Sign in to follow this  
BwareDWare94

Interesting Read on Wentz' Development

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2016/04/18/carson-wentz-shows-that-quarterback-camps-just-might-be-ruining-quarterbacks/

The people quoted in the piece argue that allowing a young quarterback to grow into his body before fine-tuning his mechanics, and playing different sports during their high school years, is more effective than throwing young kids through camp after camp after camp and making them focus on football.

I don't really know if I agree. I can see it in Carson's case as he was a mere 5'8 as a high school freshman, but if a young QB is already close to fully-grown, I don't see how camps are going to hurt.

What do you all think?

I disagree. We see way more successful talent come from the QB camps and prestigious high schools than we do from the North Dakota backwoods kind of high schools. I'm not saying to let everyone QB guru out there sink their hooks in and try to teach different mechanics. Each quarterback has their own playstyle that suits them. However, it's important to learn the fundamentals of the position. I don't think Carson Wentz has learned all the proper pieces to the position. He's poor at reading the defense and very scared in the pocket. Goff doesn't have the next level arm talent of Wentz, but he's eaten up all the information he's received as a highly touted prospect.

Wentz is an extreme outlier in a time of near perfection in catching talent in high school. You're not going to get a guy from NDSU as a top 10 pick every year.

I don't know anything about Wentz tbh, but we've seen small school qb's have a lot of success in this league. You go and hire a guy like Pederson for a reason. Whether he's earned his reputation as a QB guru is up for debate but it was smart to let him get his guy and have Bradford and Daniels take the beating year 1 while Wentz learns the ropes. I wouldn't be surprised to see him on the field this year but barring injuries it won't be until at least mid way through the year and that's fine by me.

6'5" 237 lbs, mobile and a big arm? The guy has every chance to succeed with good coaching and a supporting cast.

Am I seeing this correctly?

Edited by Chernobyl426

The Eagles also signed NDSU Cornerback CJ Smith as a UFA. There's gonna be two Bison on the opening day roster!

Well, probably not. If Marcus Williams couldn't make a day 1 roster in his rookie year, Smith won't, but like Williams, he'll be a solid pro by year 2 with a nice ceiling. Williams is doing really well with the Jets.

...So I ran into Carson Wentz's doppelganger tonight at B-Dubs. :yao:

20160827_194856_zpsott4qtt9.jpg

Edited by FartWaffles

Did you tell him his fly was open?

• Upvote 1

Dicks out for Harambe.

• Upvote 2

Ha! Wow. Totally didn't notice that. I'm not really prone to stare at a dude's crotch. :lol: