Sign in to follow this  
CampinWithaMissingPerson

Campin's Preseason Top 32

What do you guys think of Boyd? I've seen him going to the Vikings in week-by-week 2014 mocks.

He's pretty steady. Good tools but like most qbs, it will come down to development. I like him as a prospect more than Ponder. I laughed for real when you picked him.

Boyd doesn't seem to be asked to pass deep often. Which is odd because he clearly has the arm to do it. I think his skillset is underrated. He shows excellent poise and toughness. Also understands and executes varied deliveries of the ball. I see a lot to like in terms of his ability to master the details of being an NFL qb. He'd be a solid pro with a good chance (1 in 3) of developing into a bona fide franchise qb.

If he's on the board, I'd take him. He has that champions look to his play and has a knack for playing great in the tough matchups.

I'm gonna need to rework my list to include Cyril Richardson. I know he's been criticized for playing below his talent level, but he has some pretty good tape too. Rewatched his Holiday Bowl vs UCLA. Driving people 5 yards back, combo blocking, pulling nice and tight to the line and hitting the second level through the B gap. Lots to like. And he can engulf people in pass pro, though he needs more work in that phase. Do want.

He'd be a solid pro with a good chance (1 in 3) of developing into a bona fide franchise qb.

If he's on the board, I'd take him. He has that champions look to his play and has a knack for playing great in the tough matchups.

Solid enough that with a further improved Vikings defense and the weapons we have on offense, we could be legitimate contenders in 2-3 years under Boyd?

He'd be a solid pro with a good chance (1 in 3) of developing into a bona fide franchise qb.

Solid enough that with a further improved Vikings defense and the weapons we have on offense, we could be legitimate contenders in 2-3 years under Boyd?

I would think he compares favorably to Josh Freeman coming out. Not physical dimensions wise. But capable of being a day 1 starter.

He has some things to clean up. Personally, I see him struggling with proper footwork. He often exhibits lazy feet. That's not atypical of college qbs. It leads to him thowing across his frame frequently. He has compensated for that by developing an overdeveloped tendency to sling the ball from odd angles. He does this very well but the problem being he's not a tall qb, and his delivery point is low when he does this.

He is a good athlete. I really like his stout frame as he should hold up to NFL punishment well. He also shows excellent poise in the pocket. His offense is kind of a one read offense. He will have to adjust and grow in that area.

I guess it all depends on what kind of team the vikings are trying to build. I suppose you'd be more able to shed light on that.

If the Vikings want to stick to the power running game, Boyd would be a good option for them at QB. He can throw the deep ball with accuracy off playaction. And he would be good on bootlegs as well.

Hageman fucked bitches today. 3 deflections and 1 INT... at his size too...

Mike+Evans+Texas+v+Mississippi+BRIS4BIlK

Anquan Boldin with height. He's an interesting one though, because it's hard to tell how many of his receptions+yards come off of broken plays. Probably not a whole bunch but I'd say a decent amount. He'd look good in Honolulu blue though... Just sayin.

Also Jeremy Gallon is looking like he's gonna be great in the slot in the NFL.

Edited by DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F

Mike+Evans+Texas+v+Mississippi+BRIS4BIlK

Anquan Boldin with height. He's an interesting one though, because it's hard to tell how many of his receptions+yards come off of broken plays. Probably not a whole bunch but I'd say a decent amount. He'd look good in Honolulu blue though... Just sayin.

Also Jeremy Gallon is looking like he's gonna be great in the slot in the NFL.

A ton of his production comes off broken plays. But he can win at the catch point down the field... that's the important part.

1. Jadaveon Clowney, DE, So. Carolina: I shouldn't have to explain this one.

2. Anthony Barr, DE/OLB, UCLA: Elite burst and nowhere near his ceiling.

3. Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville: Very few issues w/ his game; could go #1.

4. Bradley Roby, CB, OSU: Rare combination of cerebreal play and elite physical tools. What's his problem?

5. Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson: Great explosion out of his breaks.

