Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Falcons @ Panthers

By JORDAN GARRETSON

STATS Writer
(AP) -- One would expect two teams with three wins apiece through Week 10 to be resigned to disappointing seasons rather than eyeing the playoffs.

That's where the Atlanta Falcons and Carolina Panthers find themselves ahead of their first meeting of the season Sunday, however, thanks to a dreadful NFC South.

Despite finally ending a five-game losing streak with last Sunday's 27-17 win at last-place Tampa Bay, Atlanta (3-6) is just one-game back of division leader New Orleans (4-5). The Falcons, who are trying to return to the playoffs after missing them in 2013 following three straight postseason trips, lost by an average of 12.0 points during their skid.

The host Panthers (3-6-1) are a half-game behind the Saints even with Monday's 45-21 loss at Philadelphia, which dropped them to 1-6-1 in their last eight games. They've lost by at least 18 points three times during a four-game slide.

The division's 11 combined wins are tied with the 1984 AFC Central for the fewest by any division through 10 weeks since the 1970 merger. Its .220 winning percentage (5-19-1) in interdivision games is the worst in the same span.

"Certainly with the way the division has played out so far this year, it keeps us right in the mix," said Matt Ryan, who has posted the second-highest quarterback rating of his career (93.4). "We've got to keep the same mindset going forward, try to knock these wins out one at a time and hopefully at the end of the year we'll have enough to keep playing."

With Carolina still in play for a second consecutive postseason appearance for the first time in franchise history, coach Ron Rivera drew on his experience as an assistant with the 2008 Chargers, who made the playoffs despite a 4-8 start.

"I have been through this before, and I know what it is like," Rivera said. "So we're mirroring that (team), but at the same time we have to start making hay. Eventually everyone is going to start righting the ship and if we're not where we need to be then that is going to pass us up."

For Atlanta, a rejuvenated running game was a key component to recording a second road win in 13 tries. Steven Jackson ran for 81 yards - the most by a Falcon this season - and Atlanta totaled 110 on the ground after averaging 69.5 in its previous four games. The Falcons are tied for 24th with 97.2 rushing yards per game.

Their injury-ravaged offensive line, which has seen 10 players start, appears to be making progress. In addition to clearing space for Jackson, Atlanta gave up one sack after allowing 11 over its previous three games.

"I thought our offensive line did a nice job and I thought Steven Jackson played extremely physically," Ryan said. "He went out there running between the tackles and did a great job for us."

That group's job could be slightly easier with Carolina defensive tackle Star Lotulelei expected to sit out due to a sprained ankle. Lotulelei has three tackles for loss while starting all 10 games.

The Falcons have averaged 63.0 rushing yards with one touchdown during a three-game series losing streak and Jackson has failed to run for more than 59 yards in five career meetings.

Carolina gave up only 37 yards on 23 carries to Philadelphia after yielding 134.8 rushing yards in its previous four games. However, the Panthers surrendered a season-high 328 passing yards, and Cam Newton threw three picks and was sacked nine times.

Rivera refuted a report Tuesday that said his quarterback was nursing multiple injuries. Newton has four total TDs compared to nine turnovers, with a 52.9 completion percentage while taking 19 sacks in the last four games. He said Wednesday he hasn't been 100 percent "in a long time," but also added, "That's not an excuse for me to be playing the type of football that I'm playing."

A matchup with Atlanta would appear favorable given its league-worst pass defense and its 11 sacks, which rank 31st. Facing one-win Tampa Bay, the Falcons registered a season-best four sacks and had two interceptions for the second time in three games. They've allowed an average of 19.5 points the last two games after giving up 31.8 in their previous four contests.

Newton has taken only one sack in each of the Panthers' three straight wins over Atlanta. He has run for 72 or more yards in three of the last four meetings.

Roddy White has averaged 115.3 receiving yards with five TDs over his last four matchups.

Source: Hosted.Stats.com

How low can Cam go? If he can't look even mediocre against the Falcons Defense, all the coaches need to be fired immediately.

• Upvote 1

Falcons will win on the road off of another road victory.

• Upvote 1

How low can Cam go? If he can't look even mediocre against the Falcons Defense, all the coaches need to be fired immediately.

Newton hasn't looked quite right to me since the start of the season. There are also a lot of questions, despite what coaches (and Newton) are saying, that Newton did indeed get injured last week.

Is it not the wackiest thing in the NFL right now that both the Falcons (3-6) and the Panthers (3-6-1) are still in the race for the division title? That's just insane. In fact, with a Saints loss and a Falcons win today, the Falcons will be our division.

Now as a note on the Falcons defense, I'm going to throw some knowledge at you guys.

As of today, our passing defense is allowing a pretty significantly lower QB rating to opposing QBs than they did last year.

2013 - 102.4

2014 - 94.2

Crazy right? Right now the Falcons are playing as a top 10 defense - inside the red zone. However, you move the Falcons outside of the red zone, and they couldn't stop a nose bleed. It's the true definition of bend but don't break defense IMO.

Also amazing is how well we are playing with our banged up offensive line. We are on our 3rd center and our 4th right tackle thus far. Only Jon Asomoah at RG has yet to sustain an injury. Jake Matthews has been playing with a sprained ankle since the middle of the 2nd quarter in week 2. They're saying he's finally patched up. Our starting LG Justin Blalock is in the midst of dealing with a foot injury right now, he's got the "questionable" tag for today.

Honestly, if the Falcons can win today, I'm still holding out for a NY Giants type playoff run. But that's me being an optimistic fan. We have the tools, but I'm not sure that the Falcons have the leadership or the coaching to accomplish such a feat.

Harry Douglas (foot) and Devin Hester (ankle) are both active for Week 11 vs. Carolina.

As expected. Neither is a reliable fantasy option.
Inactive for the Falcons are QB Sean Renfree, WR Freddie Martino, CB Javier Arenas, LB Tyler Starr, OT Jonathan Scott, OT Cameron Bradfield, and DT Cliff Matthews.

Panthers declared CB Bene Benwikere, RB Chris Ogbonnaya, S Robert Lester, OT David Foucault, LG Amini Silatolu, OL Mike Remmers, and DT Star Lotulelei inactive for Week 11 against the Falcons.

Benwikere isn't yet over his high-ankle sprain. Lotulelei is out with an ankle injury of his own, but is expected back in Week 12. Silatolu has a balky knee.

So glad Rivera is coaching the Pussycats.

Made it too easy with that playcalling on the missed FG.

Also he threw Gano under the bus in the press conference. Just smh.

Man has no balls, no guts, and throws the blame on players for shitty playcalling. He doesn't deserve to be a coach in the NFL, nor does Shula.

Edited by Thanatos19