Sign in to follow this  
theMileHighGuy

Cody Latimer

I was really excited when we drafted Cody Latimer last year, then he just got lost in the playbook and buried on the depth chart. I've already been hearing a ton about him this year, and legit excited to see DT, Manny, and CL struggle to catch short-armed balls from Peyton Manning. Came upon this little article today... didn't really know anything about his backstory which is incredibly sad.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_27943374/cody-latimer-receptive-playing-big-role-denver-broncos

He never really took a break once our season ended and went straight back to work, and so far it looks like it's paying dividends for him.

Latimer began his climb to a possible starting job this season immediately after the Indianapolis Colts eliminated the Broncos in the playoffs. He returned to Fit-Speed in Weston, Fla., a sports training facility co-founded by New York Jets wide receiver Brandon Marshall. Latimer spent three months working out. No longer burdened by a predraft foot injury, Latimer added muscle — he now weighs a sculpted 215 pounds — and speed.

It showed at Manning's Duke passing camp.

Something the article doesn't mention is the great report he has developed with Brock Osweiler. They showed chemistry in the preseason and are friends off the field. So, thanks again for stunting this teams' growth again, Peyt. Now that he's got the playbook, I look for him to do a lot of damage this year with teams already worrying about DT on the edges and Sanders over the top. Should be plenty of opportunity for Latimer to get Collie'd to death by Peyt over the middle.

TheCodyLatimer.com is a personal website he set up to sell T-Shirts for his brand, but certain proceeds are going to the American Cancer Society. He lost his Dad, Grandmother, and Aunt to cancer in the last 10 years or so. They're pretty cool shirts, I bought one.

Edited by theMileHighGuy

Ya, read an article about how he was just massively confused with Peyton under center. One lay would get called and then Peyton would change it and Latimer had no clue what was going on. He was a guy I wasn't huge on coming out of the draft, but somebody I have come to root for slowly over his rookie season.

Two WRs I had in my top 5 that lots didn't last year: Odell Beckham Jr, and Cody Latimer. Loved these guys' games but more importantly how they would project to the NFL. This is great news, I knew a big problem was him being the new guy in a very complicated system that Peyton freestyles so it wasn't like he was gonna get playing time over the vets. Also awesome to hear about his offseason working out. I know the foot thing caused a ton of people to sleep on him since he couldn't show off the gifts at the Combine. Can't wait to see him this year :yep:

• Upvote 1

Kubiak runs a lot of two tight end sets, so I honestly don't see Latimer getting a lot of playing time out of the gate barring an injury to Thomas or Sanders.

Virgil Green has a much better chance of breaking out this year than Latimer IMO.

Kubiak runs a lot of two tight end sets, so I honestly don't see Latimer getting a lot of playing time out of the gate barring an injury to Thomas or Sanders.

Virgil Green has a much better chance of breaking out this year than Latimer IMO.

You're not the first person to bring this up to me, and I can definitely see that. Just hopeful being that coaches are asking him to do more and he's been pretty much THE guy working out with Peyt at Duke this year. Which brings up an interesting scenario. If Latimer starts balling this year... DT becomes expendable in this offense I think. I hope not, but it's the NFL, and we'll have a huge contract for DT after the tag is up. Von Miller (and I think some other guys, too) also comes up next year.

It is Kubiak's system, but this is still gonna be Manning's offense to some extent. There should be some 3-wide sets at least.

People will know who VG is by the end of 2015 though. :yep:

DT dun goof'd

Broncos GM John Elway says he sees "absolutely zero value" in franchise player Demaryius Thomas skipping offseason work.

"To be dead honest with you, I see absolutely zero value with him being away from here," were Elway's exact words. "If he gets hurt here, he’s covered. If he gets hurt somewhere else, he’s not." While it's not exactly surprising that a general manager wants all his players to report for offseason work, it is surprising that Elway wasn't more diplomatic. At least as of now, a long-term agreement isn't appearing terribly likely.

Broncos GM John Elway said franchise player Demaryius Thomas staying away from team activities will have "zero effect" on long-term talks.

Elway insists he would "like to get something done," but is perturbed by Thomas' absence. Either way, he says it won't give Thomas any sort of a leg up in talks. Elway believes Thomas' absence holds "zero value" for either party. It's an unusually candid tone for a general manager mired in what is shaping up as a typically testy franchise-player negotiation.
Source: Denver Post

According to Yahoo's Charles Robinson, Broncos WR Cody Latimer "checked out mentally" during his rookie season.

Latimer has an abundance of physical tools, but wasn't mentally bought in as a rookie. Robinson reports Latimer was "unmotivated" by his low depth-chart standing, and took "a laid back approach to pretty much everything that comes along with NFL preparation." While the 2015 offseason reports have been glowing, this is an obvious red flag for Latimer's short- and long-term outlooks.
Source: Yahoo Sports

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9535/cody-latimer

Coach Gary Kubiak suggested the Broncos were expecting more year-two development from WR Cody Latimer.

Keep in mind these comments were made before Latimer's rough third preseason game where he dropped an easy TD and frustrated Peyton Manning by running the wrong route. Teammate Demaryius Thomas hinted Latimer is showing up in practice, but it's not translating to games. "You just want to see him making plays," said Kubiak. "He's a hard worker. He does the right thing. He's in the right place, but it's time for him to start making plays on the ball, coming up with big plays."

So what are your thoughts about him now, MHG?

Cody had a rough game against the 49ers playing with the first team. It seems like a lot of things are still going over his head when it comes to gameplan. Unfortunately for him, he's getting outplayed by Jordan Norwood, whose speed translates better as a 3rd receiver option.

These were the two main plays people seem to have an issue with from Sunday (I made them a little shitty to lower the file sizes):

ChFNIlT.gif

I'm not really sure where Manning wanted him to go on this. If he turned upfield he woulda been even further from the ball. He mighta had a shot at it if he doesn't run into 57, but idk.

ArfqNXw.gif

He should've caught this one, but imo the db hooked his right arm pretty good. Still, he's big enough to body out the db there. He didn't ask for a flag, so I'm not sure if there was illegal contact at all, or if he's just not the kind of player that asks for flags. One thing is for certain on this play though, Owen Daniels was wiiiide fuckin open.

I'm still excited about his potential. Take this with a grain of salt, but he has looked better while playing with Oz, but obviously the competition isn't as great. Like Kubiak and DT have both said, Cody is getting it done in practice, but it as of yet isn't completely translating to the field. He struggled last year as a rookie picking up the offense, and immediately jumping into learning a new offense in year two can't help, however much simpler that offense might be.