peppers didn't catch many jumpballs in the endzone. But he did force the defense to tip their hand on how to cover a 6'8" crazy person either by substitution or by sliding a LB far outside the box in goal to go situations, and he did blast the line like a beast a few times at FB. I could see Watt doing that and apparently, so does he.

What do you guys think? He's got the freak factor going for him.