Sign in to follow this  
RazorStar

Jets trade up to third overall pick.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000921905/article/jets-acquire-no-3-overall-pick-of-2018-draft-from-colts

The New York Jets are doing everything they can to land a potentially franchise-altering quarterback in next month's draft.

The team announced Saturday it acquired the No. 3 overall pick of the draft in a trade with the Indianapolis Colts. The Jets are sending their sixth, 37th and 49th overall selections in this year's draft and their second-rounder in 2019 to Indianapolis.

By moving up from No. 6 to No. 3, the Jets greatly improve their chances of drafting the quarterback they want. Although general manager Mike Maccagnan hasn't said who the team is hoping to draft, quarterbacks Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Josh Allen and Baker Mayfield are among the most likely candidates to land with the Jets. The deal also could play a role in who the Browns select at No. 1 overall -- they could potentially take a QB with the top pick instead of combine standout Saquon Barkley.

That's a bold move, cotton, let's see it if pays off. I like this trade for the Jets since it means they can get their guy if there are 3 of them that they like (which is entirely possible), meanwhile the Colts stockpile picks which should hopefully replenish a team without a shred of talent on it.

Colts really needed a move like this, i agree. If they can get Luck some protection, who knows? As for the Jets it's about time they made a real play for a franchise QB. Solid move by both teams.

Good trade for both teams. I think the Jets overpaid slightly--maybe the 2019 pick should have been a 3rd or 4th rounder--but you have to overspend when you're going after a quarterback. Now, this makes the draft more interesting in a few ways...

Do you guys think the Jets have their man picked out (like the Eagles did when they traded up for Wentz knowing the Rams were taking Goff). That seems like a bit of a stretch, especially considering the Giants could still trade their pick.

The pressure is mounting for Cleveland to draft a quarterback 1st overall. If they take Barkley, the Giants and Jets will surely draft QBs. Then they're on the clock at #4, and are they guaranteed a QB they like? I know it's easy to say taking Barkley+QB is better than QB+Chubb/Fitzpatrick, but shouldn't the Browns' top priority be coming out of this draft with their #1 QB prospect?

Big loser of this trade=the Bills. I'm a little surprised this trade happened, honestly. Shouldn't the Bills have offered both their 1st-round picks to the Colts? Surely they would have accepted. Anyway, now they have to target the Giants as a trade partner, I guess, but that'll be hard to pull off. Otherwise, their chances of trading into the top 5 are slim. Will they come out of this draft with one of the top QB prospects?

Edited by SteVo

The Jets are just gonna do Teddy like that damn

Teddy and McCown were always looked at like short-term solutions.

I really don't know if I like this though -- especially this early. What this tells me is that they are happy with whatever QB falls to them and not necessarily that there is a guy they love so much that they are targeting him. Too much fate, luck, and chances involved for my liking. Although I understand the draft is a lot of that stuff anyway, I am not sure why you introduce more elements to further increase the RNG and give other teams the opportunity and know how to trade and up and maybe take the guy you (Jets) like just a little bit more than the others.

Also, I am sure the Bills explored this trade possibility and probably just weren't willing to go that steep. That may change as we get closer... It could work out for them, but more than likely they sit back... wait... take Jackson and settle for being a 4-7 win team for the next decade.

I like this for the Colts, their team is literal trash. But they too need a QB. The way Luck's contract is, each year after this one, it gets easier and easier to let him go if he isn't producing. And with his injury history, it'd be wise to have a Plan B.