Sign in to follow this  
RazorStar

Giants sign Olivier Vernon for 5/85

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000642916/article/olivier-vernon-to-sign-85-million-deal-with-giants

The contract is a monster. Rapoport reported Vernon's new deal is worth $85 million over five years with a whopping $52.5 million in guarantees. Vernon tops freshly minted defensive tackle Malik Jackson, who got $42 million in guarantees in his deal with the Jaguars

Overpaying for players means you win free agency, right?

And here we all thought that it was going to be the Jags to :makinitrain: , but it was the Giants!

Most agressive Giants free agency I've ever seen no doubt attributed to new management. They put out over $200 million in contracts for 4 players already. Solid moves in the secondary, Janoris teamed with Cromartie, resigning J.P.P now with Oliver Vernon and a solid signing on the O-line. On paper, this looks to be very good.

Edited by Dutch

:Giants: also signed Damon Harrison for $46M over five years, according to Spotrac, the Giants now have three of the 17 highest paid defensive linemen (based on average salary)

I meant D-line, not o-line. Giants are getting frisky.

I personally liked the moves that the Giants FO made. They have overpaid for the players but the cap space was around £60m and if I read what Graziano reported was correct, the Giants still have around £21M left.

They had to improve the defence which was the worst in the league last year and statically in yards given up one of the worst in history.

Vernon, Hanking, Snacks and JJP on paper have a real possibility to be a dominating line up front. If JPP comes back after having a full season training anything like he was pre accident then he and Vernon of the edges with Hank and Snacks in the middle will cause a lot of problems. Hopefully this will also relive some of the pressure especially on the LB's as that is a fairly big weakness.

Jenkins was over paid also but paring whim with DRC and if he holds on his promise to not take play off late into the game could be a nice 1-2 pairing.

If they can get someone like Floyd, Jack or even Darron Lee at LB in the draft I will be even more excited up front.