6. Ryan Shazier, OLB, OSU: Lavonte David like WOLB w/ better cover skills.

7. Cyrus Kouandijo, OT, Alabama: Great run blocker for being such a fluid pass protector.

8. Louis Nix III, NT, Notre Dame: Way more nimble than you expect from a run stuffing NT.

9. C.J. Mosley, OLB, Alabama: Excellent range and closes extremely fast.

10. Will Sutton, DT, ASU: Elite penetrator; size concerns are overblown.

11. Antonio Richardson, OT, Tennessee: Massive man, effortless mover, elite potential.

12. Marqise Lee, WR, USC: Great routes, hands, and YAC ability.

13. Stephon Tuitt, DE, Notre Dame: Powerful, uses hands, excellent bull rush sets everything else up. Not coming out.

14. Bryn Renner, QB, UNC: See Below. Lololololol.

15. Seantrel Henderson, OT, Miami: Earth mover in the run game; engulfs in pass pro a la Cordy Glenn. He's an idiot.

16. Brandon Coleman, WR, Rutgers: Best size/speed combo I've seen in several seasons; needs focus.

17. Jason Verrett, CB, TCU: Physical despite size; fluid, instinctual, w/ plus ball skills.

18. Louchiez Purifoy, CB, Florida: Top end tools and great vs the run; bites too often on PA.

19. Jake Matthews, OT, Texas AM: Great pop in run game; uses technique/hands to overcome so-so feet.

20. Tajh Boyd, QB, Clemson: Possesses a deep ball accuracy rarely seen in college.

21. Austin Seferian-Jenkins, TE, Washington: Nice dual threat TE who can be consistent in both phases.

22. Trent Murphy, DE/OLB, Stanford: Converts speed to power extraordinarily well.

23. Stephen Morris, QB, Miami: Superb arm and has improved in mental aspects of the game.

24. Timmy Jernigan, DT, FSU: Nice athleticism and quickness that will be better when his hands improve.

25. Aaron Lynch, DE, USF: High upside pass rusher; could be a complete 4-3 DE with development.

26. Colt Lyerla, TE, Oregon: One of the draft's best athletes and a dangerous pass catcher. What happened here?

27. Hasean Clinton-Dix, FS, Alabama: Overcomes lack of physicality w/ great athleticism in coverage.

28. Donte Montcrief, WR, Mississippi: Thick, strong receiver who can separate from or overpower DB's. Oops.

29. Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, CB, Oregon: Great instincts and timing allow him to overcome avg physical tools.

30. Jackson Jeffcoat, DE/OLB, Texas: Elite first step w/ as much upside as anyone in the draft.

31. Ra'Shede Hageman, DT, Minnesota: Massive man who moves well for size.

32. Daniel McCullers, DT, Tennessee: Size/athelticism is tough to find; needs to be in better shape.

First adjustment:

1. J. Clowney, DE, So. Carolina: No movement; still dominant.
  2. T. Bridgewater, QB, Louisville: Up 1; Such rare vision/touch and he wins pre-snap.
  3. M. Mariota, QB, Oregon: Unrated; Has really shown my something as a passer.
  4. A. Barr, OLB, UCLA: Down 2; Awesome player-- QB's just passed him.
  5. S. Watkins, WR, Clemson: No movement; So much untapped potential here still.
  6. L. Nix III, NT, Notre Dame: Up 2; Such a stud-- could rewatch him in Nat. Champ. game for hours.
  7. R. Shazier, OLB, OSU: Down 1; Love his ability to flow to the ball.
  8. C. Mosley, OLB, Alabama: Up 1; Great combo of instincts/smarts and physical capability.
  9. C. Kouandijo, OT, Alabama: Down 2; Ability to be great in all facets.
  10. J. Matthews, OT, Texas AM: Up 9; Better feet than I thought.
  11. K. Mack, DE/OLB, Buffalo: Unrated; Violent, instinctual, athletic, and can cover.
  12. M. Evans, WR, Texas AM: Unrated; Wins at the catch point w/ physical dominance.
  13. Z. Mettenberger, QB, LSU: Unrated; Great arm-- can make any throw at the next level.
  14. M. Lee, WR, USC: Down 2; Getting lost in bad situation, still very explosive.
  15. W. Sutton, DT, ASU: Down 5; Still winning on tape despite production drop-off.
  16. B. Hundley, QB, UCLA: Unrated; Want to see more downfield, but traits are great.
  17. J. Verrett, CB, TCU: No Movement; Feisty and physical corner who can stick in man coverage.
  18. T. Boyd, QB, Clemson: Up 2; Still a good prospect, just passed by some breakout QB's.
  19. A. Richardson, OT, Tennessee: Down 8; Talent is all there, just needs to refine technique.
  20. J. Manziel, QB, Texas AM: Unrated; Not sure if he can execute a game's worth of scripted plays.
  21. E. Ebron, TE, UNC: Unrated; Drops aren't great, but he dominates otherwise.
  22. B. Roby, CB, OSU: Down 18; What the heck is wrong with him?
  23. V. Beasley, DE/OLB, Clemson: Unrated; Gets to QB in a flash-- needs to develop elsewhere.
  24. T. Murphy, DE/OLB, Stanford: Down 2; Well-rounded player that may be better off at 4-3 DE.
  25. H. Clinton-Dix, FS, Alabma: Up 2; Coverage legit-- still not very physical.
  26. A. Lynch, DE/OLB, USF: Down 1; Runs the arc well. I need to see more.
  27. T. Lewan, OT, Michigan: Unrated; Still overrated, but could be a great RT.
  28. R. Hageman, DT, Minnesota: Up 3; He's getting better as the season goes.
  29. A. Seferian-Jenkins, TE, Washington: Down 8; A little overrated, but a nice in-line style TE.
  30. G. Jackson, G, Miss. State: Unrated; Wins one-on-one in zone and can pull well.
  31. M. Gordon, RB, Wisconsin: Unrated; More physical than you'd think and speed is great.
  32. J. Matthews, WR, Vanderbilt: Unrated; #1 WR body type who makes plays.

