Sign in to follow this  
Favre4Ever

Impossibility Becomes Reality: Packers Offense Gets More Explosive

Through the Packers first 3 selections of the 2011 NFL Draft, the Packers have selected three offensive players.

LT, Derek Sherrod

WR, Randall Cobb

RB, Alex Green

Derek Sherrod - Picking Oline in the 1st round in back-to-back years is so boring. But... Chad Clifton continues to get older, and even after a bounce back season for him, we have to think about the future. Sherrod has great movement and agility. Gets off the line quickly, and excels at pass protection. Who needs a run blocking OT when your offensive philosophy is to pass to set up the run? Was a little disappointed at first, but am loving the selection.

Randall Cobb - I can't tell you how many times, as a Packer fan I have been so frustrated at the sight of Percy Harvin burning our defense. It's infuriating and demoralizing. My guess is that Ted Thompson and the Packers felt the same way... Because the Pack responded by taking their very own Percy Harvin. Cobb has great hands, works very well in open space, and has the ability to get some sick YAC (which the Packers preach extensively to their wideouts). He also has experience at Kentucky coming out of the backfield and catching passes... and when asked, is more than willing to throw out a devastating block.

Just like Sherrod, I wasn't too happy when the pick was announced. My guy, Leonard Hankerson, is a physical WR who crushes any DB who gets in his way. Love the kid, and he would have been a great replacement for James Jones and eventually Donald Driver. But Cobb was the selection, and I have jumped bandwagons. Cobb will create headaches for defensive coordinators around the league.

Alex Green - Yet again, I am gonna lay it out for ya. When the pick was announced... Didn't even know who the guy was. He was taken in the 6th Round of TGP's Mock Draft and I liked him so much, I didn't even bother scouting the kid. But going back now, after the fact, and watching some tape / reading scouting reports. He looks to be a solid pick. And best of all... Mike Mayock loves the pick.

Green has great hands for back, which instantly tells me as a Packer fan. Good-Bye Brandon Jackson. Brandon Jackson wasn't a true halfback. He was a guy who could make key plays for us in passing situations on 3rd downs... That's it. Green, in my opinion, will never be the key back in Green Bay... Which concerns me being that we spent a 3rd rounder on him. But he is going to replace Jackson as that 3rd Down threat at the very least. And he ran for a staggering 7+ yards per carry last season at Hawaii. Yes, this is attributed a lot to Hawaii's spread offense and using a lot of 4 and 5 WR sets... But don't forget. Mike McCarthy LOVES spreading out his WR more than any coach in the league, and this could provide for some great opportunities for Alex Green to shine.

And just like that... The Packers offense, feared as one of the most explosive in the league... Just became that more dangerous.

Edited by Favre4Ever

I'm not too sure of Green but it's not like we have a bunch of holes needing to filled. May as well make the offense even better. Although I do think we need a LG and was helping Moffit would fall to the Pack but the Seahawks just had to reach for him. Greatest Show on Grass :rolleyes:

Edited by Packers Dynasty 2010

Randall Cobb - I can't tell you how many times, as a Packer fan I have been so frustrated at the sight of Percy Harvin burning our defense. It's infuriating and demoralizing. My guess is that Ted Thompson and the Packers felt the same way... Because the Pack responded by taking their very own Percy Harvin. Cobb has great hands, works very well in open space, and has the ability to get some sick YAC (which the Packers preach extensively to their wideouts). He also has experience at Kentucky coming out of the backfield and catching passes... and when asked, is more than willing to throw out a devastating block.

Just like Sherrod, I wasn't too happy when the pick was announced. My guy, Leonard Hankerson, is a physical WR who crushes any DB who gets in his way. Love the kid, and he would have been a great replacement for James Jones and eventually Donald Driver. But Cobb was the selection, and I have jumped bandwagons. Cobb will create headaches for defensive coordinators around the league.

