Sign in to follow this  
RANGA

Jaden Smith, Our Generation's Great Philosopher?

vO7kFWB.png

Screen-Shot-2013-11-12-at-11.44.51-AM.pn

Screen-Shot-2013-11-12-at-11.44.48-AM.pn

Screen-Shot-2013-11-12-at-11.43.39-AM.pn

tumblr_mvw547fNhs1rnw6tto1_500.jpg

how-can-mirrors-be-real-if-our-eyes-aren

pEhnlWh.jpg

I don't even...

Anybody know if the apple stat is true? Sounds like a made up one.

And Jaden is onto something in that our approach to education is very outdated, but everybody dropping out would probably only help 2% of the population. The rest would just sit around on their smartphones all day.

Anybody know if the apple stat is true? Sounds like a made up one.

And Jaden is onto something in that our approach to education is very outdated, but everybody dropping out would probably only help 2% of the population. The rest would just sit around on their smartphones all day.

It's not really outdated. It's very...German, in that it comes from the Prussians. Our education system is designed to produce a population that is respectful to authority figures and follows the rules. It's part of the reason why we have so many people in jail and we have have so many juveniles in jail. In fact the Nazi's and American's were very similar in many ways. It's no coincidence that so many large American corporation's supported the Nazi's financially. It's not because they all hated Jews either lol.

It's much easier to control people by molding their minds at a young age than it is to physically make people comply.

When I said "outdated," I didn't mean in terms of respect/authority, I meant strictly in terms of academics. As someone who works as a public school teacher, I have strong feelings on the subject, so excuse me while I rant.

The dynamic of the classroom is a classical one, but not the most efficient way to teach. Even the best teachers in the world can only find a teaching pace that reaches the majority of their students. There are always students at both extremes: the advanced kids who are beyond the class' pace and skill level, and the kids who really struggle and need both additional help and a slower pace. Classroom learning groups kids together, which can work for the majority (not always, though), but the most efficient way to teach is one-on-one. Even reducing classroom sizes to 10-12 would be a giant step forward, though it would require resources public education simply does not have. And to teach every student in America one-on-one requires that and then a whole lot more technology that we don't have, but we're getting there.

I could go on, but there's a very cool YouTube video that sums up many of my thoughts. The guy narrating is a physics teacher living in London whose educational videos are awesome.

• Upvote 2

When I said "outdated," I didn't mean in terms of respect/authority, I meant strictly in terms of academics. As someone who works as a public school teacher, I have strong feelings on the subject, so excuse me while I rant.

The dynamic of the classroom is a classical one, but not the most efficient way to teach. Even the best teachers in the world can only find a teaching pace that reaches the majority of their students. There are always students at both extremes: the advanced kids who are beyond the class' pace and skill level, and the kids who really struggle and need both additional help and a slower pace. Classroom learning groups kids together, which can work for the majority (not always, though), but the most efficient way to teach is one-on-one. Even reducing classroom sizes to 10-12 would be a giant step forward, though it would require resources public education simply does not have. And to teach every student in America one-on-one requires that and then a whole lot more technology that we don't have, but we're getting there.

I could go on, but there's a very cool YouTube video that sums up many of my thoughts. The guy narrating is a physics teacher living in London whose educational videos are awesome.

lol yeah, lets spend trillions of dollars on making bombs to kill children instead. Lets face it. Unfortunately our government doesn't give a fuck about educating children. They just care about making money for themselves and the people they owe money to.

Edited by seanbrock