Sign in to follow this  
Favre4Ever

Suh Wears Sneakers to Full-Pads Practice

And those greatest seasons on defense ever have your team sitting at 1 - 3. Again, it's not so much a statement on Watt or his play, but the impact his position does or doesn't exactly provide in winning games.

put an average QB on the Texans and see how much of a difference JJ Watt makes, over the past few years they've had one of the worst QB situations in the league and he's been about the only reason they're even competitive

JJ Watt has more impact winning those games than any QB currently on their roster can.

put an average QB on the Texans and see how much of a difference JJ Watt makes, over the past few years they've had one of the worst QB situations in the league and he's been about the only reason they're even competitive

Again... If you have to fill other positions in order to measure his impact, I would argue his impact is pretty minimal in the grand scheme of things. Again, it isn't so much about JJ Watt as it is that DT just isn't going to do a whole lot. The Texans priorities have been in the wrong places. JJ Watt is going to win you football games. Yes, with other good pieces, he will look a lot better. If I am going to spend 100 million dollars on a player, I shouldn't have to go get other players in order to make my 100 million dollar guy look good (or better).

If your answer to... "What impact has X Player had on our team?" is "Well, let's get a QB and then we will see", I think you are proving my point.

I didn't say give him a good QB, I said give him an average QB, the fact of the matter is no team could succeed within the salary cap structure with the Texans' current QB situation, that has nothing to do with Watt

I didn't say give him a good QB, I said give him an average QB, the fact of the matter is no team could succeed within the salary cap structure with the Texans' current QB situation, that has nothing to do with Watt

Does Watt's greatness make the Texan's feel like they don't need to address QB or at the very least keep it lower ont he priority list? If so, I'd argue it does have something to do with Watt. Nothing that is his fault, btw... This does come down to a coaching and management issue. But if Watt being as good as he is means they spent more time looking at him and paying him big dollars instead of looking for a QB, it's kind of an issue.

And still... If seeing Watt's impact doesn't come into play until an average QB is on the team, why are you worth $100 M? I don't know if you are. Again, he's great.. He's amazing. The best in the league by far. But if your impact isn't felt until you have an average QB... Maybe you should go spend $100 million on a QB and not your DT.

the difference is Watt's play takes the Texans from a bad team to a mediocre team, if you put an average QB in then he would make a mediocre team a good team, if the Texans are looking at it as 'we have Watt we can get away with shitty QB play' then that's a management issue and doesn't change Watt's impact at all, but what I think is more likely is what Air was alluding to, that O'Brien thinks he can turn any quarterback into a serviceable starter, they could have stuck with Fitzpatrick and then they'd probably be in the wild card hunt again

aren't we always harping on the Colts for failing to surround Luck with talent? how is this any different?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000551719/article/tannehill-its-slanderous-to-report-things-i-didnt-say

Tannehill: 'It's slanderous to report things I didn't say'

Ryan Tannehill saw the reports of his actions at Dolphins practice last week, and he's not pleased.

"Yeah, I'm upset. It's slanderous to report things I didn't say, to degrade my reputation, it's sickening to me," Tannehill said via NFL Media's Jeff Darlington.

Tannehill reportedly told a practice squad player at the end of a heated practice where he was intercepted: "Enjoy your practice squad paycheck, enjoy your practice squad trophy."

Tannehill denies saying anything about a paycheck, although he essentially confirmed the rest of the story. It was reported widely that Tannehill was upset after practice squad players repeatedly intercepted him in practice.

Former Dolphins coach Joe Philbin wanted the practice squad to take it easier on Tannehill in practice. Dolphins interim coach Dan Campbell has indicated that the team will change their practice habits with him in charge, and he implemented some of those changes Wednesday.

"It's not natural for the guys to want to beat the crap out of each other, but sometimes that's what you got to do," Campbell said.

Of course he's going to deny it. :rolleyes:

the difference is Watt's play takes the Texans from a bad team to a mediocre team, if you put an average QB in then he would make a mediocre team a good team, if the Texans are looking at it as 'we have Watt we can get away with shitty QB play' then that's a management issue and doesn't change Watt's impact at all, but what I think is more likely is what Air was alluding to, that O'Brien thinks he can turn any quarterback into a serviceable starter, they could have stuck with Fitzpatrick and then they'd probably be in the wild card hunt again

aren't we always harping on the Colts for failing to surround Luck with talent? how is this any different?

Well, it's both similar and different. For one, Luck plays a position that makes the impact that Watt's doesn't. Similar in the fact that both teams have really horrible coaches and management. Different in the fact that Watt is actually an elite player. Which actually make the conversation more interesting, and alludes to what Stevo said at the top of this page.

Watt is great, obviously. Luck kinda sorta isn't... Just by talent, Watt deserves a contract much larger than Luck's. However, with the way the league works and the REAL impact the QB position makes, Luck (who is a lesser player) is going to make more money.

I think that's what it comes down to. QBs are QBs... DTs aren't QBs. Having a $100 M DT is a luxury and not a necessity. It's pointless to spend that money on that position when you don't have other pieces in place.

For one, Luck plays a position that makes the impact that Watt's doesn't.

But isn't whether or not a DT can have that kind of impact what's up for debate? It may take a more special player at the position to make the same impact, but anyone with Watt's level of talent will make a huge impact on the game regardless of what position he plays.

The way I see it is the truly special players (like Watt) are worth the money because they will make a major impact. However, you can hide sub-standard play at a position like DT a lot easier than you can at QB, so you have to pay more of a premium for those QBs that can hit the standard level of play

Put another way, the shift in value for me is really more at the bottom end. What I mean by that is that you can deal with low-end play at the DT position a lot better than you can at the QB position so you have to pay more for mediocre QB talent than you do for mediocre DT talent. That's why the highest QB salary is $22M per year and the #10 is $19M per year (86% of #1) while the comparable numbers for dlinemen are $19M and $12M (63% of #1).

Does that mean that top end DT play doesn't have much of an impact? I would say no and Watt would be my example.

http://hosted.stats.com/fb/story.asp?i=20151007131450701766008&ref=hea&tm=&src=

DAVIE, Fla. (AP) Miami Dolphins quarterback Ryan Tannehill says he became frustrated during a recent practice and regrets that he disparaged two teammates.

Annoyed that defensive players were practicing aggressively during a workout that's typically low-key the day before a game, Tannehill sarcastically told two players they would receive a "scout team trophy." Neither player is a starter.

The incident occurred Saturday in London, one day before the Dolphins' loss there to the New York Jets. Reports of the episode created a buzz on the Internet.

"I hold myself to a higher standard than to take a shot like that," Tannehill said Wednesday. "I've talked to those guys and cleared the air with them, and we're moving forward. This is behind us."

Tannehill said he was unhappy during the practice because he felt the tone made it harder for the offense to accomplish its work.

"I was heated," he said. "I'm very passionate about this game. I put a lot into my preparation and how I go about my business. It's the day before the game, and it's crucial for our preparation. I did get upset."

The mood has been tense in recent weeks for the Dolphins (1-3), who have lost three games in a row and replaced coach Joe Philbin with Dan Campbell on Monday.

Several teammates defended Tannehill, including center Mike Pouncey. He described as baloney reports that Tannehill insulted other players.

"Ryan's not that kind of guy," Pouncey said. "He doesn't deserve that."