Sign in to follow this  
Thanatos

NFL Rules Question

Today in the Panthers/Bucs game we had a scenario occur which I do not understand.

The situation: Tampa Bay ball, 3rd and 12 from their own five yard line, up 19-15 on the Panthers.

Julius Peppers runs through a double team in the endzone and is held. It is called by the refs, the flag comes out. This should be a safety for Carolina, the score would be 19-17 and the Bucs would be punting back to Carolina.

However, the play of course continues, and Winston runs with it for what would be a first down, sliding down at the Tampa Bay 17 yard line. After Winston hitts the turf, Star Lotulelei and a Bucs offensive lineman talk some shit to each other which ends when Star gives the Bucs lineman a shove.

The Bucs lineman plays it up and falls over backwards. This is also flagged as a personal foul.

Jerome Boger then says that the two fouls offset and the Bucs get another shot at the 3rd and 12 which they convert.

My question is this: Why do those two fouls offset? Star's foul is a dead ball foul, after the play was over. Why is this not Carolina football with the 15 yards being assessed on the free kick?

Edited by Thanatos

Because Jerome Boger was the ref.

Jerome Boger ruins football, that's why. Hands down the worst official in football

Jerome Boger ruins football, that's why. Hands down the worst official in football

Sorry but thats Pete Morelli and Ed Hochuli

Sorry but thats Pete Morelli and Ed Hochuli

Morelli and Hochuli might get shit wrong, but Boger's crew throws like 25 flags a game. It's fucking horrible to watch.

The NFL's rules on offsetting fouls are nonsensical. Someone help me understand why if the defense commits 2 fouls on a given play, and the offense commits 1 foul on the same play, they all offset and the down is re-played.

The NFL's rules on offsetting fouls are nonsensical. Someone help me understand why if the defense commits 2 fouls on a given play, and the offense commits 1 foul on the same play, they all offset and the down is re-played.

Rules need to be Fixed..

- no offset penalties

- either change ever offense of penalties to loss of down except for False Start or Change the defense of ones from Automatic 1st downs..

- Freaking Identify what a Actual Catches every week Especially in the New England games teams are getting screwed

- Make it where the player has to break the plane not just the ball for a TD.

So no one thinks that there is any scenario here where the right call was made?

So no one thinks that there is any scenario here where the right call was made?

Nope Jets got screwed then Steelers if you look close at 1 picture his hand is under the ball and then the bills

I'm talking about the original post here weapon, not other scenarios.

I'm talking about the original post here weapon, not other scenarios.

Ah well then still no if it was Holding in the EndZone it should’ve been a Safety

I actually like offsetting penalties but it makes no sense to offset in a 2 vs. 1 scenario. I think that actually may have been a fuck up.

Catches are obvious and there should just be more fumbles. Simplify the rule. There'd be an initial spike in turnovers, but then WRs would just take better care of the football.

The only time offsetting penalties should be called is when each team has one penalty of equal "value" (both 5 yarders for example). Or say the offense produces a 5 yard penalty but the defense produces a 5 and a 15... The 5's can be called "off setting" to pretend like they didn't happen, but the 15 should still be enforced, IMO...

In the scenario given though, I don't like it.. But I feel it was right, per my understanding of the rules.

• Upvote 1

I feel like it would be weird not to have them offset in this scenario.

Here's why.

What we're saying is that if this play did not result in a safety, it would be a first down for Tampa Bay, because first you'd apply the holding, say half the distance to the goal, and then give the Bucs 15 yards and a first down.

And that doesn't seem right either.

Defenses get fucked by the rules enough, so I'm not sure I'd like JD's scenario. Aside from that, a lot of 15 yard penalties are completely subjective and therefore called wrong.

Defenses get fucked by the rules enough, so I'm not sure I'd like JD's scenario. Aside from that, a lot of 15 yard penalties are completely subjective and therefore called wrong.

Defenses wouldn't always get fucked. Plus, there is already a bare bones version of it in play anyway (5 vs 15 stuff).