EDIT: I'm stupid and didn't see Roby further down the list. By "what the heck is wrong with him", do you mean his actual playing or his attitude/personality?

EDIT2: Is Hageman starting to look more like a 1st round pick, or might he slip into the 2nd or even 3rd round?

EDIT3: I'm seeing some early mock drafts with the Vikings taking Anthony Barr early on and then a player like McCarron in the 2nd round. I've never been high on McCarron, but IF that did pan out, would both the Vikings' offense and defense be tremendously improved?

Edited by Vikingfan465

4. Bradley Roby, CB, OSU: Rare combination of cerebreal play and elite physical tools. What's his problem?

7. Cyrus Kouandijo, OT, Alabama: Great run blocker for being such a fluid pass protector.

8. Louis Nix III, NT, Notre Dame: Way more nimble than you expect from a run stuffing NT.

11. Antonio Richardson, OT, Tennessee: Massive man, effortless mover, elite potential.

13. Stephon Tuitt, DE, Notre Dame: Powerful, uses hands, excellent bull rush sets everything else up. Not coming out.

15. Seantrel Henderson, OT, Miami: Earth mover in the run game; engulfs in pass pro a la Cordy Glenn. He's an idiot.

16. Brandon Coleman, WR, Rutgers: Best size/speed combo I've seen in several seasons; needs focus.

17. Jason Verrett, CB, TCU: Physical despite size; fluid, instinctual, w/ plus ball skills.

18. Louchiez Purifoy, CB, Florida: Top end tools and great vs the run; bites too often on PA.

19. Jake Matthews, OT, Texas AM: Great pop in run game; uses technique/hands to overcome so-so feet.

20. Tajh Boyd, QB, Clemson: Possesses a deep ball accuracy rarely seen in college.

21. Austin Seferian-Jenkins, TE, Washington: Nice dual threat TE who can be consistent in both phases.

22. Trent Murphy, DE/OLB, Stanford: Converts speed to power extraordinarily well.

23. Stephen Morris, QB, Miami: Superb arm and has improved in mental aspects of the game.

24. Timmy Jernigan, DT, FSU: Nice athleticism and quickness that will be better when his hands improve.

25. Aaron Lynch, DE, USF: High upside pass rusher; could be a complete 4-3 DE with development.

26. Colt Lyerla, TE, Oregon: One of the draft's best athletes and a dangerous pass catcher. What happened here?

27. Hasean Clinton-Dix, FS, Alabama: Overcomes lack of physicality w/ great athleticism in coverage.

28. Donte Montcrief, WR, Mississippi: Thick, strong receiver who can separate from or overpower DB's. Oops.

29. Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, CB, Oregon: Great instincts and timing allow him to overcome avg physical tools.

