Sign in to follow this  
RazorStar

Ike Taylor: Good Corner, Bad Corner Evaluator

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000673415/article/broncos-cardinals-headline-nfls-best-cornerback-tandems?campaign=tw-nf-sf30490746-sf30490746

His top 2 are on point, the rest of this list is pretty shaky... to put it mildly. What are your guys top 5 CB tandems going into next year?

As for me my list would go like:

1. Broncos (Harris and Talib, Harris and Roby probably drop down to 4th)

2. Cardinals (Peterson and Mathieu)

3. Bills (Gilmore and Darby)

4. Seahawks (Sherman and Lane)

5. Texans (Joseph and Kareem Jackson)

Honorable mentions: Packers (Shields and Randall), Chiefs (Peters and Gaines), and Vikings (Rhodes and the Immortal Newman)

1.) Cardinals( Peterson & Honey Badger)

2.) broncos ( Talib & Harris Jr)

3.) Bills ( Gilmore & Darby)

4. Redskins ( Norman & Breeland)

5.) Patriots ( Ryan and Butler)

Is Mathieu not a safety anymore? Look, I'm all for recognizing the greatness of their secondary but let's do CB1 and CB2, here. Come on. Justin Bethel and Tyvon Branch aren't good enough to be in the top 5 pairings with Peterson. Let's just do secondary rankings, as well, and FTR, the Cardinals would be fighting for the #1 spot in my secondary rankings, despite an underwhelming CB2.

1. Broncos--Talib and Harris had more to do with the Broncos run than Von Miller and DeMarcus Ware. Don't get me wrong, Miller was phenomenal and Ware looked like vintage Cowboys Ware, but Talib and Harris allow(ed) them to maximize their effectiveness.

2. Jets--Revis and Skrine/Williams will be an excellent CB pairing this year, and if Skrine outplays Williams for the spot, it'll show real progress on his part. Don't be surprised if the Jets' CB2 next season is Marcus Williams, though. The guy has a nose for the ball and has been a playmaker throughout his short NFL career, much like he was at the collegiate level.

3. Seahawks--Sherman and Lane are a great pairing, with Lane being one of the more underrated players in the league, mostly due to perhaps the nastiest broken arm in Super Bowl history. With Lane coming in at full strength, I expect the Seahawks secondary to be even better than the heyday of Sherman and Maxwell, as Lane is a better player than Maxwell.

4. Bills--Gilmore and Darby. I'm hesitant to include these two, not because I'm not sold on them, but because I'm not familiar enough with either. I know that they're good, young cornerbacks, but Buffalo had some defensive problems last season and they weren't at all immune to the pass.

5. Redskins--Norman and Breeland are going to raise all kinds of hell for the NFC East this season. It's the main reason Washington may have a chance to defend its crown, because if that defense came back as is the shit was going to hit the fan. Norman allows the Redskins DC to put one guy on an island and maximize the other 3 with disguises. I expect a top 10 defense from Washington, especially if they can put pressure on the QB.

Ike Taylor's list fucking blows. For such a good player, he's just flat out hit or miss as an analyst.

Edited by BwareDWare94
  • Upvote 1

Eh I'm not knowledgeable about most corners around the league to form an opinion, stats seem hard to find.

I will say Ike having Verrett & Flowers as honorable mentions is a bit of a stretch. Flowers was woeful last season.

Sean Smith and David Amerson. But nobody would ever fathom 2 Raider Corners.

Mathieu is a safety that plays wherever...so I don't count him as part of a tandem

Best tandem is Douchebag Talib and Harris... second goes to the Jets in Revis/Skrine