Sign in to follow this  
Vin

Chiefs @ Broncos

http://hosted.stats.com/fb/preview.asp?g=20131117007&home=7&vis=12

(AP) -- Despite a sore right ankle, Peyton Manning is expected to play in the Denver Broncos' showdown with unbeaten Kansas City. So is beleaguered Chiefs wide receiver Dwayne Bowe.

Bowe was arrested this past weekend but is slated to start as Kansas City tries to remain the NFL's only perfect team after Sunday night's visit to Denver.

An MRI on Monday showed no additional damage to Manning's ankle, but he only participated in walkthroughs Wednesday.

"It's certainly my preference to be out (at practice), but I'm trying to do what's best for the team in order for me to get healthy," Manning said.

The Broncos star has been dealing with a sore ankle since taking hits to that area in back-to-back games last month. He took another one in a 28-20 win in San Diego this past Sunday, but interim coach Jack Del Rio said the veteran remains on track to start.

Manning will face a defense that has a league-best 36 sacks, with Justin Houston and Tamba Hali combining for 20. Denver has given up the second-fewest in the league (13), but eight have come in the last three games. The biggest concern has been at left tackle, where Chris Clark has been inconsistent since Ryan Clady was lost for the season with a foot injury.

"(Manning) will definitely play this week so that's good news," said Del Rio, who is leading the team while John Fox recovers from heart surgery. "We're definitely on high alert in wanting to protect our quarterback. We didn't do it as well as we could (against San Diego), and we have an even greater challenge this week in the team that's sacked quarterbacks more than anyone in this league."

With four touchdowns and 330 yards against San Diego, Manning remains on pace NFL single-season records in both categories. While trying to stay on target to break those marks, he'll seek to get Denver (8-1) a share of first place in the AFC West and spoil Kansas City's attempt at a franchise-best start.

The Chiefs (9-0) enjoyed their bye week but didn't emerge unscathed as Bowe's arrest Sunday could serve as a lingering distraction.

The Pro Bowl wide receiver was pulled over for speeding in Riverside, Mo., and also charged with possession of marijuana. Bowe posted $750 bond and is set to appear in court Dec. 18.

Instead of talking to reporters earlier this week, Bowe chose to apologize through a statement. The Chiefs cannot discipline one of their all-time leading wide receivers for violating the league's substance-abuse policy, and he likely won't face penalties until after his court date. There's a chance, however, that commissioner Roger Goodell could potentially hand down a one-game suspension or a fine.

'"There are rules and regulations put in place and we'll abide by the rules and regulations, and we'll make sure we take all of the information that comes out as it goes through the process," coach Andy Reid said. "That's where we're going with it."

"I addressed him, had that opportunity to talk to him, and I'll leave it at that. There are laws, rules and regulations, and I'll leave it at that."

Bowe, who signed a five-year, $56 million extension before this season, is currently on pace for one of the worst seasons in his career. His 33 receptions are second on the team behind running back Jamaal Charles' 47, and he's third in receiving yards with 369.

Bowe, however, has a combined 19 catches for 279 yards in his last two visits to Denver. He missed last season's trip due to broken ribs but enters this one after registering season highs of seven receptions and 67 yards in a 23-13 win in Buffalo on Nov. 3.

The Chiefs used defensive touchdowns from Hali and Sean Smith to match their 9-0 start from 2003 and offset a season-low 210 yards from their offense.

Alex Smith completed 65.5 percent of his passes (19 of 29) for a season-low 124 yards, and will face the Broncos for the second time in his career. He led San Francisco to a 26-23 overtime win in Denver on Dec. 31, 2006.

Charles, the league's fifth-leading rusher at 725 yards, has enjoyed recent success against the Broncos with a combined 576 yards in the last five meetings. He had a total of 160 in last season's two games but couldn't prevent Denver's first season sweep since 2007.

Manning threw for 589 yards and five touchdowns with just one interception in those two wins. His three TD passes started a streak of 31 unanswered points in a 38-3 home rout Dec. 30, and his 30-yard toss to Demaryius Thomas in the third quarter Nov. 25 put the Broncos ahead for good in a 17-9 win in Kansas City.

Reid's teams, though, have been historically successful returning from byes. While in Philadelphia, he won 13 straight such games until falling to then-unbeaten Atlanta last season.

The Chiefs and Broncos will meet again in Kansas City on Dec. 1.

Can't help but feel that this game is going to disappoint. Not sure if Peyton's leg is going to fall off (though that'd make a lot of people on here happy) or what, but something's gonna happen.

:Chiefs: 19

:Broncos: 26

Figure KC's defense will give Peyton fits. But Peyton will sneak some drives in on the times he doesn't get sacked like crazy. On the flip side, KC's offense can't muster enough to keep up.

