Sign in to follow this  
seanbrock

hypothetical situation

Jerry Jones just made YOU the GM. Just my luck, the Houston Texans called and they're willing to sell their soul for Tony Romo. They're a QB away from being right there with Peyton in the AFC. They offer their first round in 2014 and 2015 for Romo.

If it's me I pull the trigger. I put everyone on the block but Bryant, Tyron Smith, George Selvie and Sean Lee. I think teams would give a mid round pick for Ware, hell in the off season you might be able to get a pick for Spencer. I think you could get like a 2nd or 3rd for Jason Witten.

I think then you put yourself in position to start from scratch with a new coach and coaching staff which I would also do. You give your new coach, whoever that may be a ton of picks in a loaded draft class in 2014 and an extra first in 2015.

What would you do?

Jerry Jones just made YOU the GM. Just my luck, the Houston Texans called and they're willing to sell their soul for Tony Romo. They're a QB away from being right there with Peyton in the AFC. They offer their first round in 2014 and 2015 for Romo.

If it's me I pull the trigger. I put everyone on the block but Bryant, Tyron Smith, George Selvie and Sean Lee. I think teams would give a mid round pick for Ware, hell in the off season you might be able to get a pick for Spencer. I think you could get like a 2nd or 3rd for Jason Witten.

I think then you put yourself in position to start from scratch with a new coach and coaching staff which I would also do. You give your new coach, whoever that may be a ton of picks in a loaded draft class in 2014 and an extra first in 2015.

What would you do?

First things first, I accidentally hit report instead of quote, but I hit back immediately so I don't think it went through. If you find out it did, my bad.

Anyway, I don't pull the trigger on Romo because franchise, top 7 QBs aren't a dime a dozen, and most teams go through a laundry list of middle of the roaders to flat out don't have its until they find their next franchise guy. I would start drafting QBs immediately, though. One per year, if possible. Build up 2-3 guys and evaluate them

However, I do put Miles, Ware, Ratliff, Witten, Orton, Murray, and Scandrick on the market, immediately. Ware's not the same player, at this point in his career, and the best thing for this team might be to move forward after next year's draft, where they hopefully take a pass rusher fairly high and add some DL depth in the later rounds. Ratliff might snag a couple of later round picks, but he's clearly not the same player, either. Jason Witten would entice a contender missing the TE spot, and it'd be nice of the Cowboys franchise to give him a chance at a ring after fucking him over for so many years by not putting the best team around him. Though he's older, he's still an excellent all around player. I'd throw Murray out there, but because he's a special talent, I don't pull the trigger unless someone offers me something out desperation, and it's too good pass up. When it comes to corners, teams are always in need of DBs, and Scandrick's only gotten better throughout his career. Someone would definitely make a nice offer for him.

Bruce Lee, Selvie, Smith, Carr, Claiborne, Church, Wilcox, Smith, Frederick, Dez, and Escobar are all untouchable, imo.

Also, I only turn the Romo deal down because it's not likely that team offers two first round picks for a 33-34 year old guy.

Also, I only turn the Romo deal down because it's not likely that team offers two first round picks for a 33-34 year old guy.

Romo is so much better than Schaub. If they thought he could win them 1 Super Bowl this year i think you never know. Teams are always willing to pay big for talent at the QB position. Andre Johnson has never played with somebody who can stretch the field as much as he can. It'd be interesting and if Tony didn't pull it off there it isn't ever going to happen. That and some franchises are dumb in desperate times.

Romo is so much better than Schaub. If they thought he could win them 1 Super Bowl this year i think you never know. Teams are always willing to pay big for talent at the QB position. Andre Johnson has never played with somebody who can stretch the field as much as he can. It'd be interesting and if Tony didn't pull it off there it isn't ever going to happen. That and some franchises are dumb in desperate times.

This is true. With 2 FR picks for two straight years, lets say Dallas takes two QBs and lets them fight it out, but why not trade Witten to Houston, too, in that scenario? Can you imagine Romo/Andre/Witten/Hopkins? Goddamn.

I also think that being in a different system would revolutionize Tony's career.

If I might ask, sean, why do you have Bruce Carter and Brandon Carr as disposable? Bruce is struggling right now, yeah, but that's 5 games. He was even better in the middle than Lee was last year. I want Dallas to move him back and let Lee roam around the strong side. And even though Dallas has allowed 14 passing TDs, Brandon Carr has been silently spectacular, imo. Teams barely threw at him before Peyton, and he was least attacked by Peyton next to Scandrick.

Edited by BwareDWare94

Carter got benched this year and has spent a lot of time sitting out games with injuries. Brandon Carr because he's got a big contract, he's getting a little older. idk maybe you keep him around to be a leader in the regime. If I get offered a 2nd for Carr I probably pull the trigger.

This is true. With 2 FR picks for two straight years, lets say Dallas takes two QBs and lets them fight it out, but why not trade Witten to Houston, too, in that scenario? Can you imagine Romo/Andre/Witten/Hopkins? Goddamn.

I also think that being in a different system would revolutionize Tony's career.

You can also trade back with those future firsts and stock pile 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks. If you get the right coach and GM in town with a strong draft class to start building with this year and still a couple talented players left on the roster most likely. Pretty much a guarantee for a 3 year success plan. Provided of course you hire the right people.

Guest Phailadelphia

Two 1st-rd picks for an aging, underachieving QB? I wouldn't be able to sign that trade through fast enough.

• Upvote 1

Stop trying to be Jayrus, Sean.

• Upvote 1

Stop trying to be Jayrus, Sean.

Trying to bait me into the thread are you? Challenge accepted.