30. Jackson Jeffcoat, DE/OLB, Texas: Elite first step w/ as much upside as anyone in the draft.

32. Daniel McCullers, DT, Tennessee: Size/athelticism is tough to find; needs to be in better shape.

First adjustment:

2. T. Bridgewater, QB, Louisville: Up 1; Such rare vision/touch and he wins pre-snap.
  6. L. Nix III, NT, Notre Dame: Up 2; Such a stud-- could rewatch him in Nat. Champ. game for hours.
  8. C. Mosley, OLB, Alabama: Up 1; Great combo of instincts/smarts and physical capability.
  11. K. Mack, DE/OLB, Buffalo: Unrated; Violent, instinctual, athletic, and can cover.
  12. M. Evans, WR, Texas AM: Unrated; Wins at the catch point w/ physical dominance.
  13. Z. Mettenberger, QB, LSU: Unrated; Great arm-- can make any throw at the next level.
  14. M. Lee, WR, USC: Down 2; Getting lost in bad situation, still very explosive.
  15. W. Sutton, DT, ASU: Down 5; Still winning on tape despite production drop-off.
  16. B. Hundley, QB, UCLA: Unrated; Want to see more downfield, but traits are great.
  17. J. Verrett, CB, TCU: No Movement; Feisty and physical corner who can stick in man coverage.
  18. T. Boyd, QB, Clemson: Up 2; Still a good prospect, just passed by some breakout QB's.
  19. A. Richardson, OT, Tennessee: Down 8; Talent is all there, just needs to refine technique.
  20. J. Manziel, QB, Texas AM: Unrated; Not sure if he can execute a game's worth of scripted plays.
  23. V. Beasley, DE/OLB, Clemson: Unrated; Gets to QB in a flash-- needs to develop elsewhere.
  24. T. Murphy, DE/OLB, Stanford: Down 2; Well-rounded player that may be better off at 4-3 DE.
  29. A. Seferian-Jenkins, TE, Washington: Down 8; A little overrated, but a nice in-line style TE.
  30. G. Jackson, G, Miss. State: Unrated; Wins one-on-one in zone and can pull well.
  31. M. Gordon, RB, Wisconsin: Unrated; More physical than you'd think and speed is great.

I'm curious as to why you have Mettenburgers higher up on this list than Johnny Manziel. I'm guessing it's that Manziel is more of an athlete than a passer, but that sort of thing is catching on in the league. Also, Zack is kind of a bum imo. He's got the arm for the next level, but he's got the quarterbacking mind of Brodie Croyle. I really could see him turning out to be another Brodie, though possibly with a few more wins since Croyle posted an 0-for-career win-loss record.

I really like #13 over there at A&M. This kid is a stud. He's probably a mid first-rounder if not higher. From what I've seen, he's a BIG reason—both literally and figuratively—that Johnny Manziel is know as Johnny Football. Kid sees a play break down and just gets it. He knows where he needs to be, and he's almost always there. That's a good thing, too, since about half of their plays break down. lol

I was sad to see Gurley get hurt. I really like his running style and think he could be effective at the next level. Georgia has a whole has been a disappointment. I will say this though. I like Andy Murray more than Metteroburgers, for what it's worth.

Admittedly I'm not a big follower of the trench guys in college. I'm pretty into the QB's more than anything. I love watching good backs, but the fact that I'm really bad with names makes it difficult for me to keep up with guys who have one-two years as starters on 120 different teams. I stick to the "sexier" picks, probably because they're just easier to keep an eye on with all the help that the media lends. The big men pretty much always take care of themselves.

First adjustment:

I'm curious as to why you have Mettenburgers higher up on this list than Johnny Manziel. I'm guessing it's that Manziel is more of an athlete than a passer, but that sort of thing is catching on in the league. Also, Zack is kind of a bum imo. He's got the arm for the next level, but he's got the quarterbacking mind of Brodie Croyle. I really could see him turning out to be another Brodie, though possibly with a few more wins since Croyle posted an 0-for-career win-loss record.

I really like #13 over there at A&M. This kid is a stud. He's probably a mid first-rounder if not higher. From what I've seen, he's a BIG reason—both literally and figuratively—that Johnny Manziel is know as Johnny Football. Kid sees a play break down and just gets it. He knows where he needs to be, and he's almost always there. That's a good thing, too, since about half of their plays break down. lol

I was sad to see Gurley get hurt. I really like his running style and think he could be effective at the next level. Georgia has a whole has been a disappointment. I will say this though. I like Andy Murray more than Metteroburgers, for what it's worth.

