Sign in to follow this  
BwareDWare94

Girlfriendzoning

In order to understand the basis for this discussion, read this short article:

http://jezebel.com/dudes-stop-putting-women-in-the-girlfriendzone-1508177054

OK, so first things first, I wanted to ask everybody what they think of this supposed term "girlfriendzoning" invented by "women" on reddit.

I think it's appropriate, but I don't think the friendzone is always a place that means "she won't fuck me." I think that the friendzone is just as applicable to men who aren't out there lusting but are just interested in a girl. Yes, they're interested in dating her, and eventually if they dated they'd probably sleep together, but from the perspective of "wow, this girl is cool--I should play my cards and see what happens," why should this term "girlfriendzoning" apply if they think that friendzone means nothing more than she won't fuck you?

It is incredibly frustrating when you end up in the friendzone. We've all been there. It's not so much that the girl isn't going to fuck you, it's the "you're no better than this, we can't get closer" feeling that comes from being relegated to the position of "guy she talks to." Yeah, she might cry in front of you. She might tell you some of her secrets, but most of the time she just uses you when she needs you because you're conveniently there. You go through a cycle. It's like her time of the month for bawling her eyes out coincides with your convenient presence. It's honestly the most insulting thing a woman can do to a man. It defines being used, and if any of you are in this situation where she doesn't even remember you exist unless she needs you, I suggest you find the nearest door and bolt.

Before I go further, I want to point out that I hear plenty of women use the term "friendzone" in reference to men who do the same things to them. I'm merely discussing it in a gender specific way because of the term "girlfriendzoning."

And here's the kicker about being "conveniently there." You'll get a sad text every few weeks and you'll get to play Dr. Phil to a girl who just knows she can trust you, situationally, but otherwise doesn't need you. And yet, the funny part of this whole discussion is that there are plenty of decent women out there who actually want to be friends, and who will treat you like a human being and not a personal shoulder to soak with melodramatic tears.

While I think the term is appropriate in a situational sense, I think most of us men know the difference between being interested in a woman and being turned down versus just wanting to get laid. Most men who just want to get laid don't worry about rejection. They go find somebody else.

In other words, I think this term is actually kind of offensive. Oh, so us men can't honestly be interested in a woman and then be offended by being placed in the friendzone? Right.

Anyway, that's my two cents. What do the rest of you think?

Who's fault is it if a guy is hanging around to be that shoulder to cry on if he's not extracting any enjoyment from the friendship? That people accept that kind of treatment blows my mind. Just leave!

And on this topic...dudes got no right to get mad when they're put in the "friend zone." If you just want to fuck her and have no desire to simply be friends, then cut the cord as soon as you're turned down. Hanging on to that friendship for no reason other than "well one day she might want to put her mouth on my balls!" reeks of desperation and she can smell it from a mile away.

And really, most friend zoned complaints come from self-proclaimed "nice guys." You are not entitled to sex because you're a nice dude, and that's (IMO) one of the biggest asshole-type lines of thinking out there. If a girl isn't attracted to you like that then move on. This whole concept of the "friend zone" is just silly to me. I don't get it.

Did you read what I said? The term applies in the scenarios you just laid out. I was pointing out that a lot of the time men are legitimately interested and the friendzone sucks.

And a point I forgot to mention--women are terrible at communicating that they aren't interested. They want to drop hints and all that bullshit. Men aren't fluent in smoke signals.

Edited by BwareDWare94

I dunno, I think with a lot of girls it's easier to tell if they are NOT interested than if they are. If you try to hang out with a girl and there's always some excuse for her to not show up, then it's probably a solid indication that she's not interested. It's pretty straightforward IMO. Ask a girl to hang out, if she says she already has plans or is busy the first time, fine. If you try again another time and it's another no, then it's time to cut the cord on her and talk to someone else.

I dunno, I think with a lot of girls it's easier to tell if they are NOT interested than if they are. If you try to hang out with a girl and there's always some excuse for her to not show up, then it's probably a solid indication that she's not interested. It's pretty straightforward IMO. Ask a girl to hang out, if she says she already has plans or is busy the first time, fine. If you try again another time and it's another no, then it's time to cut the cord on her and talk to someone else.

Well that's pretty obvious.

Then why did you say women don't communicate very well when they're not interested? I think most of them do it pretty well. It's just when they either like you and don't want you to know yet or they're not sure how they feel about you yet that it gets tricky.

