Sign in to follow this  
ATL_Predator

Your opinion matters....

As most of you know, I was recently hired by a county prison to be a corrections officer. As some of you also know..I was in the process of applying for my city's police dept and was placed on a waiting list...

Well, today I got a call at work from the police department asking me if I'd like to continue the application process. The thing is. I love being a CO. The money is nowhere being paid like a police officer, but there are two federal prisons nearby in the area that I could move on to...like most people do at my work place.

As I look at it right now...I see the money being a good thing, but I'm not sure I want to be a police officer with all the shit going on in America anymore. I don't want to be looked at as some power hungry loser...and I know that it only takes on person to make a positive difference, but still.

Bottom line. Should I wait it out and get some experience in at this job? Or should I continue my application with the police?

Is the money poor as a Corrections Officer? The most important thing beyond all else is do what you want to do, if you like where you're at right now, don't feel obligated to switch jobs just because the money is better.

• Upvote 1

If you can live comfortably on your CO wage and you are completely happy with your job and where you are in your life, I see no reason to continue with your application to the police force.

A. Are you comfortable with your pay as a CO? and B. Do you potentially have a family to support? If the answer to B is yes, then proceed with the application process. If that answer is no, why take on the extra stress? It's not like you won't have other opportunities.

I used to be of the mindset "do what makes you happy." Then I look at my future sister-in-law who has degrees in Journalism and Photography...two majors that let's just say do not reap financial benefits for the most part. She's young, married, and money is tight. And money is tight even though her husband busts his ass working his own landscape business while going to school for an Engineering degree.

If she went to school for something else, maybe money wouldn't be as tight. That's why I question my old mindset. If there's a significant difference in pay, it's not about 'oh well I always wanted to be a fireman.' I'm learning to like the occupation that pays more to provide myself and/or my future family with a better living.

I don't know. It's not an easy answer. Maybe there really is something to be said for a person that loves what they do even if they can't go out to eat on the weekend or have to wait a few weeks to buy that new video game that released. I just think that as long as I don't hate what I'm doing and my financial status is good, I should be happy.

• Upvote 1