Admittedly I'm not a big follower of the trench guys in college. I'm pretty into the QB's more than anything. I love watching good backs, but the fact that I'm really bad with names makes it difficult for me to keep up with guys who have one-two years as starters on 120 different teams. I stick to the "sexier" picks, probably because they're just easier to keep an eye on with all the help that the media lends. The big men pretty much always take care of themselves.

I am waffling on Manziel. It's not the mobile QB thing, it's that so much of what he does is scrambling away from pressure and picking up huge chunks through the air on what are essentially broken plays. That has worked in the NFL (Roethlisberger), but Manziel is like 6' 210. I don't think he'll be able to do that at the next level. I see bigger, stronger, fast athletes bringing him down and potentially injuring him if he tries to do that backyard football stuff all day. But maybe I'm wrong. I admittedly can't stand the kid so it's hard for me to honestly know if I'm being fair about it.

Mettenberger has taken a huge jump this season. I love his arm and I see potential to continue getting better. The best offenses still operate from the pocket, and that's where he wins. I realize that he's coming off a bad game, but I'm not going to let that one bad game totally color my perception after he started the season so well. His receivers are very good (esp Landry) but he deserves credit for very nice ball placement and timing.

Evans (the #13 you were talking about) is a stud. He's at 12 on my list if you didn't know/catch that. He's great at coming back to the ball and he wins at the catch point regardless of whether or not it's contested. He's also got a great feel for the 9 route and can negotiate the sideline very well. He's a long strider and isn't very sudden, so separation will be an issue, but he has the physicality to overcome that. His routes are atrocious, however. Very much like Vincent Jackson coming out of Northern Colorado.

I love Gurley too, but he's not draft eligible so he wouldn't have made this list even if he was healthy. And I don't like Murray at all. He's basically Matt Barkley IMO. Career backup in the NFL. Sub-par arm talent and not a very good athlete.

I'm kind of different from you-- I love watching big uglies. Offensive line and pass rushers especially. The reason being that I can look at them and tell whether or not they're winning based on whether or not that beat the man in front of them. Whereas with a running back, it's always a question of "is he doing that or is his blocking just amazing?" Linemen success is independent of what the skill positions are doing.

EDIT: I'm stupid and didn't see Roby further down the list. By "what the heck is wrong with him", do you mean his actual playing or his attitude/personality?

EDIT2: Is Hageman starting to look more like a 1st round pick, or might he slip into the 2nd or even 3rd round?

EDIT3: I'm seeing some early mock drafts with the Vikings taking Anthony Barr early on and then a player like McCarron in the 2nd round. I've never been high on McCarron, but IF that did pan out, would both the Vikings' offense and defense be tremendously improved?

Robey has played like crap so far this year. All the ability in the world, so I don't get his issue. Defensive backs are the hardest positions to watch w/out coaches tape, because they're off-camera about 80% of the time. So I have no idea what Robey's problem is.

Hageman looks like a late first rounder to me at the moment, but he'll go higher if he continues to improve. From what I've caught, he's progressing as the season rolls along.

I like McCarron. He's certainly better than Ponder was coming out IMO. He throws a nice deep ball... that's something that I don't see many taking note of. Barr would be an interesting choice for the Vikings. If they stuck 4-3, they could use him the same way that the Broncos use Von Miller. Would still be leave big voids at the DE spots (I believe Allen, Robison, and Griffen are all FA's after this year), but he would certainly improve the defense.

I am waffling on Manziel. It's not the mobile QB thing, it's that so much of what he does is scrambling away from pressure and picking up huge chunks through the air on what are essentially broken plays. That has worked in the NFL (Roethlisberger), but Manziel is like 6' 210. I don't think he'll be able to do that at the next level. I see bigger, stronger, fast athletes bringing him down and potentially injuring him if he tries to do that backyard football stuff all day. But maybe I'm wrong. I admittedly can't stand the kid so it's hard for me to honestly know if I'm being fair about it.

Mettenberger has taken a huge jump this season. I love his arm and I see potential to continue getting better. The best offenses still operate from the pocket, and that's where he wins. I realize that he's coming off a bad game, but I'm not going to let that one bad game totally color my perception after he started the season so well. His receivers are very good (esp Landry) but he deserves credit for very nice ball placement and timing.

