Tridentdawgpound

2014 MLB Season Thread

We are coming for that #1 overall pick.

(although we are StL winning the ship.)

Edited by Favre4Ever

Trade deadline proposal: Fredi Gonzalez for any manager straight up.

Ron Gardenhire since he's the best and all

Edited by Bay

Just got home. Here's my thoughts on what we've done today:

Lester had to be dealt, that was a no brainer.

Cespedes I am pretty excited about. Will be 29 years old next year. He has a career .470 slug% in the Colliseum which is really impressive to me. His other advanced stats are really nice as well. His wRC+ (have zero idea what this is but people use it, and it's park adjusted which I like) is 113 which is 13% above average I think. I am excited to see if he gets an even bigger power boost from the wall at Fenway. His wOBA is .333 which is pretty good. wOBA is not park-adjusted I believe so that could get a boost from Fenway. His ISO is .208 which already is 2nd best on our team. This is a pretty good get IMO and I can't wait to see him play for us. I'm just pumped to FINALLY have a power bat from an outfielder. This lineup is in desperate need of some thump from the middle of the order.

Allen Craig is really interesting. He sucks complete ass this year. But '11, '12 and '13 he's been very good. If he gets back to what he used to be then this is another great get. But if not then it's a huge bust.

Joe Kelly is 26. Started 7 games this year so his stats are probably not even that telling. But so far it looks like he doesn't get many strikeouts and seems to walk a lot of batters. His ERA is currently 4.37. I don't really know how FIP is calculated but it's 3.93 and his xFIP is 3.72, so maybe he's gotten a little unlucky and he's going to get better? F4E, what have you seen from him in his career? I'm not really sure I should be expecting much from him.

So overall I am really happy about Cespedes. Craig and Kelly, not so much but I will give them a chance.

edit: Actually, you know what, I'm fucking pissed about what we got for Lackey. That's fucking it? We should have kept him. Jesus Christ. I really do not get this at all, actually. We traded our #2 starter (now best pitcher since Lester's gone) for Joe Kelly who blows and Allen Craig who has been good in the past, but currently blows. I am going to egg Cherington's house if Craig doesn't produce.

Edited by BradyFan81

Rofl Pirates fail. Way to sit on your asses and do nothing with a golden opportunity in front of your faces. Thanks for getting up the hopes of your fans last year for no reason.

We did something. James Russell and Emilio Bonifacio. Today was fun.

Mark S. @MarkMizzouSteel Follow Rays GM when asked about Pirates in Price talks and why trade him within the AL "David wanted to be traded to a proven winner".

And people wonder why I rage.

From a Yahoo article on winners and losers of the trade deadline:

Philadelphia Phillies: Speaking of missed opportunities, the entire Ruben Amaro era has turned into one. As Cleveland showed in getting rid of Justin Masterson and Asdrubal Cabrera, here is what you do with impending free agents: trade them. And when you have players of value, and your team is in last place in great need of a talent infusion, here is what you do likewise: trade them. Today, the Phillies still have Marlon Byrd and Kyle Kendrick and Jimmy Rollins and Antonio Bastardo, all of whom fall into the previous categories, not to mention Cole Hamels, one of baseball’s best pitchers. To blame other GMs for not wanting to give up more was the very definition of cluelessness from Amaro, whose poor read on value is evident by the disastrous contracts handed out under his watch and the mess of a team he fields on a daily basis.

SHOCKEDKRAMERISSHOCKED.gif

Pirates finna make the playoffs and make my emo rage look silly. :laugh:

I repeat: EVERYONE must go. I would honestly trade Fredi "Sleeper Agent" Gonzalez for any other manager in the league today.

John Lackey with the W!

Red Sox need to get Tulo or Stanton this off-season. We have one of the deepest farms, it's time to unload. Only Mookie Betts should be off limits.

We really should just give the starting CF job to Betts now so he can begin his chase for Pete Rose's record. :coffee:

Edited by BradyFan81

Pirates finna make the playoffs and make my emo rage look silly. :laugh:

Never mind. McCutchen to miss 3-4 weeks.

R.I.P 2014 season :Suicide:

Days without Cardinal baseball aren't really worth living... Unless we would just lose anyway, in which case it's fine to have an off day.

Bucs getting it done without McCutchen so far.

We scored more runs than the other team did today.

What does that mean?

Puig snapped his bat on a check swing that didn't even make contact with anything. Obviously steroids. :yep:

Just when I thought we were dead we sweep Oakland and finish a homestand against WSH, LAD, and OAK with a 6-4 stretch. Well then. Pirates are coming off a brutal sweep this weekend. Let's put salt in the wound.

ON A ROLL!!!! Feels good, until we crash back to Earth. The offense has been pretty unreal the last couple of weeks, and pretty clutch. Pitching has been... Blah, and Trevor Rosenthal has completely collapsed. Sad, but if the offense scores and hits like this, who needs pitchers anyway?

Home stretch of the season coming up. Pirates need to step it up. We're only 2.5 back, so we can definitely still do this.

Those fade away / fall back kind of throws are so awesome to see... Haha.

In other news, the we suck again and football is about to start... Phew.

Pirates are still in a great position for the WC. Not sure how, but I'll take it.