Sign in to follow this  
Zack_of_Steel

Diplomacy - Round Two

Alright, folks, so this is the mega-thread for the second game of Diplomacy. The rules will be posted after this post so if you're a newcomer that hasn't been following along you can catch up quickly.

Here are the power rankings from the first round:

1. Italy / Zack_of_Steel (60 Points) 20 SC's

2. Germany / Barracuda (30 Points) 9 SC's

3. Russia / BlaineDifference (15 Points) 5 SC's

7t. Turkey / Austria / France / England [seanbrock, JD, RZB, Bangy, Mathias, Trident] (1 Point) 0 SC's

Vin and I both volunteered to run the second game and I came up with the idea that the other six players could vote which of us would play and which of us would run it.

So, if you want to play, look down through the rules and figure out your country preferences and then post them along with your vote. Here are the preferences so far:

1. RazorStar - RFETAGI

2. Zack_of_Steel - RFTGEAI

2. BlaineDifference - FAEGRTI

3. Arz - ETR

4. Tridentdawgpound - TRIGFAE

5. Barracuda - EFRGTAI

6. Maverick - IGRTAEF

7. JetsFan4Life - GERITAF

Edited by Zack_of_Steel

Diplomacy? What's that?

Diplomacy is a board game created by Alan Calhamer in 1956 and published by Hasbro. The game, set in Europe at the turn of the 20th century puts the players in control of one of Europe's 7 great powers (Austria, England, France, Germany, Italy, Russia and Turkey) and they must 'diplome' with one another to become the undisputed masters of Europe by taking over more than half of the continent.

Spring1901-2.jpg

So how do you play this?

Set in Europe at 1900CE, each player takes the place of a great power of Europe (Austria-Hungary, England, France, Germany, Italy, Russia or Turkey) and attempts to hack their way to the top by controlling 51% of the supply centers (also known as those little black circles). There are 34 supply centers, so 18 are required for a player to claim a win. A draw can also be called if all surviving players agree to it.

Each player controls a number of units, of which there are 2 types, fleets and armies. Fleets can occupy coastal land or sea spaces while armies can occupy any land space. ALL units can take control of supply centers, support other units to move or hold and move one space at a time. Each unit is allowed to make one action per turn. The real meat of the game comes from the fact that units are able to interact with those controlled by a different player, allowing for a huge range of cooperational movement and thus necessitating the aforementioned diplomacy.

Years are made up of 5 phases, spring turn, when units are given orders, spring retreats, when dislodged units have to be moved out of their boardspace or destroyed. Fall turn works the same way as spring, except that a unit in any supply center after fall retreats will claim ownership of it. This leads us onto the final phase of the year, when the player is able to build new units in their home centers (those owned at the start of the game) in proportion to the number of supply centers they have gained that year.

I want to play, what do I need to do?

Just declare you want to play, which country you want in order of preference (AEFRIGT means Austria First, England Second, Turkey Last), and have a way to contact me and other players, either by PM's or some instant messenger.

I'll go into more detail about the specifics of moving in the next post and I'll be running this in JDip. http://jdip.sourceforge.net/

Edited by RazorStar
Images!

There are two types of units- Armies(A) (marked with a tank) and Fleets(F) (marked with a ship). Only one unit of a given player may occupy a territory (no stacking). Each can only move one space a turn (unless a convoy occurs, see below).

BOTH ARMIES AND FLEETS CAN CLAIM SUPPLY CENTERS!

A unit can be given one of four orders each turn:

-Hold

-Move

-Support

-Convoy (fleets only)

Hold:

If you do not give a unit an order, it is considered to be holding. It will defend to the best of its ability.

Move:

Armies can move between land spaces. For example,

Austria: A Vie-Tyr

Move1.jpg

means the army in Vienna(Vie) will try to move to Tyrolia(Tyr).

Fleets can move from coastal space to coastal space, ocean space to ocean space, or one to the other. The fleet currently in Brest at the start of the game can make any of the following moves:

Move5.jpg

F Bre-Mao, F Bre-Eng, F Bre-Pic, or F Bre-Gas. Note that France cannot do F Bre-Par as you cannot move a fleet to an inland space.