Evans (the #13 you were talking about) is a stud. He's at 12 on my list if you didn't know/catch that. He's great at coming back to the ball and he wins at the catch point regardless of whether or not it's contested. He's also got a great feel for the 9 route and can negotiate the sideline very well. He's a long strider and isn't very sudden, so separation will be an issue, but he has the physicality to overcome that. His routes are atrocious, however. Very much like Vincent Jackson coming out of Northern Colorado.

I love Gurley too, but he's not draft eligible so he wouldn't have made this list even if he was healthy. And I don't like Murray at all. He's basically Matt Barkley IMO. Career backup in the NFL. Sub-par arm talent and not a very good athlete.

I'm kind of different from you-- I love watching big uglies. Offensive line and pass rushers especially. The reason being that I can look at them and tell whether or not they're winning based on whether or not that beat the man in front of them. Whereas with a running back, it's always a question of "is he doing that or is his blocking just amazing?" Linemen success is independent of what the skill positions are doing.

Yeah, I pretty much see the same thing with Evans—yeah, I noticed he was on your list, but I figured just calling him 13 would drive home the point about my trouble remembering names lol. One of the announcers during the game on Saturday likened him to David Boston. I think that's a pretty legit comparison. Boston could have been a really good player for a long time had he have focused on catching passes a little more than body building, err, juicing, err...

I'm curious to see how Johnny does in the pros when he doesn't HAVE to run for his life on every play. Of course, he's probably gonna be drafted by a pretty bad team, so it may be more of the same just against the athletes you made mention of. Still, he does seem to operate well from the pocket when he's afforded the opportunity to play in said pocket. He does get a TON of his yards from catch-and-run plays, but I'm gonna try to not hold that so strongly against him. I'm learning from my Rivers hate. As a special little side note just for you, I'm possibly willing to admit that he's a talented player, MAAAYYYbe.

I saw Mexiburger's bad game less like a hiccup in a vacuum and a little more of an extension of his past rearing it's ugly head. It's more of a reminder of what you're gonna get from time to time—probably more often than that—if you spend a pick on this kid. I want to root for him, but I just don't see it. He was Craig Krensel bad in his NCG appearance. I know he was very young, and that was one of the best defenses we've ever seen in our lifetime in college football. Still, he couldn't complete a pass. Maybe I'm a little jaded by that. He's having a good year, but when push comes to shove, I see him falling more than pushing back.

Yeah, I pretty much see the same thing with Evans—yeah, I noticed he was on your list, but I figured just calling him 13 would drive home the point about my trouble remembering names lol. One of the announcers during the game on Saturday likened him to David Boston. I think that's a pretty legit comparison. Boston could have been a really good player for a long time had he have focused on catching passes a little more than body building, err, juicing, err...

I'm curious to see how Johnny does in the pros when he doesn't HAVE to run for his life on every play. Of course, he's probably gonna be drafted by a pretty bad team, so it may be more of the same just against the athletes you made mention of. Still, he does seem to operate well from the pocket when he's afforded the opportunity to play in said pocket. He does get a TON of his yards from catch-and-run plays, but I'm gonna try to not hold that so strongly against him. I'm learning from my Rivers hate. As a special little side note just for you, I'm possibly willing to admit that he's a talented player, MAAAYYYbe.

I saw Mexiburger's bad game less like a hiccup in a vacuum and a little more of an extension of his past rearing it's ugly head. It's more of a reminder of what you're gonna get from time to time—probably more often than that—if you spend a pick on this kid. I want to root for him, but I just don't see it. He was Craig Krensel bad in his NCG appearance. I know he was very young, and that was one of the best defenses we've ever seen in our lifetime in college football. Still, he couldn't complete a pass. Maybe I'm a little jaded by that. He's having a good year, but when push comes to shove, I see him falling more than pushing back.

I wasn't old enough when Boston was actually good to pay any quality attention. All I know about him is that he was one of the worst FA signings in SD history. For all I know, it's a brilliant comp.

Basically I'm going to cop out on Manziel. I'm not that good at "scouting" QB's anyways, and he is just too weird of a prospect for me to get too dogmatic in any one direction. So I'll stick him somewhere in the teens and :badass: .

And if you're ready to open up a warm spot in your heart for old Philip, then you can consider us even because every week I see Charles, I see him doing the things that I said he didn't do very well. He's damn good. He's not getting the blocking this year, and he's making things happen.