Two first rounders would be extremely tempting for Romo. Enough to at least seriously consider the proposal. However the idea of being left with Kyle Orton to lead my team would probably be enough to stay my hand on that deal. If Dallas had a legitimate successor on the bench being groomed to take over for Romo in a few years then I might pull the trigger. As things stand though, with no viable alternative and not likely being able to get high enough in the draft to grab a future starter at QB, I'd probably have to say no.

Despite Dallas' struggles they have talent at alot of positions already. What they really need is an overhaul along the offensive and defensive lines. I mean legitimate attention and not this bargain basement flea-market rebuilding "look I brought in a guard someone else cut and overpaid him. He'll be great now right?" shit Jones has been doing. Yeah the secondary needs help too, but you'd be surprised how much strong line play can help out a sub par secondary.

Next order of business is sorting out the coaching situation. Jason Garrett would be out. Immediately. Bill Callahan would be acting head coach while I ran interviews. I'd prefer a successful college coach looking to move to the pros.Though if I ultimately can't find anything I'd be down giving Callahan the big chair for at least a year to see how he does. My guess is better than a backup QB with no actual coaching experience who got fast tracked to a position he doesn't deserve.

Then it would be necessary to start trading some of the aging overpaid under-performing dudes. Ware chief among them. He's old, hurt, and not doing shit. He needs to go while he's still got trade value left. Same with Miles Austin and his hamstring made of taffy. This team has more than enough offensive firepower. He is moot and should be traded for whatever can be gotten for him. Witten it would depend what I was offered. He's older but still a hell of a talent. Ditto Murray. I'd also try to shop Orton and his retardedly huge backup QB contract elsewhere. I don't care how good of a backup you are, you're still a backup. They're a dime a dozen, and one can be easily had for far cheaper.

Hopefully I would get a good number of draft picks out of this that would then be used to aquire talent for my above plan to revamp the offensive and defensive lines, and maybe even be able to grab some guys to compete for spots in the secondary. Even if they don't start right away this team is in serious need of depth. At the very least it would restore a sense of competition to this roster.

The old addage of "Cowboy for life" has been corrupted to a sense of entitlement. That once you make the roster you're on the team for life. Your job is safe no matter how bad you play. There were rookies this year out partying and telling everyone they were Cowboys before they'd even actually made the final team. Alot of them didn't. THAT above all is what I would want to change. This notion of pandering to bad players and keep giving them chances because they're part of the Cowboys "family" even if they're giving nothing back to that. It makes me sick and I'm not even a Cowboy fan. If the Seahawks did things that way I'd be pissed. It's my opinion that players who are playing to keep their job tend to play alot harder. Maybe that's just me.

Anyway, that would be my plan for the Cowboys. Let the flaming begin.

Edited by Jayrus

Jason Garrett didn't deserve a shot as a head coach? Nevermind the fact that several teams wanted him before Jerry overpaid him as a coordinator.

Jerry forcing Jason's hand into firing Rob Ryan is the biggest mistake that's been made in recent.years. Here, why don't we ditch the guy who basically performed miracles with the scout team defense and hire an aging moron who can't call a decent game. At least Rob Ryan schemed. At least Rob Ryan got the most out of his players.

If I were the GM, I would stay the course for this season but explore new coaching options in the offseason if Garrett falls short/doesn't improve. Roster wise, I think the Cowboys are very close to being good enough to win. Coaching is the issue.

I don't make that deal.

The Cowboys are unfortunately for their fans, in win now mode. The contract/salary cap situation they currently have is poisonous for a rebuild. They are kind of where the Seahawks were in 1998 under Dennis Erickson. When Holmgren came over, he had to eat a ton of dead money getting rid of average to above average talent. The only marketable trade bait he had was Galloway (thanks for the picks by the way).

Dallas is in the exact same boat. They, like we were, are a middling 7-9 to 9-7 club with contracts that make it impossible to move players and impossible to add players. They do however have a very weak division and should probably stand pat at this point instead of rebuild. They have talented guys, and a good chance of winning their division. Honestly, I can see them make a bit of a run in the postseason too if fortune smiles on them.

The alternative to doing a rebuild is just not an option. Jones is pretty much a crappy GM who doesn't make good draft day deals, and doesn't draft particularly well deep into the draft. So trading for more picks is kind of a waste of time since he'll just trade up again and end up with just one or two players out of his draft class. To rebuild quickly, you have to have 6-8 of your draftees make solid contributions to your club over a period of a few years. Jones will never have that ability except when blind luck intervenes.

For Dallas, their time is now. They aren't structured in a flexible manner to tear down and start over. They are bound to going forward with what they have for the next 2 to 3 seasons.

Jason Garrett didn't deserve a shot as a head coach? Nevermind the fact that several teams wanted him before Jerry overpaid him as a coordinator.

Jerry forcing Jason's hand into firing Rob Ryan is the biggest mistake that's been made in recent.years. Here, why don't we ditch the guy who basically performed miracles with the scout team defense and hire an aging moron who can't call a decent game. At least Rob Ryan schemed. At least Rob Ryan got the most out of his players.

I agree that firing Rob Ryan was stupid, but that was Jerry's call. Garrett had nothing to do with it. That's one of my problems with him. A head coach should have the strength of character to stand up to his GM for the good of the team. Garrett doesn't have that. He may have some offensive knowhow but he's nothing more than a yes-man Jerry installed to do whatever he tells him because no real coach would. No real coach would stand for aving all their authority being taken away either. If Garrett is okay with being told he doesn't deserve to personally run any part of this team, or even be allowed to call plays, I don't want him as my coach. Maybe he'll do better elsewhere, but the Jason Garrett experiment in Dallas has been an abject failure.

Honestly though, we may just have a difference of opinion on this. We were asked what we'd do as GM. I wouldn't keep Garrett. Obviously you would. I'd just prefer to start over with someone who actually has a set of balls. Obviously Jerry ripped off Garrett's long ago.