Sarge

2015 MLB Season Thread

:no:

Kershaw

I'm glad to see Albert in the HR derby this year. Should be fun, I hope.

Also, Kershaw is having his worst season since being a rook. I realize that even knowing that, he hasn't been that bad, but still. Bochy had to pick guys from the Phillies, Padres, and Brewers just so everyone had a representative. And then he picked Wacha and Burnett which i can't fault him for either...Maybe you could argue Kershaw over Mad Bum, but of course Bruce is gonna be a little biased, ha.

To be fair, Kershaw is still 2nd in the NL in WAR. haha. I realize Bochy isn't gonna pay attention to that, but still. Kershaw got off to a slow start, but he's been as good as anyone since the middle of May. And FWIW, I'd still take him over any pitcher in the NL. I could definitely see him out-pitching Scherzer in the 2nd half.

Kershaw would suffice. He's owning the lolPhillies as we speak.

Regular season Kershaw and post-season Madison. :megusta:

Edited by Green Bay

Pirates finish the first half by winning 3 in a row vs the Cards.

:megusta:

Quintana got owned :yao: ChiSox still own the Cubbies doe :smug:

Normally I could care less about the Cubs. Arrieta tho :rock:

Something I compiled on my own.

The record of the top 5 teams in the NL through their first 40 games and then their record since that time. Also, at the end I will include my thoughts now and what I think will happen in the 2nd half. These would be the 5 playoff teams if the playoffs started today.

1. Cardinals - 1st 40 (27-13) (.675 win %) Since (29-19) (.604 win %)

2. Pirates - 1st 40 (18-22) (.450 win %) Since (35-13) (.729 win %) - wow

3. Dodgers - 1st 40 (24-16) (.600 win %) Since (27-23) (.540 win %)

4. Nationals - 1st 40 (23-17) (.575 win %) Since (25-22) (.531 win %)

5. Cubs - 1st 40 (22-17) (.550 win %) Since (25-22) (.531 win %)

A few notes:

- Since the middle of May, the Pirates have essentially been the best team in the NL. I don't know if they will rack up more wins than the Cardinals the rest of the way, however. I think they will host the NL wildcard game at PNC Park for the 3rd season in a row.

- After their ridiculous start to the season, the Cardinals haven't regressed all that much. They still had the 2nd best winning percentage by a comfortable margin in the 2nd half of the 1st half. I still think they are the favorite to win the NL Central and win the most games in the NL.

- Sticking with the NL Central, the Cubs have been pretty consistent all season. They're definitely legit, and being the 3rd best team in the NL Central is by no means a bad thing. I expect them to contend for a wildcard until the very end, and my money would be on them to get the 2nd wildcard behind the Pirates.

- The Nationals will win the NL East with ease, and I wouldn't choose any team over them in a playoff series due to their rotation. Whoever faces them is going to need to play the best stretch of baseball of their lives to win.

- But these guys (Dodgers) are definitely more than capable of knocking out the Nats, as they feature a nasty rotation in their own right. And they probably have a better and more consistent lineup than the Nats as well.

Maybe another time I'll do the AL before the All-Star break is over.

Season gets back underway tonight. :towel:

John Smoltz came out and said that the current Starting Rotation the Mets have is better than the Braves of the 90's.

While I feel it's a bit early to agree, the talent level is definitely there especially when Zac Wheeler returns next season.

Well if that's true then the Nats, Dodgers, Pirates, and Cards also have more talented rotations than those Braves.

I think that pitching and defense have changed too much in the last 20 years to compare, quite honestly. I can see why he would say something like that. But Greg Maddux is one of the best pitchers of all time with ease, and Tom Glavine was pretty damn good as well. I'm not saying any pitchers on the Mets can't have great careers, but I don't think it's wise to take that comment from Smoltz too literally. Athletes often exaggerate their points of view when they talk anyway, not just in baseball, but in general.

Yea I fully agree with what you are saying here, I think it is more saying that they have the ability than actually him saying they are all better.

They definitely do have a lot of talent, that's for sure. Their rotation will be interesting to see in a few years when everyone is fully recovered from TJ (unless Thor ends up needing, too, which is possible).

Speaking of the Mets, we're down to the last 2 weeks before the trade deadline. Interested to see what they do. They should look to bring in Aramis Ramirez or Ben Zobrist. (both would be awesome)

Well, this thread went dead in a hurry. lol

ASG didn't help any.

Jays took 2 of three from the Rays. Good start, but it needs to continue. MAKE SOME MOVES!

Yea what Ben said.

Mets have looked shakey straight after the ASG 1-3 and got hammered last night. I think post season ball is too far a reach but I'll be interested to see what happens.

I wonder if we can Puig for a couple of our older pitching. I've seen a couple of things mention it.

Edited by Bangy

Pirates have inquired on Ben Zobrist. Do eeeeet!

That would be a big addition for sure.

Jays are in Oakland starting tonight.

Another great pitching by DeGrom, he really is on point at the moment. Was also nice to see the Mets keeping the Nats honest. Would still love to see them make a move for a bat though, without losing the pitching

We're banged up and need some trades.

I know I'm going to sound like a broken record but we really need extra bats. The pitching most days are doing a great job but the bats aren't quite doing what they need to.

Think the loss last night puts us 2.5 behind the Nats. Id be happy to finish second in the division though.

Yea there's just a little over a week until the deadline. Trades will start happening soon.

I just can't make sense of these damned Twins

I'm still convinced they're not very good. They're just OK.

But man, I can't believe Boston is this bad.

Astros got Scott Kazmir. I knew they would get a pitcher. I was kinda hoping we would trade for him.

Other trades:

- Brewers traded Aramis Ramirez to the Pirates for minor league relief pitcher Yhonathan Barrios. The Pirates are still working on more trades as of last night.

- The Cardinals acquired reliever Steve Cishek from the Marlins. Details TBA.

Edited by Sarge