Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Jackson may eventually sign Austin-like deal

Per Rotoworld.com

Fox Sports' Adam Caplan expects DeSean Jackson to eventually sign a deal similar to the six-year, $54 million one Miles Austin inked with the Cowboys last season.

Signing Jackson long term is expected to be one of the Eagles' top priorities once the labor mess is finally resolved, and Austin would certainly be a fair comparison when talks begin. Questions about Jackson's durability have persisted, but HC Andy Reid recently said it is not something that worries him. Jackson has missed just three games since coming into the league in 2008. Mar 26, 11:48 AM

Source: Fox Sports

Please don't do it, Eagles...

Guest Durant4MVP

Please don't do it, Eagles...

Wait, why?

Wait, why?

Jackson is a great gamebreaker and maybe the best deep threat in the game. I love having him on our offense, but...

-I hate diva wide receivers.

-DeSean has had two concussions in as many years. Not an encouraging stat for a young player.

-He's a one-trick pony; take away the go route and he can't hurt you.

-He actually refused (at some point) to do crossing routes because he's scared to get hurt.

-Bottom line: he's not worth the money that guys like Miles Austin and Andre Johnson are making.

-He's a diva.

-I HATE diva wide receivers.

Jackson is a great gamebreaker and maybe the best deep threat in the game.

Mike Wallace disagrees....well, in my drunken opinion, anyways....

Stevo, one question... Do you dislike diva WR by any chance?

If we aren't trading Jackson and getting something way too good for him (which some speed hungry teams absolutely would), we absolutely should re-sign him. We can't just let him walk and look at our slightly larger cap space number as consolidation. The ultimate decision sort of has to do with what the salary cap looks like, but we should definitely bring him back.

He also said he doesn't want to run crossing routes without guaranteed money. Not the best way for him to word it... but it doesn't solely mean I wouldn't want him.

He is also not a one-trick pony... Andy Reid just uses him like one. He runs some sharp underneath routes when given the chance.

Mike Wallace disagrees....well, in my drunken opinion, anyways....

Hence why I said maybe the best.

Stevo, one question... Do you dislike diva WR by any chance?

Of course not. What would give you such an indication? :p

Considering that Miles Austin is twice the receiver that DeSean Jackson is, it would be ridiculous to sign DeSean to this kind of money. Trust me, Philly, worry about locking up Maclin before you sign DeSean to so much that by the time Maclin's contract is up you can't pay him what he'll want.

Considering that Miles Austin is twice the receiver that DeSean Jackson is, it would be ridiculous to sign DeSean to this kind of money. Trust me, Philly, worry about locking up Maclin before you sign DeSean to so much that by the time Maclin's contract is up you can't pay him what he'll want.

For the record, Maclin really hasn't done anything to deserve anything more than what he's making right now. In fact, considering he was a first round pick, I'm actually a little disappointed in his production so far.

For the record, Maclin really hasn't done anything to deserve anything more than what he's making right now. In fact, considering he was a first round pick, I'm actually a little disappointed in his production so far.

He was a hair short of 1,000 yards last year. I read the stats wrong at first I thought he had 964 career yards, but that was just last year. At least he got 10 TD's and 13.8 ypc. He has a total of 14 TD's and 1,737 yards. This is the season to really judge his growth.

Don't forget his rookie year was basically his college senior year. He's a youngin'.

Edited by westbrookforsix