Sounds like you're concerned with Mett's mental toughness. Could be a valid concern, but I try not to go there. Too hard for me to make an informed conclusion. I just look at the skills, traits, and talent and make my call.

I wasn't old enough when Boston was actually good to pay any quality attention. All I know about him is that he was one of the worst FA signings in SD history. For all I know, it's a brilliant comp.

Basically I'm going to cop out on Manziel. I'm not that good at "scouting" QB's anyways, and he is just too weird of a prospect for me to get too dogmatic in any one direction. So I'll stick him somewhere in the teens and :badass: .

And if you're ready to open up a warm spot in your heart for old Philip, then you can consider us even because every week I see Charles, I see him doing the things that I said he didn't do very well. He's damn good. He's not getting the blocking this year, and he's making things happen.

Sounds like you're concerned with Mett's mental toughness. Could be a valid concern, but I try not to go there. Too hard for me to make an informed conclusion. I just look at the skills, traits, and talent and make my call.

Well I can assure you that he was one hell of a prospect. He ran like a deer, had guns like a pro wrestler, and his routes were pretty solid for the most part. He was like a Boldin before there was a Boldin, only with track star speed. The biggest issue with him was his hands. At times, they weren't so good. That was something he could have worked on, but he chose to pursue a career in cage fighting. By the time he got to SD he was done. As a Cardinal though, he was one hell of a stud.

With Meltyburger, I don't know if it's as much a question of mental toughness with me as much as dependability. I just don't trust him. I think that when he's rattled, while everyone is a little worse in those circumstances, Zach Morris is particularly bad. Basically, if he was playing against the Chiefs this season, he'd look a lot like bad Rex Grossman.

Charles is definitely the one consistency in this offense so far. He's everything I expected him to be in this offense. Reid, contrary to popular belief, uses the hell out of RB's and makes them household names. Glad you're coming around.

As for Rivers, this is gonna be tough... but... I think that my extreme dislike for the fella probably skewed my judgment a little. I'm not ready to declare him an all-time great or anything, but he's better than I've given him credit for being in the past. I've taken a different approach when viewing his game. Just because he makes what he does look easy, it doesn't mean that it is. If it was, everyone would do it.

Well I can assure you that he was one hell of a prospect. He ran like a deer, had guns like a pro wrestler, and his routes were pretty solid for the most part. He was like a Boldin before there was a Boldin, only with track star speed. The biggest issue with him was his hands. At times, they weren't so good. That was something he could have worked on, but he chose to pursue a career in cage fighting. By the time he got to SD he was done. As a Cardinal though, he was one hell of a stud.

With Meltyburger, I don't know if it's as much a question of mental toughness with me as much as dependability. I just don't trust him. I think that when he's rattled, while everyone is a little worse in those circumstances, Zach Morris is particularly bad. Basically, if he was playing against the Chiefs this season, he'd look a lot like bad Rex Grossman.

Charles is definitely the one consistency in this offense so far. He's everything I expected him to be in this offense. Reid, contrary to popular belief, uses the hell out of RB's and makes them household names. Glad you're coming around.

As for Rivers, this is gonna be tough... but... I think that my extreme dislike for the fella probably skewed my judgment a little. I'm not ready to declare him an all-time great or anything, but he's better than I've given him credit for being in the past. I've taken a different approach when viewing his game. Just because he makes what he does look easy, it doesn't mean that it is. If it was, everyone would do it.

You remember when you were in elementary school, how there would always be that one kid that got in trouble for the things that everyone else got away with? He wasn't any worse that your average misbehaving little shit, but he didn't have the savvy to keep himself from getting caught? That's Rivers. He's very intelligent, but on the field he's the big, bumbling kid that never really considers his surroundings before he acts or speaks. So he doesn't say or do anything that's really noteworthy compared to other players, he just does it in such a way that everyone sees it.

Back in 2007 when the narrative about him being a giant D-Bag started, he was jawing at the Broncos all game and Cutler was jawing at the Chargers. But Cutler was smart enough to do it on the field before and after plays... not from across the field between plays when the cameras have nothing to focus on except the handful of players that they find doing something halfway interesting on the sideline. And so it began. From then on it was: "Jawing at the refs? D-Bag"; "Yelling at the opponents? Tool."; "Him and Norv going at it? Whiner." and on and on and on. And all he was doing was exactly what a lot of talkative NFL players do.

