Sign in to follow this  
BwareDWare94

Weekly Non-Football Discussion Topic: Apr. 6-12 (Kevin Love)

5 members have voted

1. 1. Does Kevin Love belong in the best PF conversation?

• Yes. Filling the stat sheet the way he does warrants it.
    • No. He doesn't seem to elevate his teammates, and that's vital.
  2. 2. Can a player fill up the stat sheet without truly elevating his team?

• Yes. especially one-way players like Love, Carmelo, etc.
    • No. If you're a great player and your team isn't good, it says more about your teammates.
  3. 3. Should the Wolves trade Kevin Love and take a chance on building around Rubio/Deing?

• Yes. While both are raw, offensively, both show extreme upside and actually play defense.
    • No. You don't trade away a talent like Love unless you have no other option.
    • I don't think either option is all that attractive.

So I've turned the corner on Kevin Love. I don't think he even belongs in the best PF conversation anymore (Aldridge and Griffin), and it's his flat out refusal to become a good defender that has done him in, imo.

At this point, I've accepted that Love is essentially just a stat accumulator who doesn't truly make his team any better. I've gotten fed up with all the "Where's he going?" stories, and I just want the Wolves to move on and look for a new franchise cornerstone.

While I do think the Wolves should trade Love, I don't particularly like what they're left with once he's gone. Barring a trade that brings in a real scorer, I just don't see the Wolves being left with much.

What do you folks think?

Edited by BwareDWare94

The Wolves are in a really weird situation. IDK about Rubio, his defense is still great, and he is a top 5 assist man (despite an offense that doesn't really fit his skills, and a coach whom at times seems to be against him). But his shooting is so spotty, and you have to wander how much better he can be in that category.

Granted, shooting is the easiest thing to develop for most players, and should be no different for Rubio. Suggesting he can develop that to an extent, he'd be a great player. You can build around Rubio as your centerpiece (granted it'd be risky and dependent on him improving).

Love on the other hand, IDK. I still stand by my stance that he's just not someone you can build around mostly due to his spotty (at best) defense. As a gigantic numbers nerd, I can't agree with the idea of putting up "empty stats" when its done so efficiently, and with Love in the game the Wolves play on offense on pace with some of the best in the league. He's still imo for the time being a top 3 PF.

He's a great player, and one I'd be happy with as a #2 or 3 option, but not as my number 1 guy, and I wouldn't pay him like a #1 guy. If that's what he demands, I'd trade him to the highest bidder.

I don't think Love refuses to be a good defender, I just think he is incapable of being a good defender. Or is he just lazy? Lol

From a team standpoint.

Love really doesn't provide much. He doesn't make players around him better, he does his thing on offense, and is rather lazy on defense.

A great offensive talent and can stretch the floor, but he's not somebody you can build a franchise around, especially if he wants #1 type money when all he does is pad the stat sheet every night.

Not as great as advertised, and is an expendable player, IMO.

I don't think Love refuses to be a good defender, I just think he is incapable of being a good defender. Or is he just lazy? Lol

One could legitimately make the argument that he just has no interest in playing defense. The "rumors" that he often will go for the box out instead of contesting shots at the rim are real.

As is the lazy transition on defense. His athleticism limits how good he could ever be on defense, but still. To get so little effort from the 4 on defense can be a real backbreaker.

Edited by DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F

Love is the PF version of Melo, imo. Neither will win a championship without a true superstar on their team.

The Wolves are in a shitty situation because they have a nice stat-stuffer that thinks he's a #1. Trading him will set them back, but keeping him will result in the stagnant mediocrity that we've seen from them. I feel like they either need to hope Rubio can develop further, get lucky in the draft, or find a dumbass trade partner willing to give up the farm.

If your team sucks then it's very hard for your star player to carry you. I saw it for years with Paul Pierce. He just needs a better team around him and then he will be able to make some noise.

I desperately want the Celtics to trade our 1st rounder for him, granted that would hinge on him willing to re-sign as part of the deal. He is a great player though.

The Twolves should get rid of him though, he's sure as hell not re-signing with them after they just wasted the first 5 years of his career.