Guest Phailadelphia

Who's fault is it if a guy is hanging around to be that shoulder to cry on if he's not extracting any enjoyment from the friendship? That people accept that kind of treatment blows my mind. Just leave!

And on this topic...dudes got no right to get mad when they're put in the "friend zone." If you just want to fuck her and have no desire to simply be friends, then cut the cord as soon as you're turned down. Hanging on to that friendship for no reason other than "well one day she might want to put her mouth on my balls!" reeks of desperation and she can smell it from a mile away.

And really, most friend zoned complaints come from self-proclaimed "nice guys." You are not entitled to sex because you're a nice dude, and that's (IMO) one of the biggest asshole-type lines of thinking out there. If a girl isn't attracted to you like that then move on. This whole concept of the "friend zone" is just silly to me. I don't get it.

Did you read what I said? The term applies in the scenarios you just laid out. I was pointing out that a lot of the time men are legitimately interested and the friendzone sucks.

And a point I forgot to mention--women are terrible at communicating that they aren't interested. They want to drop hints and all that bullshit. Men aren't fluent in smoke signals.

Yeah I think I read that article and then your post and misunderstood the issue you were taking with the term. Your response is kind of confusing, but if I understand your response here

In other words, I think this term is actually kind of offensive. Oh, so us men can't honestly be interested in a woman and then be offended by being placed in the friendzone? Right.

you say the term is offensive because men have a right to be offended if they're placed in the friend zone?

The friend zone

You make some good points, but for some people that is easier said than done. I was in the friend zone a bit with a girl I really liked. Mainly because she was in a relationship and I knew I would be a bad friend to try and take her when she's with someone else. But, I built up a trust level and when she became available we started talking and we've been dating since October. It isn't all perfect since she's dealing with a lot of emotional problems (her birth mom was just given 6 months or so left to live because of cancer), but I've always liked her and I'm happy.

I do also agree that being a nice guy doesn't entitle you to much, but it gets tiring when women complain about how they are treated but pass over better people for looks. When it comes to love, you have to learn to make concessions. Just because a person is more attractive than someone else doesn't make them a better partner for you. Sure if you're just looking to get laid, it isn't important, but if you're really looking for a legit relationship you have to decide what you really want. If you just want some eye candy, it WILL fail. The sex will lose it's luster at some point and then what? Just because someone is nice to you doesn't mean you should go out with them, but don't complain about guys being assholes when you pass over people who would treat you well. Or girls too, it goes both ways. We are just having this talk more from a guy's perspective because you don't see women claim friendzone very often.

On an ending note, I consider myself a nice guy, I know I'm not the most attractive man in the world but I am a good person and I've done all I could for my girlfriend and would do the same for my friends. I know this doesn't entitle me to anything, but I do know that I will make some girl happy because I'm just a natural people pleaser with a big heart.

So ends my random babbling on this topic.

Yeah I think I read that article and then your post and misunderstood the issue you were taking with the term. Your response is kind of confusing, but if I understand your response here

you say the term is offensive because men have a right to be offended if they're placed in the friend zone?

Hmm...let me try it this way. I would be offended if a girl accused me of only wanting to fuck her (if it was a situation in which I was in the 'friendzone') and therefore indicting my character. That make sense?

A girl could just tell me she's not interested. It's so simple. Just pull the plug before confusion and communication issues can even arise.

Unfortunately I'm involved in complicated case at the current time. Like Sarge and Phail, it's easy to tell when a girl isn't interested. But when I try to cut ties cuz "whatever, it ain't happening" or something of the sort, when she comes complaining that I fucked off, it sends mixed messages and is quite annoying. This is a specific situation btw, so idk if I'm going a bit off topic... had a few margaritas tonight so I am sorry Bware if I'm hijacking your thread but it's somewhat related and hey it may provide some insight?

I got a friend who I'm genuinely interested in and I've expressed interest previously, yet she's not interested in anything serious. That's fine, that's fine... I'd consider her just a friend then.. But when I try to lower myself to "friend level" as I'd say, and ask her to hang out, go to bars or house parties (yeah I'm in college haha) it's always "No, sorry, got other plans" this isn't just a few times it's almost every time. So then, after a while I decide that whatever she just doesn't care to be friends. Fine, so I try to remove myself from the friendly relationship because I figure if she don't wanna hang out ever then she don't wanna be friends; but no, next week I get into a heated discussion of why I'm not contacting her anymore. I guess I'm just stuck right now. I don't want to hurt any feelings from anyone ever but I'm getting really mixed messages here. I feel like she just wants me to put out as a friend, but isn't willing to do the same because she has friends she values much higher than myself. If you want something specific: One of her friends when "missing" one night, and she called me at 5AM to come over because she was frightened. I might have overreacted cuz of the time but I was thinking "this person is in a ditch dead somewhere" haha... I drove over there and got there, sat, comforted and talked then drove her around town looking for places he could be. We never found him but he called her eventually (so everything was okay).

