Sign in to follow this  
CampinWithaMissingPerson

Buffalo trading up for Sammy Watkins

Okay, this was obviously a very ballsy trade. It had been rumored for a week or so pre-draft that the Lions or Bills were trying to move up for Sammy Watkins. I'd guess that it's very possible that the Lions were definitely trying to trade up but the Bills' deal was so over the top given how much they gave up that Cleveland deemed them the highest bidder put up against Detroit's possible offer.

THAT is whatever though. What I want to ask/discuss here is why Buffalo gave up that much. Sammy obviously offers the potential to be a dynamic play maker in the NFL, but that was a lot to give up for him. I watched Sammy live in person in HS and yet I still don't believe he was worth that much of a trade. Which brings me to the point of this...

The Bills owner recently passed away and being a new owner is likely to enter the picture did the Bills front office and coaches realize this and gamble the future to grab a play maker that can maybe save their jobs now?

Think about it, Marrone and Co. are married to EJ Manuel who showed no progression in his rookie season. It can be argued that Thad Lewis at times even played better. The owner who hired you is no longer there and new ownership is on it's way. What are Manuel's strengths and weaknesses? What weapons do the Bills have?

Manuel was not on the same page as Stevie Johnson. He's been traded. He was much more on the same page as Robert Woods. He also made some plays deep with Goodwin and to a lesser extent Graham. What would help out a QB like Manuel tremendously given his limitations as an NFL passer? A run after the catch guy. A bonafide play maker who can create on his own with limited help from his QB.

Enter Sammy Watkins who did a lot of this in college with a similarly limited QB in Tajh Boyd. I couldn't rationalize why the Bills did what they did til now. This is them going all-in because they fear they will be out of a job if they don't win this year given the ownership situation. This is something none of us or even the national media or whoever has really discussed since the draft. But it's very obvious IMO now.

Thoughts?

Yes. Multiple people in the Buffalo area have said the exact same thing and it's the only real explanation for this draft weekend.

• Upvote 1

At least the Browns will be doing nothing with that first round pick. The Bills made a safe move and not let a team who drafts well a shot at better players.

Yes. Multiple people in the Buffalo area have said the exact same thing and it's the only real explanation for this draft weekend.

Yeah I was talking to a friend last night about Sammy and we were talking about the awful trade and it dawned on me that this had to be the only possible explanation; that they felt like they might be out of a job by next year due to the owner change.

Pretty much the same thing Dominik did with Revis. GMs and staff get desperate and make a move to try to save their job. Rarely works.

As for Manuel is hard to judge his development his rookie year. He missed 6 games due to injury.

Am I the only one who doesn't think it was a TERRIBLE trade? It wasn't spectacular but the Bills saw an opportunity to move up and grab an elite player (who rumor has it was #1 or 2 on their board overall) and took it. Might the value for moving up been a lot? Yes. But if he turns out to be a Top 5 receiver in this league everyone will look back and say it was a great move.

I do not believe the upcoming ownership and wanting the Bills to stay in Buffalo had anything to do with it. I think the fact that the team has not made the playoffs since 1999 and needs to do make a splash has a lot more to do with it than the ownership situation.

Edited by JetsFan4Life
  • Upvote 1

What if he is a Top 5 WR and the Bills still pick in the Top 10 every year, is the trade still worth it then? The Bills treated this like they were 1 player away from contending.

• Upvote 1

I wouldn't call the trade terrible but it was incredibly risky. They also have quite a few holes to fill on their football team and it is questionable trading away 1st round draft picks when you're in rebuilding mode but if Watkins really turns out to be a stud, it could possibly be worth it. However, I do respect that the Bills are trying to give their franchise QB weapons. I don't agree with getting rid of Stevie Johnson though. That was incredibly stupid.

Eh, I disagree. If Watkins is in the league of an A.J Green, Dez Bryant or Demaryius Thomas, the trade would be worth it.

Wide receivers have never and will never be the catalyst that drives teams to championships. WRs are the icing, they are one in a group of extension positions that makes a good team great and should be treated as such.

Trades like these should be reserved for perceived "locks" (according to your team's draft board, not the media's) at prime positions such as QB, DL, OL. The Seahawks just won the Super Bowl with trash and a star WR that almost never sees the field.

• Upvote 1