Sign in to follow this  
Thanatos

Sean McVay is calling the audibles for the Rams

I've said quite a few times that McVay is my CotY, even over Doug Pederson, who is doing great things in Philly. But for a first year head coach doing this kind of stuff, McVay has been a revelation for the Rams.

Have a listen. You can clearly hear McVay in Goff's headset prior to the snap. It's why the Rams get lined up so fast, because the coach is cut off at the 15 second mark.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/11/nfl-sean-mcvay-rams-saints-jared-goff-audibles

Just awesome.

Really curious to know how many QBs call audibles this way, getting it from their coaches through the headset, and how many call their own audibles. I imagine most QBs do both, the exception being you obviously can't hear anything from the headset inside of 15 seconds on the play clock.

With regard to Thanatos' comment, I'm totally ok with McVay as Coach of the Year. We'll see how that Rams/Eagles game goes, though. :D

• Upvote 1

Im not saying it doesnt happen because I am sure it does but this is the first time Ive heard of this kind of thing happening .

If I heard that MCCarthy was telling Aaron what to audible to, for example, Id laugh.

This has to be a huge help to Goff though. Just execute the plays man.

I've got no problem with this because Goff came out of a bullshit offense and wasn't prepped at all for the NFL level. Hopefully as he grows his mental game, he can ease some of the load on McVay. That's an awful lot for the coach to be doing. If Wade Phillips didn't take over head coaching duties while the defense was on the field, this might have been overload on one guy. What the Rams are doing as far as coaching seems fairly unprecedented, but it's working.

Really curious to know how many QBs call audibles this way, getting it from their coaches through the headset, and how many call their own audibles. I imagine most QBs do both, the exception being you obviously can't hear anything from the headset inside of 15 seconds on the play clock.

With regard to Thanatos' comment, I'm totally ok with McVay as Coach of the Year. We'll see how that Rams/Eagles game goes, though. :D

Yeah I mean if Doug finishes like 3 games better in the standings and wins the head to head match up against the Rams I'd say give it to him. I don't like the prospect of facing this team twice but if we do I really hope round 2 is in Philly lol. The Rams are built to play in the cold even though they play in LA so it's no guarantee they win in Philly in December either. Especially with the Eagles well documented history of blowing big games. This really doesn't feel like that kind of team though.

I've got no problem with this because Goff came out of a bullshit offense and wasn't prepped at all for the NFL level. Hopefully as he grows his mental game, he can ease some of the load on McVay. That's an awful lot for the coach to be doing. If Wade Phillips didn't take over head coaching duties while the defense was on the field, this might have been overload on one guy. What the Rams are doing as far as coaching seems fairly unprecedented, but it's working.

Shouldnt be too many people who would complain about this hopefully. I mean, its working pretty damn well. I wonder what else with the adjustments he feeds into him though (potentially) ...

watch the FS rotate back into zone coverage ...

be careful of the CB blitzing off the right edge

Now that we know this, I'm gonna be watching games and see who is consistently lining up with enough time left that a coach could be doing this.

• Upvote 1