Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, Oregon
P.J. Williams, Florida State

Safeties

1. Landon Collins, Alabama
Gerod Holliman, Louisville
Derron Smith, Fresno State
Damarious Randall, Arizona State
5. Anthony Harris, Virginia

Refraining from talk of anyone beyond safety and cornerback, as I haven't done proper research to grade many others. However, I'm totally down for that list at CB; with my only exception being Kevin Johnson. I don't have the film study to fully grade Johnson, nor is much of the study that recent, which is where I've heard he has come on strong. In my opinion the ACL tear damages who Ekpre-Olomu is as a player and really puts his insane athleticism into question. He is simply not big enough to compete on a wobbled knee. Peters is easily the #1 and I'm beyond proud of Bucky for making that call. As of now I'd rank them Peters, Waynes, Williams, Ekpre-Olomu, and Johnson somewhere in the distance.

Safety is where I'm pissed off and I'll explain why. This is the analysis Brooks gave for Landon Collins,

"Collins is the most complete safety the draft has seen in years. He is a rock-solid box defender with the instincts, ball skills and cover ability to play tight ends and slot receivers in space. Holliman is one of the most polarizing prospects in the class. He is a legitimate ballhawk capable of producing game-changing turnovers, yet he is a marginal run defender with suspect tackling skills."

Collins is not the most complete safety the draft has seen in years. A complete safety isn't a marginal run defender with suspect tackling skills. Don't let the RightPlaceRightTime(RPRT) shit fool you; Collins is a 3rd round guy with extreme luck and great instincts when the ball is wobbling in the air. He isn't as strong in coverage as Brooks likes to think, and will struggle with slot receivers and tight ends when it comes to keeping up or even tackling. Collins is a ballhawk who lacks essential athleticism to succeed in the NFL if you can't tackle. If he improves his work in the tackling game and shows a knowledge of coverage I'll jump on the wagon. Until then, Collins is a bust in the making with Jarvis Jones 2.0. smeared across his forehead.

Holliman is not worthy of being the #2 safety, but he is honestly in the same spot on my list. Dude has absolutely zero ability to tackle or play tough. Essentially a midfielder with solid coverage ability and a knack for finding the ball that is unbelievable. He'll take advantage of a weak safety class and end up as a first rounder most likely, but he grades out as a late 2nd for me. Unlike Collins, his interceptions are not RPRT. He looks like roadrunner going sideline to sideline and doesn't miss his chances.

Derron Smith is not even top 5 on my list, even in an incredibly weak safety class. It's very tough to pinpoint the flaws in Smith's game, but he simply lacks next level talent. Is he able to immediately come in and start? Likely. Will he be roasted by vastly superior athletes? Definitely. He had issues getting burnt over the top. Lacked coverage ability. Failed to make tackles. Just in general I didn't like what I saw. He easily dominated at Fresno State; and he has hustle, but I just don't know how far it will get him.

No film on Randall yet.

Harris is my #5 safety, and is essentially a much more polished version of Smith. He still has to touch up on his overall game but I don't have a problem seeing him as an average starter within the next few years.

For the record, Kurtis Drummond and Cody Prewitt are my #1 and #2, respectively. Prewitt is tied with Holliman on my board.

Edited by Chernobyl426
  • Upvote 2

I've just barely started watching tape on draft prospects. I'm a little surprised TCU's Paul Dawson didn't make his Top 5 at ILB. He looks like a very solid three down LB in my opinion.

I've just barely started watching tape on draft prospects. I'm a little surprised TCU's Paul Dawson didn't make his Top 5 at ILB. He looks like a very solid three down LB in my opinion.

Was #4 on his OLB

Was #4 on his OLB

Ah... I guess I should read the entire list before I post. :yao:

I guess Dawson could play the 43 OLB, but I personally see his best fit as a 34 ILB.

It's a shame that Marcus Peters had to choke his coach on the sideline and be retarded off the field, or well on the field technically but on the sideline. :(

I share your pain :(

I dont have time to keep up with all the NCAA players. i'm just familer with the top players and bigger names.

As a chiefs fan i just know they need a number one WR and a lot of help on the OLine.

i like the kid from WVU Kevin White based on where the Chiefs are picking, i hope he'll be there.

Ah... I guess I should read the entire list before I post. :yao:

I guess Dawson could play the 43 OLB, but I personally see his best fit as a 34 ILB.

Dawson is gonna be good, I'll tell you that much.

I've early in my draftness, but as always I find myself disagreeing with the "experts" and their list of the top players at each position.

Also think its funny how Funchess is a TE and WR depending on who you ask.

Also think its funny how Funchess is a TE and WR depending on who you ask.

I basically see Funchess in the same mold as Jimmy Graham. Graham argued he deserved the receiver franchise tag, but got labeled a tight end. I believe Funchess will excel as a tight end and as an oversized slot receiver taking advantage of linebackers and safetys in coverage. I don't see him as an outside receiver much, if at all.

I basically see Funchess in the same mold as Jimmy Graham. Graham argued he deserved the receiver franchise tag, but got labeled a tight end. I believe Funchess will excel as a tight end and as an oversized slot receiver taking advantage of linebackers and safetys in coverage. I don't see him as an outside receiver much, if at all.

I would agree if he didn't play on the outside most of his career in Michigan. So obviously you can move a guy inside and out, but I don't see him as a legit tight end IMO.

I would agree if he didn't play on the outside most of his career in Michigan. So obviously you can move a guy inside and out, but I don't see him as a legit tight end IMO.

This year was his first year playing receiver at Michigan if I'm not mistaken. I agree that a good head coach and/or offensive coordinator would eventually find a way to move him all over the field to find and create mismatches. (including outside) I just personally see him better playing on the line or in the slot with his particular skill set.

I'm not calling him a traditional tight end either, just stating the whole Jimmy Graham franchise tag fiasco for why I could see him ultimately being labeled as one by the league.

This year was his first year playing receiver at Michigan if I'm not mistaken. I agree that a good head coach and/or offensive coordinator would eventually find a way to move him all over the field to find and create mismatches. (including outside) I just personally see him better playing on the line or in the slot with his particular skill set.

I'm not calling him a traditional tight end either, just stating the whole Jimmy Graham franchise tag fiasco for why I could see him ultimately being labeled as one by the league.

Yeah I just finished my first round on Funchess and there is no way he is a TE. He his way too fluid of an athlete.

Edited by butta55