Sign in to follow this  
BwareDWare94

Tim McGraw's Shitty New Album Has a Racist Title

So Tim McGraw and his management team made a huge oversight on what they're apparently titling his next album (due out in 6 months--no idea why they're releasing this information so early). Apparently the album title is Sundown Heaven Town. Think about that for a second. Sundown [ ] Town. While this is a case of an obvious lack of knowledge on the topic and the connotations of what a Sundown Town was, let alone adding a word like Heaven in the middle to make it sound divine or pure.

Aside from making by far the shittiest music of his career, apparently Tim McGraw can't spot something that looks quite racist. Good lord.

Has he or any of his managers etc explained or tried to explain the title or why they are calling it that.

I googled the album and in one of the articles someone in the comment section said it was a lyric in one of his songs on the album???

I'm gonna need someone to explain the connotation of "Sundown Town" to me.

there's actually a reference in his single, Lookin' for That Girl, here's the chorus:

Lookin' for that girl, that girl, that girl
Hard to find, got me spending every night
Sundown heaven town, drivin' 'round, hitting the bars,
Shooting the stars, rollin' up on every party wonderin' where you are
Drivin' me crazy, something says baby, yeah, maybe you're that girl
That girl, that girl, that girl
I'm hoping that just means he and his song writers are clueless to the connotation, and since I had to look it up, Sundown Towns refer to all white towns where signs were posted saying blacks needed to be out by sundown
Edited by oochymp

I hate all things country. But someone's gonna have to really break it down to me.

Has he or any of his managers etc explained or tried to explain the title or why they are calling it that.

Not yet. The title was only recently released, but I'm sure they'll have to, especially if Kyle (editor, owner of the wonderful savingcountrymusic.com) gets any press for this article:

http://www.savingcountrymusic.com/tim-mcgraws-sundown-heaven-town-has-racist-connotations

Edited by BwareDWare94

A "sundownn town" is one where African Americans were not allowed to be outside after dark. They were rather common in various parts of the US throughout the years. On interesting fact about them; they were more common in the northern and mid-western states than in the south.

Investigation Discovery Channel did a pretty great show on them a few weeks ago.