Sign in to follow this  
theMileHighGuy

Bengals cockblock Broncos and 49ers for DB Coach Vance Joseph

Vance Joseph was among the top candidates to interview for the Broncos' vacant defensive coordinator job, but the Bengals have removed his right to interview with other teams for a DC position (which I thought was illegal). It turns out that the NFL deems a DB coach to DC move a lateral one, and the Bengals are within their rights to deny Vance Joseph any interview opportunities. He was also targeted by the 49ers, and I'm sure on a few other teams' radars. Pretty shitty operation by Mike Brown and/or Marvin Lewis not allowing a guy to further his career, but I guess it happens all the time.

From Broncos' beat writer Mike Klis:

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2015/01/21/marvin-lewis-mike-brown-need-right-thing-vance-joseph/32263/

I feel almost certain that Joseph would've been given the job given his history with Kubiak. I would've loved to have seen what he could do with not only our secondary, but instilling some of the aggressive philosophies that the Bengals defenses have year in and year out with our talent. But alas, it seems not to be.

This leaves our DC search greatly in flux, with linebackers coach Richard Smith now a favorite to land the job. This makes me cringe. Another year of the Del Rio-style defense might kill me. If you're not up to speed, that's the one with corners that play 10 yards off the ball once you have any kind of lead, the one that never blitzes, and the one that has the leagues best pass-rushers dropping into coverage on 3rd down.

There's still a couple guys left available who I'd like to see interview. I wouldn't be opposed to Wade Phillips or Jim Schwartz. If nothing else, they are great defensive minds. There's also KC linebackers' coach Gary Gibbs, and Baltimore's linebackers' coach Ted Monachino. I have nothing against Richard Smith in principal, I don't know for sure how he would coach the defense as a whole, and he's done a hell of a job with the likes of Von Miller, Danny Trevathan, and Brandon Marshall. With the slate being cleaned as it is though, I just want to see some new blood in the fold across the board.

What are your thoughts on teams blocking interviews for their staff? Especially those of minorities if that's something that matters to you. Vance Joseph would have been our Rooney Rule candidate, so I'm not sure who will be brought in to fill that out.

Edited by theMileHighGuy

I'm pretty sure the rules allow teams to bar other teams from interviewing assistants for any other assistant job (ie, anything but HC) but you don't usually see it happen unless they're looking at a lateral move or the team has plans to promote the guy in question within their own staff, a move like this makes you wonder if it'll be harder for Cincy to bring in good assistants

This happens more often than you think.

Keith Butler turned down DC jobs and interviews to wait for his turn for years. Then he was ready and Dick was still around, so he was going to interview with Arizona and then later had an actual deal in place with the Colts, but was blocked by the Steelers each time. He was the Steelers' LB coach for 12 years in all.

Yup... The Packers just did the same thing to the Rams, I believe... Blocking QB Coach Alex Van Pelt from interviewing for the Rams OC position. Pretty common, at least in Green Bay. ha

So there's hope that Vance Joseph may still be our guy. Reportedly we haven't stopped badgering the Bengals about him yet, and Mike Brown is just being a douchebag. Joseph has confirmed that he indeed wants the job, too. The Bengals are interviewing Perry Fewell for a defensive staff position, and maybe this could free up Joseph to pursue his promotion.

I certainly hope so, because our second choice, linebackers coach Richard Smith, is joining his friend Dan Quinn in Atlanta, potentially as DC there. This also sucks because Von Miller was very close with Smith, and credited him with a lot of his professional success.

If Joseph can't be had, I certainly hope we hire Wade Phillips, because the other name being tossed around right now is Mike Smith. I might literally cry if we hired Mike Smith to be our DC. I don't think Atlanta fielded a decent defense in his entire tenure at Atlanta. Phillips has history with both Kubiak and the Broncos.

Edited by theMileHighGuy

It just kind of shocks me that the NFL hangs its fat hat on the Rooney Rule, but in this type of situation it's cast aside. They force NFL teams to give minority coaches opportunities, but then in the same breath do nothing when one is being handcuffed by their organization. Joseph would stand to triple or quadruple his salary.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/560063606872887296

This may mean that we've given up on trying to pry away Joseph from the Bengals.

https://twitter.com/alexmarvez/status/560068079913160704

If the Broncos are really sold on Vance Joseph as their DC as the future, I could see this happening, and don't have much of a problem with it. Wade's guidance couldn't hurt in his first year running the entire defense. I just hope if this is the case, that Wade is knowledgeable of it and also on board, and will not be lead on that he's going to be 'the guy' long term. Could end up being an ugly situation otherwise.

Wade will be a really good fit with Denver's defensive personnel. I could honestly see Von Miller breaking Strahan's single-season sack record under Wade.

Wade will be a really good fit with Denver's defensive personnel. I could honestly see Von Miller breaking Strahan's single-season sack record under Wade.

I think the same thing, but I'm really excited for what it could mean for the more tertiary players on the D. Wade's 1-gap attack-first-ask-questions-later could be great for guys like Malik Jackson and Derek Wolfe, who I can see flourishing as 3-4 DEs in this system. Sylvester Williams has struggled with decision making since being a number one pick, and this type of system where you basically just have one assignment could be really good for him too, because he's definitely a talented player.

I'll be really excited to see Von rushing more and not dropping into coverage on 3rd down as often. We must retain TKnight at all costs though.

It wont matter, until they get rid of Peyton, the Broncos will never win a Super Bowl.