The media fed the narrative because it was compelling and polarizing and made for good TV. You notice they rarely actually let you hear what he's saying... he never cusses or says anything vulgar at all, but if you can't hear it then you can assume. And I don't blame people for buying the perception that the media fed them. What reason do they have not to? And when you hate a player like that, you'll find ways to discount success and you'll highlight failure. We all do it. I just wish the media would let it go already. During the 4th quarter of that Chargers/Jags game, they replayed the clips of him yelling at Cutler. THAT WAS SIX YEARS AGO!!!

From being a fan and listening to him on the radio all the time, I know he's all about faith and family. He flat refuses to say anything bad about anyone off the field. Not his crappy offensive linemen through the years, his terrible coaches... even Jared Gaither. He just won't throw anyone but himself under the bus and won't complain about anything. But that's not the Rivers that most of the U.S. knows.

You remember when you were in elementary school, how there would always be that one kid that got in trouble for the things that everyone else got away with? He wasn't any worse that your average misbehaving little shit, but he didn't have the savvy to keep himself from getting caught? That's Rivers. He's very intelligent, but on the field he's the big, bumbling kid that never really considers his surroundings before he acts or speaks. So he doesn't say or do anything that's really noteworthy compared to other players, he just does it in such a way that everyone sees it.

Back in 2007 when the narrative about him being a giant D-Bag started, he was jawing at the Broncos all game and Cutler was jawing at the Chargers. But Cutler was smart enough to do it on the field before and after plays... not from across the field between plays when the cameras have nothing to focus on except the handful of players that they find doing something halfway interesting on the sideline. And so it began. From then on it was: "Jawing at the refs? D-Bag"; "Yelling at the opponents? Tool."; "Him and Norv going at it? Whiner." and on and on and on. And all he was doing was exactly what a lot of talkative NFL players do.

The media fed the narrative because it was compelling and polarizing and made for good TV. You notice they rarely actually let you hear what he's saying... he never cusses or says anything vulgar at all, but if you can't hear it then you can assume. And I don't blame people for buying the perception that the media fed them. What reason do they have not to? And when you hate a player like that, you'll find ways to discount success and you'll highlight failure. We all do it. I just wish the media would let it go already. During the 4th quarter of that Chargers/Jags game, they replayed the clips of him yelling at Cutler. THAT WAS SIX YEARS AGO!!!

From being a fan and listening to him on the radio all the time, I know he's all about faith and family. He flat refuses to say anything bad about anyone off the field. Not his crappy offensive linemen through the years, his terrible coaches... even Jared Gaither. He just won't throw anyone but himself under the bus and won't complain about anything. But that's not the Rivers that most of the U.S. knows.

He had a quote before the Colts game the other night that really stuck with me. It was something along the lines of, "If you told me when I was ten years old that I'd be playing quarterback on Monday night football tonight, I would have thought that was pretty awesome." I believe it was in the context of his team never making it to the Super Bowl or how Norv and him might have under achieved. Kinda led me to believe much of what you said about him in the last post. I thought that was a very real, very cool way to look at his career. If I were in his shoes, I might feel the same way when it's all said and done.

That's all I can really ask for. That people would have an open enough mind to change it if they happen to catch of a minute or two of the real Rivers.

I like McCarron. He's certainly better than Ponder was coming out IMO. He throws a nice deep ball... that's something that I don't see many taking note of. Barr would be an interesting choice for the Vikings. If they stuck 4-3, they could use him the same way that the Broncos use Von Miller. Would still be leave big voids at the DE spots (I believe Allen, Robison, and Griffen are all FA's after this year), but he would certainly improve the defense.

We already extended Brian Robison, and we're in negotiations with Everson Griffen. Maybe the Vikings don't need Taj Boyd...

We already extended Brian Robison, and we're in negotiations with Everson Griffen. Maybe the Vikings don't need Taj Boyd...

The Vikes just need to let the draft come to them. QB will probably be the most pressing need, but they might miss out on the ones worthy of a top 5

pick if they're not in the top 3. If the blue chip QB's are off the board, take talent at another position and wait for the next round. The worst thing they could do is reach for a 2nd round talent like they did with Ponder.

Kemp, I'm so glad you have Zach MetteNFLberger over Johnny College Football.

• Upvote 1