Sign in to follow this  
Dutch

Eagles State of the franchise 2014

2014: The Dynasty Begins

Eagles are the number 1 offense in the league. They have more playmakers than any other team. We're 3-0 and we're gonna win the Super Bowl. Better record than the defending champs. Better record than Denver.

:facepalm:

Tried to warn you. It's not panic time obviously, but our offense will continuously struggle until we get Mathis and/or Kelce back. The defense won't score touchdowns every week.

We have the Rams coming up, which ordinarily wouldn't concern me, but the match up concerns me.

To be 4-1 at this point in the season is amazing. Having said that, we have some issues to work out beyond the offensive line getting healthy. Our starting cornerbacks are terrible, Chip Kelly doesn't understand running the clock out with a lead in the fourth quarter, and the jury is still very much out on Nick Foles.

To be 4-1 at this point in the season is amazing. Having said that, we have some issues to work out beyond the offensive line getting healthy. Our starting cornerbacks are terrible, Chip Kelly doesn't understand running the clock out with a lead in the fourth quarter, and the jury is still very much out on Nick Foles.

Eh, Riley Cooper should have ran out of bounds and the running game hadn't exactly been stellar in that game. As far as our corners go, Bradley Fletcher is serviceable but Cary Williams outside of that Colts game has been putrid.

If the Eagles can manage to get Evan Mathis ack and only lose 2 games we should be in great shape.

Edited by seanbrock

So last night after the game GA said something like I don't know what to take from this team heading into the bye. The biggest thing I'm taking away is that this team just finds a way to win games. They're very confident and well coached and are capable of making plays in every phase of the game. It says a lot about this team to battle through the injuries and suspensions on the Oline and end up with a 5-1 record.

That's the good news. The bad news is Nick Foles. He's been inaccurate, especially on his deep balls and he's made really dumb decisions under pressure. He's also had his fair share of fumbles. I don't think anyone expected 27 TD's and 2 INT's again, but honestly it seems like if it wasn't for Chip Kelly our passing offense would be horrible. He had the protection against the Giants last night for the most part but as soon as he felt pressure he started turning the ball over. If Foles can't start playing better the Eagles need to start thinking about drafting a QB of the future

Defensively we don't have the most talent in the world but Billy Davis has done a great job getting the most out of his guys. He's slowing turning Kendricks from an athlete to an actual football player and he's even gotten some surprisingly solid play out of Casey Matthews.

Right now the Eagles look like the 2nd best team in the division if I'm being honest. Dallas knocked off the defending champs and they looked better against San Fran than we did, but you can't count this team out. It's going to be really fun watching this team.

I wish we didn't have to wait until Thanksgiving to play Dallas.

I wish we didn't have to wait until Thanksgiving to play Dallas.

It'll be either the best or worst Thanksgiving ever lol

It'll be either the best or worst Thanksgiving ever lol

Assuming both teams are still impressive by then, I'm fine with a close loss as long as we get it back a few weeks later. That three game stretch starting Thanksgiving (@DAL, SEA, DAL) will be huge for the Eagles.

Edited by SteVo

So, there's still one game left, but officially eliminated from the playoffs, the Eagles can start looking ahead to the offseason.

Obviously, the top priority has to be the QB position. Mark Sanchez is not the guy, and I think Matt Barkley is a career backup at best. That leaves Nick Foles, who will probably be our starter in 2015. I expect the Eagles to do everything they can to make a move for Marcus Mariota, but I don't see it happening given what we would need to give up. So, maybe Chip drafts somebody like Bryce Petty in the 1st or 2nd round. We'll see.

Since it will be tough to find a franchise QB, the Eagles must focus on the secondary. Bradley Fletcher and Nate Allen cannot be re-signed, and I wouldn't be shocked if Cary Williams were cut. So let's get some free agents. Kareem Jackson? Devin McCourty? Byron Maxwell? Also, focus on this in the draft. That Oregon CB (whose name I can't spell) is a lock for the Eagles 1st or 2nd round pick.

The Eagles have two big decisions to make with impending free agents in Jeremy Maclin and Brandon Graham. I'd like to see both re-signed, but I wouldn't break the bank for either of them.

Otherwise, you can never have enough linemen, and the Eagles need another ILB to put next to Kendricks.

Overall, the Chip Kelly era is still looking great, and while it may seem like the Eagles took a step back this year, going from NFC East champs to out of the playoffs, I still believe the franchise is trending upward.

• Upvote 1

What do the Eagles do at QB? Gamble on a healthy Foles playing well? Sanchez obviously isn't the answer for anyone.

The answer is obviously trade for cutler.

What do the Eagles do at QB? Gamble on a healthy Foles playing well? Sanchez obviously isn't the answer for anyone.

Sign another back-up in free agency (maybe Jake Locker) for competition, and let the two duke it out for 2015. Or, if Chip Kelly sees a round 1/2 prospect he thinks he can develop into a franchise QB, take him.

The answer is obviously trade for cutler.

Stahp.

State of the franchise right now:

ErDKVpM.gif

• Upvote 1

I'm not a big fan of the Bradford trade at all with his injury history, but one thing I'm pretty pumped to see this year is our defensive front 7. We have a deep, versatile and athletic defensive line so we can give a lot of different looks there and we also have 4 LB's who can blitz effectively and some who are pretty good in coverage, namely Alonso. We could potentially be very difficult for opposing offenses to scheme against and with us having big CB's we could bully opposing teams like the Seahawks. Not saying our defense will be as good as theirs, don't get me wrong, but I see a lot of potential if our secondary can play decent, I think our front 7 can make us one of the 10 best defenses in the league. I really do.

CFjUi7wUgAMvMn6.jpg

DeMarco lookin good in midnight green. Never realized how jacked he is. :notbad:

Eagles have the best RB corps in the league but the problem is all three of them have missed a lot of games. I really hope Chip Kelly's sports science can keep us from having 1 or potentially no healthy RB's. It's a very real possibility that we could be looking at Sproles, Matthew Tucker and Josh Huff as our RB's for a stretch if Murray and Matthews are hurt at the same time. Good news is if Murray goes down we know Matthews can start.