Sign in to follow this  
AllYouNeedIsLovie

Redskins looking to trade up for a QB

John McClain of the Houston Chronicle hears the Redskins are "trying like crazy" to trade up for one of this year's elite quarterbacks.

Unless the Skins offer most, if not all, of their 2012 draft class (picks from which will be severely devalued because no one even knows if there will be a 2012 draft), we have a hard time believing Mike Shanahan can execute a trade up. They don't have a third- or fourth-round pick this year. McClain believes that the Redskins are targeting Missouri's Blaine Gabbert.

Source: Houston Chronicle

So.... The Redskins want Julio Jones, so the Rams are trying to move to #9... But in reality the Skins want Gabbert and trying to move out of 10. Awesome. lol

I think they are going to take a chance on Locker since from what I've read Shanahan really likes him.

What is this about there not being a 2012 draft?

Lockout, no season would mean no draft I believe.

..."one of this year's elite quarterbacks"...did I miss the memo or something? :p

Lockout, no season would mean no draft I believe.

Not true. The NHL had a draft after their lost season.

Not true. The NHL had a draft after their lost season.

Thanks for clearing it up.

What is this about there not being a 2012 draft?

one recent thing that's come out about the legal wrangling is that the draft could be a casualty if the NFL loses the anti-trust case, and if you think about what the draft does to the market it does make sense. Basically the thinking is that the draft dictates where players go, meaning rookies can't play teams off each other at the negotiating table or play for a team they've grown up following, they can only sign with the team that drafts them, that treatment of the workforce could be deemed improper treatment of labor. Do I think it'll actually happen? No, there's some concern that if this particular law suit is treated as special it could become a new standard for the enforcement of labor laws, but I don't think the draft falls under that as there's no way it would really work in any setting outside of sports, so I don't think there's really any concern over this particular issue. But, there is a possibility of the right judge taking this as purely a labor issue and completely re-writing NFL procedure, and the draft poses a pretty clear problem in an anti-trust suit.

According to CBSSports.com's Pete Prisco, the Redskins are actually looking to trade down -- not up -- with Florida State's Christian Ponder and TCU's Andy Dalton in their sights.

It's disinformation season, which of course means conflicting reports. The Redskins have been connected to Blaine Gabbert, Jake Locker, Ryan Mallett and even Colin Kaepernick, but this is the first we've heard of interest in Ponder and Dalton. With GM Bruce Allen missing a third-round pick, trading down makes more sense than moving up. Prisco hears that one team with an interest in moving up to No. 10 is New England, perhaps with an eye on Ryan Kerrigan or Julio Jones.

Related: Patriots, Redskins, Andy Dalton

Source: CBSSports.com

Edited by Vindifference