Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Glazers “swear� they will spend money on Bucs

Posted by Mike Florio on May 7, 2011, 1:14 PM EDT

Making the unlikely ascension (actually it was more like a resurrection) of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 2010 even more impressive was the fact that ownership has been operating the team on a shoestring budget for the past several years.

Apparently, that’s going to change.

In a recent chat at TampaBay.com, Gary Shelton of the St. Petersburg Times wrote that the Glazers “swear†they’ll spend when the Buccaneers are ready to compete for the Super Bowl. Shelton said his information comes from a 30-minute discussion in late March with co-chairman Joel Glazer, who explained that spending in the NFL is an issue of “cycles.â€

But is it? Does it make sense for an NFL franchise to dog paddle with a tightened belt in the hopes of putting together a nucleus of young players and then breaking out big money either for keeping those good young players in place or adding established veterans? Or should a franchise have a sustained commitment to spending in the hopes of being competitive on a year-in and year-out basis?

The fact that the Glazers believe spending should occur in cycles confirms the importance of both a salary floor and a salary cap, preferably without much spread between the two. The absence of either device would permit a team to accept a few down years — and stuff their coffers with the money saved on salaries — and then overspend when the team believes there’s a chance to win it all.

For the sake of long-term competitive balance, it makes more sense to have consistent maximums and minimums that apply to spending. There needs to be a sense for every team that each year could be the year that ends with the hoisting of the Lombardi Trophy.

Source: ProFootballTalk

Well they are honestly going about it in a realistic sense. A lot of teams spend a bunch of money in FA and either 1. Don't have enough to pay all their drafted superstars or 2. Get some FA busts that end up costing them down the line and holding the team back.

They are going about it how teams should. Build most of the team through the draft, and sign a few FA's to some needed spots.

Besides, this article makes it seem as though the Glazers don't go into FA at all. They've signed FA's the last 2 years and I think people forget how they reportedly offered Albert Haynesworth a little more money than even the Redskins did. They aren't against spending money there just hasn't been any big names worth giving the payouts they ask for, in spots the teams need to fill.

In the last decade the only team to win the Superbowl because of a bunch of FA signing were the Saints. The only teams to even lose in the Superbowl that got big names through FA were the Seahawks and Cardinals. The biggest FA's on those 3 teams were their QB's. Correct me if I'm wrong but every other team's key players on offense and defense were from drafted to those teams. The Pats, Steelers, and Colts have been the 3 biggest and most consistent teams of the decade and most of their key players were drafted.

I personally think if the Bucs draft this year went okay, and next years goes okay we could start spending money on some FA's and trading for players to go for that Superbowl run.

Bucs fans will probably be glad to hear this, though they probably will believe it when it happens.

Call it what you want to, but the Glazers, Mark Dominik and Raheem Morris have a plan. You build through the draft and add a couple FA pieces here and there, but mainly through the draft. Then use that "big money" to re-sign and reward their guys as they perform and/or become free agents. I have no problem what so ever with what they are doing. That is the plan and really unless anyone has seen their "books" if you will, It's just talking heads talking out their ass. So far I'd say it's working in their favor. They just had their third awesome draft since MD and Raheem have taken over.

The plan has been repeated over and over ad nauseam. :shrug:

I hope they don't go nuts and spend a lot trying to prove they are willing to spend. I'm happy with what we are getting in the draft, no need for big money FAs left and right. Just some guys who can come in at a reasonable price and help us win.