Can't wait for this game. Personally, I think the Chiefs are pretty overrated, and actually don't believe their defense is that much better than Denver's, if at all. And that's not all homer talk. The last three games:

Chiefs have faced powerhouse QBs the likes of Jeff Teul, Case Keenum, and Jason Cambell.

They have allowed 1104 yards and 52 first downs while producing 6 sacks and 5 turnovers

In the last 3 the broncos have played Luck, RG3, and Rivers

They've allowed 929 yards and 50 first downs and produced 9 sacks and 6 turnovers.

I'm not going to say it'll be a blowout. The game could be very telling for both teams.

:Broncos: 30

:Chiefs: 13

This is the NFL. Funnier things have happened and can still happen at any time. I will go with the team whose defense has held the opposition to 17 or less points in all their games while the offense was "sufficient" enough to outscore them. What numbers don't show is that the Chiefs defense still runs at the same speed in the last quarter as it does in the first quarter.

• Upvote 1

This game doesn't have a cut and dry winner. However in games with great offenses vs. great defenses, it comes down to the weaknesses of the team to make the difference. Ours has improved with both Von Miller and Wesley Woodyard coming back, while the Chiefs have been struggling to score offensively as of late. I have to believe the Broncos have the edge talent wise, but the Chiefs have had an extra week to prepare for us.

I'll homer it up, but I'm not at all confident.

:Broncos: 27

:Chiefs: 20

What's the temp gonna be at Mile High at 8pm? If it's below freezing, the Broncos are going to get their shit knocked in. Hell, they probably will anyway. Easily the most overrated team in the league.

It says the low is gonna be -3 Celsius. High is +12 though. <_>

Peyton's career in sub-32 degree weather.

198/332 (59.6%) / 1,998 yards (6.01 YPA) / 9 TD / 12 INT in 8 games with a record of 2 - 6.

Granted, most of those happen on the road being that he obviously had the dome in Indy for a long time. Take it for what it's worth though. A possible statline.

27-45 / 265 / 1 / 2

This game will end in a 13-13 tie, and Trident will rage about how ties are Communist. :troll:

Edited by BigBen07
  • Upvote 1

A younger, healthy Manning had always had trouble in cold environments. Now he's 57 years old and playing with two bad ankles. If the -3 Celsius is the weather that we see, look out Denver. If it's not that cold, I still have the Chiefs winning the game. I just don't think it'll be done as comfortably. The defense is nasty at every level. Alex Smith is better than people are giving him credit for—he's not great, but he's not Matt Cassel either.

Truthfully, I just want to see a good game. I obviously want to see the Chiefs win, and I actually believe that they will. Being an 8 point dog is insulting, so look out for them to come in with even more intensity than usual. Just an fyi, they're always intense.

It's one thing to be overrated, and another to be overrated and be on pace to break the NFL scoring record by 100 points. :smug:

Eh, the Ravens playoff game last year was colder, and he was fine in that.

Compared to last year, it was just OK... If the Broncos paid Peyton to be OK in the playoffs, they should really re-asses. Compared to what he has done so far this year? 5% completion less, 2+ YPA lower, and goes from throwing an INT for every 5 TD passes to close to throwing as many TDs as INTs. Oh, and his team lost by 3.

Imagine if the Broncos have a better QB who doesn't love turning the ball over in big moments.. They win that game.

we only threw the ball something like 6 times in the last 20 minutes (clock time) of the game. One of them the duck in OT that got picked. He was struggling a bit imo.

Edited by theMileHighGuy

Eh, the Ravens playoff game last year was colder, and he was fine in that.

Didn't he throw like three picks in that game?

And if the Broncos had competent safety play instead of a dude out there trying to be a hero, they win that game.

He threw two picks: one in regulation, one in OT. 28/43, 290 yards, 3 TD, 2 INT

Julius Thomas (ankle) is active for Sunday night's Week 11 game against the Chiefs.

Thomas practiced in full this week and his status was never in doubt. Peyton Manning (ankle) is also active, as expected.
Inactive for the Broncos are CB Champ Bailey, RB Ronnie Hillman, CB Tony Carter, QB Zac Dysert, LB Nate Irving, RB Chris Kuper and C J.D. Walton.

Dexter McCluster (ankle) is active for Week 11 against the Broncos.

McCluster suffered an ankle injury in Week 9 and was limited in practice Wednesday, but will be available for his usual role. Donnie Avery (shoulder) and Anthony Fasano (knee/ankle) are also active and will start.
The Chiefs inactives are QB Tyler Bray, CB Dunta Robinson, LB Nico Johnson, OL Rokevious Watkins, DT Rishaw Johnson, C Eric Kush, and NT Jaye Howard.

Peyton Manning's short-comings put them in that position.