Sign in to follow this  
AllYouNeedIsLovie

Lions tried to trade ahead of Cards for PP7

The Lions tried to trade up for CB Patrick Peterson in the first round of the NFL draft before the Cardinals selected him fifth overall, a league source said Friday. The Lions entered the draft needing defensive back help and attempted to address it early by moving up for Peterson, but they couldn’t find any top-five options that seemed feasible. They were thrilled when Auburn DT Nick Fairley, whom some considered a top-five pick, fell to them at No. 13.

Source: NFL.com

It's true, it was all the radio was talking about the day after the draft ended. I would of loved it if it happened, im pretty sure it ended up not falling through because Mayhew didn't want to trade future draft picks for current draft picks, and I applaud him for that... I hate it when teams do it.

This is one more reason why I really like what this FO did this past draft, they had a board, they knew who they wanted where, and they knew what their dream scenario was and what their goal was in each round. They were disciplined enough to stick to it. We got 3 very good players, and 2 that could develop, outside of Hogue, I liked every move they made.

Wouldn't be half as scared with PP7 in the Lions' secondary as I am the trio of Suh-Fairley-Vanden Bosch on that D-Line.

It's true, it was all the radio was talking about the day after the draft ended. I would of loved it if it happened, im pretty sure it ended up not falling through because Mayhew didn't want to trade future draft picks for current draft picks, and I applaud him for that... I hate it when teams do it.

This is one more reason why I really like what this FO did this past draft, they had a board, they knew who they wanted where, and they knew what their dream scenario was and what their goal was in each round. They were disciplined enough to stick to it. We got 3 very good players, and 2 that could develop, outside of Hogue, I liked every move they made.

It's good news for Detroit and Michigan that the lions are finally getting there act together and building a team that can win.

• Upvote 2

Wouldn't be half as scared with PP7 in the Lions' secondary as I am the trio of Suh-Fairley-Vanden Bosch on that D-Line.

So... Instead of having a dominating DLine and the best corner in the draft, you'd rather just keep the dominating DLine? No... The Lions would have come out of the draft much better if they got PP. And heck, they may not have had the chance to take Mikel LeShoure.

You should have been. There's nothing to be scared about with their beastly DTs because you can just pass on their secondary all day.

idk if I personally would of never made an offer like the one we did (1,2,4), but that's cause I don't put high value on corners. But it was clear from the way the draft went down that Mayhew and Co. believed that PP was the only true starting caliber corner, and almost pulled the trigger to get him. I would of been more then content if we came outa the daft with PP. But between givin up all that for PP, and getting Fairley, Young and Leshoure... I would chose the later... Easily.

Short passes are still gonna murder the lions, and if you traded up for LeShoure, why didn't you get Brandon Harris instead?

• Upvote 1

Because we already have a Brandon Harris on our team, his name is Alphonso Smith and he brings the same aspect to the game. A lot, if not all the things that are being said about Harris were once said about Smith. Smith played well for us, but as of right now, he's a strict nickle corner, we started him once on the outside against the Patriots, and we all know how that turned out. Harris, like Smith, get's beaten pretty badly in press coverage, which is the only thing Shwartz runs with our outside corners. You don't draft a player in the 1st 2 rounds that don't fit your scheme just to fill a need, that's stupid.

Mayhew came into the draft with the belief that PP was the only cover corner that could be a starter on the outside from day 1 as a #1 corner. We don't need any more #2 corners, we have plenty of those, Since we couldn't get PP, and it was clear that Shwartz was not sold on either Prince or Harris, so he took the best player available, which makes the most sense. And unlike Harris, LeShoure was extremely high on Shwartz' board, and him falling as far as he did allowed for the Lions to pursue him. There is still going to be an FA period, and if CB is that big of a need, we'll address it then.

And if im Shwartz, and I have as talented a group up front as we are going to have, i'd be more then content with letting you 'beat us with slants all game'. Because the 2 best way to stop quick routes is to 1, put a hand on the face of a QB, and 2, disrupt the route of the receiver. Best way to disrupt the route of the receiver is through pressing him off the line, which is the only thing Shwartz runs on the outside. Timing is the most important thing with quick routes, and when that timing is disrupted it leads to a lot of turnovers and incompletions.

So When Prince AMukamara is killing your family (Megatron) You'll cry yourself to sleep when Nick Fairley is riding the bench?

Well, we don't play the Giants next year, so unless if we meet in the playoffs, so that probably won't happen. And at any rate, I highly doubt Fairley will be riding the bench either so... No...

Why, Fairley is only the fourth best DT on your team right now.. That puts him in for maybe 20% of the snaps...

That's a good deal, but is it sufficient compensation for moving up from 13 to 5 to take the best prospect in the draft? I don't think so. Good move by Arizona to stay put.