Again, had a few to drink so sorry if it isn't clear. But if it is, any ideas of what's going on or suggestions for what to do? I'm absolutely horrible at relationships at any level whether it's friends or significant others or family, so I'm just in a pickle with this one. And sorry again Bware if this doesn't relate to your topic enough but when I was reading it this is all I could think about so I'm sure it does haha.

I talked to a girl once. She gave me my sandwich and then I went home.

• Upvote 2

You bring up a lot of good points here and are right on about many of them, but I was in the friend zone with a girl before and it wasn't anything like you were saying. Me and her became associated by smoking weed together every day with some mutual friends (two other dudes). I always like her body, but at first when I met her I thought her face was kind of beat to be honest, but as I got to know her more and as we became better friends, I started to become really attracted to her. At the time though she had a boy friend that she'd been dating for a couple years so I didn't want to put myself out there and tell her because it would have ruined our friendship. In the end I never ended up fucking her. We RARELY talk now a days. Pretty much never honestly, but not ALL guys who get friend zoned are nice guys. I'm not a nice guy and in no way would I ever think it would entitle me to pussy. I will however say that it sucked to be in that spot. I mean what man wouldn't want to be with a girl who can be his bestfriend and his lover?

Guest Phailadelphia

Well, yeah, I wouldn't really consider that an example of what I was talking about. I'm talking about these dudes who get friendzoned and then get used by these girls relentlessly because they KNOW the guy hangs on their every word. Yet he still sticks around and does the "nice guy" routine and complains about this friend zone bullshit. Those are the real "friend zone" types IMO. I've been in a similar situation as you. My best friend in high school was a girl. I've had plenty of female friends I would have dated in a heart beat but, for whatever reason, had to put those feelings aside and just be their friend. And I think if that's the case then it has to become a mutual friendship. You shouldn't have anymore to do with that person's personal problems than they're willing to reciprocate for you, ya know?

And I also understand that maybe these types of guys aren't social butterflies (I'm certainly not) and don't meet girls easily so they're holding out for something to change, or whatever other million scenarios it could be. I get that. But this concept of the "friend zone" and the "girlfriendzone," both of which are stupid (although the girlfriendzone doesn't seem like it can exist without the friendzone having existed first), is something I just really don't like. It's dudes projecting their inner frustrations onto the girls they want to sleep with.

Anyway, I feel like I'm de-railing this thread so I'm going to step aside. I got my 2 cents in. This post may not even make sense. I've been awake for a very long time. I'm kinda delirious right now.

Edited by Phailadelphia

Unfortunately I'm involved in complicated case at the current time. Like Sarge and Phail, it's easy to tell when a girl isn't interested. But when I try to cut ties cuz "whatever, it ain't happening" or something of the sort, when she comes complaining that I fucked off, it sends mixed messages and is quite annoying. This is a specific situation btw, so idk if I'm going a bit off topic... had a few margaritas tonight so I am sorry Bware if I'm hijacking your thread but it's somewhat related and hey it may provide some insight?

I got a friend who I'm genuinely interested in and I've expressed interest previously, yet she's not interested in anything serious. That's fine, that's fine... I'd consider her just a friend then.. But when I try to lower myself to "friend level" as I'd say, and ask her to hang out, go to bars or house parties (yeah I'm in college haha) it's always "No, sorry, got other plans" this isn't just a few times it's almost every time. So then, after a while I decide that whatever she just doesn't care to be friends. Fine, so I try to remove myself from the friendly relationship because I figure if she don't wanna hang out ever then she don't wanna be friends; but no, next week I get into a heated discussion of why I'm not contacting her anymore. I guess I'm just stuck right now. I don't want to hurt any feelings from anyone ever but I'm getting really mixed messages here. I feel like she just wants me to put out as a friend, but isn't willing to do the same because she has friends she values much higher than myself. If you want something specific: One of her friends when "missing" one night, and she called me at 5AM to come over because she was frightened. I might have overreacted cuz of the time but I was thinking "this person is in a ditch dead somewhere" haha... I drove over there and got there, sat, comforted and talked then drove her around town looking for places he could be. We never found him but he called her eventually (so everything was okay).

