Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Washington DC votes to decriminalize marijuana

By Kwame Opam on

March 4, 2014 05:24 pm

The Washington DC City Council voted today to significantly ease marijuana laws in the district. By a near unanimous vote, the council ruled that possession and private consumption of the drug in small amounts would be decriminalized. Mayor Vincent Gray is expected to sign the bill into law. DC will soon join 17 states that have decriminalization laws on the books, and becomes one of the most lenient cities in the country with regard to weed.

Previously, public consumption and possession of an ounce or less of marijuana were both criminal offenses that carried hefty fines of $1000 or six month prison sentences. Advocates stated that these penalties fell disproportionately on African Americans in the capital, with a 2013 study by the Washington Lawyers' Committee stating that "nine out of 10" arrests for possession involved African American residents. When the bill goes into effect this summer, possession will be deemed a civil offense with a light fine of $25. Public consumption is still considered a misdemeanor, though, with a maximum fine of $500 or 60 days in jail.

Marijuana advocates like the DC-based Marijuana Policy Project expressed their approval of the bill after it passed. "This means that, outside of Washington and Colorado, marijuana penalties are now less punitive in our nation’s capital than anywhere else in the country!" wrote Dan Rifle, director of federal projects at the MPP. Council member Tommy Wells, chief sponsor for the bill, hopes that the bill will help bring about necessary change, telling CNN, "This is a major step since we are the nation’s capital, and I am proud of that."

Source: TheVerge.com

Oh shit, son.

I do have a question. Why does it matter that blacks are the one who get caught 9/10 times? Are they trying to say that the police are racially targeting blacks in this matter?

Guest Phailadelphia

I do have a question. Why does it matter that blacks are the one who get caught 9/10 times? Are they trying to say that the police are racially targeting blacks in this matter?

Yes. And it seems they mentioned this for good reason, though this requires some more research.

marijuana_graphic.jpg

Edited by Phailadelphia

A lot of white people get possession charges knocked down to disorderly conducts and shit. Happens way less often for blacks. Look at the graphic Phail posted. You can't tell me that many more black people smoke weed than white people.

I don't know, I am unfamiliar with the situation. I just thought the statement seemed to imply that simply because more blacks than whites were arrested automatically meant there was some sort of racism going on. I'd like to know the numbers of people who actually were smoking marijuana, those who admitted it is pretty shaky to go on. However, that is a major discrepancy and I would be surprised if it didn't turn out that blacks are getting dis-proportionally arrested.

I wish I could find the full documentary of this online, because I've watched it numerous times before Vanguard/Current TV sold out ... :

The Vanguard/Current TV station no longer exists, unfortunately.

Edited by BLUE