Actually I thought the same thing when I saw his highlights. He looks like a bigger (not taller) version of Harvin. I hope he can return kicks well. Maybe he can stop making Slocum look like such a goon. My analysis of the first 3 picks:

Derek Sherrod: He looks tall, but not big. So I think he'll sit behind Clifton for a year, MAYBE beat out Daryn College for starting LG. That would be nice. I think that between him and Bulaga, he would be LT. He's more athletic, and Bulaga is more of a powerful tackle, and those types usually stick to the right side.

It was a typical Ted Thompson pick. Nothing snazzy or special, but it's the type of pick that'll win you championships.

Randall Cobb: Obviously I said before, he looks like a percy Harvin. I hope he is cuz our return game sucks. Plus Jones will be gone since he wants to start and obviously he won't start over Jennings, Driver, or even Nelson. He'll probably come in as our 4th receiver because Nelson has already established himself as our 3rd. I think we drafted Cobb to the Drivers' successor as our #1 in the slot.

Alex Green: Really had no idea who he was. But I think that Korey Hall, Dmitri Nance, and Brandon Jackson will be gone, so he's probably going to come in and be our 3rd running back (3 RB, 2 FB). He kind of runs like Starks by looking at his tape so he should be a good contributor.

If the GB offense DOES get better, I'm gonna be a Steelers fan AND a Cheesehead fan for the next 5 years. I wouldn't mind seeing Green Bay win more NFL titles.

I'm excited to see how all three of them can contribute next season. I think Cobb in particular could have an immediate impact in the slot or at least on special teams until he gets a more consistent starting role.

Love the Sherrod pick, very smart. I mean when you're coming off a Super Bowl & you went through personnel hell to get there, what do you even have to add? Sherrod adds much-needed depth to an O-Line that has seen some key injuries over the last couple seasons.

Comparing Randall Cobb to Percy Harvin is where I draw the line. Randall Cobb is no Percy Harvin. Don't let all the highlights you see on television fool you. Cobb is an athlete but he's not nearly as dynamic as Percy Harvin, nor will he be as much of an x-factor on offense. Cobb can be a good slot-guy/returnman....but I'm skeptical as shit. I just don't think the wildcat qb/wr/returnman is GB's style anyway.

I don't think you are going to see much Wildcat from the Packers. That isn't our style. But McCarthy loves his toys, and Cobb is definitely one of them. He can line up anywhere on the field, and do practically anything you ask. McCarthy is definitely going to use Cobb in some of the same ways the Vikings use Harvin. If he wasn't, we would have drafted another big, physical type WR instead. Now... does that mean he will have the same success as Harvin? No, but the jury is out on that one.

I don't think you are going to see much Wildcat from the Packers. That isn't our style. But McCarthy loves his toys, and Cobb is definitely one of them. He can line up anywhere on the field, and do practically anything you ask. McCarthy is definitely going to use Cobb in some of the same ways the Vikings use Harvin. If he wasn't, we would have drafted another big, physical type WR instead. Now... does that mean he will have the same success as Harvin? No, but the jury is out on that one.

I personally wanna see McCarthy use the T-formation with Cobb. Rodgers handing it off to Kuhn with Quinn Johnson and John Kuhn leading the way. Would be pretty cool to see and you can break off it to trick defenses. Also motioning Cobb around and maybe even reverses and throw it to Jennings. Just some trick plays or just even having the potential of trick plays helps the offense even more.

I don't expect much Wildcat but I'd definitely want us to experiment with it early on in the season.

It's always good to have plenty of tricks up your sleeve, and I think Cobb and Starks could make a sick duo in a wildcat formation.

I don't expect much Wildcat but I'd definitely want us to experiment with it early on in the season.

It's always good to have plenty of tricks up your sleeve, and I think Cobb and Starks could make a sick duo in a wildcat formation.

Definitely. And I expect to have a few of those gadget / trick plays, for sure. And maybe even use them a little more often than a year ago. But they won't be used frequently, IMO.

Oh.. and I did a full version of this article (offensive analysis of Packers draft) that should be published to BR shortly. I will post a link to the article when it shows up.