Again, had a few to drink so sorry if it isn't clear. But if it is, any ideas of what's going on or suggestions for what to do? I'm absolutely horrible at relationships at any level whether it's friends or significant others or family, so I'm just in a pickle with this one. And sorry again Bware if this doesn't relate to your topic enough but when I was reading it this is all I could think about so I'm sure it does haha.

Seems like you're someone she likes to go to when option a, b, c, etc. aren't there for her to talk and she wants to talk to someone. But when it gets turned around it's not the same. Doesn't seem like a friendship that goes both ways to be honest.

I'll put it this way. A few years ago I was friends with a girl and we ended up going on a couple dates. I was interested in her but she wasn't interested in me. We stayed friends though and we've been friends since, grab lunch about once every month or two, etc. We both make an effort to hang out. That's a friendship going both ways.

I have a few girls I'm perfectly content with being friends with and I feel we have a healthy friendship.

Seems like you're someone she likes to go to when option a, b, c, etc. aren't there for her to talk and she wants to talk to someone. But when it gets turned around it's not the same. Doesn't seem like a friendship that goes both ways to be honest.

I'll put it this way. A few years ago I was friends with a girl and we ended up going on a couple dates. I was interested in her but she wasn't interested in me. We stayed friends though and we've been friends since, grab lunch about once every month or two, etc. We both make an effort to hang out. That's a friendship going both ways.

I have a few girls I'm perfectly content with being friends with and I feel we have a healthy friendship.

I'm in this boat. I'm fine with being friends if they put forth an effort to treat me like a human being, especially if there was some interest from me that wasn't reciprocated. I've got a handful of female friends, and to me completely honest one of my best friends is a girl. She's a fucking bombshell but I'm not interested in her. I've been used a handful of times, including the situation I had last year that I posted about, but I've never fallen into the "wasting money" or "shoulder to cry on" friendzone. I was just...conveniently there when she was bored, because we had a lot of fun hanging out. Nevertheless, this girl would just forget I existed for weeks/months at a time.

My point is, to say that I "girlfriendzoned" that girl would offend me, because I was really interested in her, and not just looking to fuck her.

I'm saying the idea that being put in the friendzone is "not getting sex from some girl" is flawed in itself, and for the article to ask people to stop using the term "friendzone" for the purposes they listed is flawed.

I understand the concept, but I don't think it's all that accurate. Lots of "friendzoned" guys are, as Phail said, not exactly socially adept, and that causes a lot of anxiety and can lead to them being susceptible to girls who are willing to use them.

Some of you guys have posted about worrying that you're derailing the thread. I'm actually thrilled by the conversation we've had so far. It's actually convincing me of how flawed the idea that being in the friendzone is being refused sex is.

Edited by BwareDWare94

You bring up a lot of good points here and are right on about many of them, but I was in the friend zone with a girl before and it wasn't anything like you were saying. Me and her became associated by smoking weed together every day with some mutual friends (two other dudes). I always like her body, but at first when I met her I thought her face was kind of beat to be honest, but as I got to know her more and as we became better friends, I started to become really attracted to her. At the time though she had a boy friend that she'd been dating for a couple years so I didn't want to put myself out there and tell her because it would have ruined our friendship. In the end I never ended up fucking her. We RARELY talk now a days. Pretty much never honestly, but not ALL guys who get friend zoned are nice guys. I'm not a nice guy and in no way would I ever think it would entitle me to pussy. I will however say that it sucked to be in that spot. I mean what man wouldn't want to be with a girl who can be his bestfriend and his lover?

This sounds almost exactly like my situation except I did end up dating her. I consider her my best friend too since we share a lot of common interests and I'd go to her about something before anyone else.

Glad I haven't had to think about this stuff in a while. The friend zone for a girl you are interested in, maybe even thought you were in love with, was the suck. It's easy to say you should move on but sometimes its easier said then done. I don't miss feeling like that. I probably had my moments where it went the other way, as well. If it happened, though, it was not intentional.

Edited by GA_Eagle
  • Upvote 2

Was confused by the title. I thought it was about when you yourself friend-zone a girl. Which I've done unknowingly a few times. :rofl: It was mostly back when I was into drugs a lot, never been attracted to girls that were into drugs even if I was. I thought of them as homies. Plus none of them looked too good, average at best.