Moving into a contested/occupied space results in combat. Combat is a simple numbers game. Every unit is of equal strength. If a unit tries to move into an occupied space, it fails. If two units try to move into the same space, they both fail. If the following orders were given...

Germany: A Ber-Sil

Russia: A War-Sil

Austria: A Vie-Boh

Move2.jpg

...the German and Russian units hold position as it is a standoff (they have the same strength, so neither is allowed to conquer Silesia). There is no one stopping Austria's unit from moving into Bohemia, so that order succeeds. This is what the result would look like.

Move3.jpg

Support:

The key to combat is support. You can have an unit support a move action into a space that they could move that turn, giving the moving unit more "strength". In that same scenario, if the orders were like this...

Germany: A Ber-Sil

A Mun S A Ber-Sil

Russia : A War-Sil

Austria: A Vie-Boh

Move4.jpg

...the army in Berlin would move into Silesia, as it has the "strength" of two units with the support of the unit in Munich. The Russian army in Warsaw is forced to hold, and the Austrian move into Bohemia is unaffected.

Move6.jpg

A unit cannot support a moving unit if it is under attack from a country it isn't supporting an move towards. This is commonly referred to as "cutting support".

For example, if Italy had an army in Tyrolia and ordered A Tyr-Mun that turn, the unit in Munich could not support the unit moving into Silesia (it's preoccupied with the attacking unit). This would result in a standoff for control of Silesia, forcing the units in Berlin and Warsaw to hold.

A unit can also support a holding unit, giving it the "strength" of an extra defender. It would take three units (one attacking, two supporting) for the attacking country to overcome the defender in this case, and one more supporter for each additional "defender".

Your units can be supported by another Power's units with or without your consent. Sometimes your "friends" may give you a hand just to get you out of the way...

Convoy

An army can move more than one space via a convoy. In this example, Italy has a fleet in Tys.

Move7.jpg

Italy wants to set up a base in Africa this turn. He could write the following order...

Italy: A Rom-Tun

F Tys C Rom-Tun

Move8.jpg

...to move his army in Rome(Rom) to Tunisia(Tun) in one turn.

Move9.jpg

If Italy had a fleet in Wes as well, he could use this order...

Italy: A Rom-Spa

F Tys C Rom-Spa

F Wes C Rom-Spa

...to move his army from Rome to Spain in one turn. Another Great Power can help convoy your army, but make sure all the fleets involved give the correct orders. "Mistakes" have been known to happen...

Retreating:

All dislodged units must retreat one space simultaneously after all orders have been executed. They may not move into the space the attacker just left or into a space left empty because of a standoff. If they can't move, or if two retreating units move to the same space, they are disbanded (removed from play).

Reinforcements/Disbanding

Each Supply Center you control supports one of your units. After each Fall turn (every other turn), you will gain or lose units based on the number of Supply Centers you have. If you have more Centers than you did last Fall, you may place new units in your unoccupied home Supply Centers. If they are all occupied, you will have to wait until next Fall.

If you have less Centers than you did last Fall, you will have to remove units from the board until you have one for each Center you control.

Diplomacy

Diplomacy is the key to the game. You are only bound by your submitted orders each turn. You are not required to follow any other verbal or written agreements. Promises, lying, manipulation, and backstabbing are all fair game. However, they're also fair game to everyone else...

That's pretty much it! This should get you through about 95% of all movement and conflict resolution, barring more complicated chain reactions and stuff. You shouldn't have any problems following along at home.

Edited by RazorStar
AND WORDS!

Oh, so that was what the preference thing was for....

FAEGRTI

Yeaaaaa. get your spot quickly, it seems like this is gonna fill up fast.

Locked in locked on Bangyland please

Pref list

England

Turkey

Russia

Edited by Rodgers2Driver

I didn't send in my orders the last few turns last game due to lack of computer, but if I'm invited back in...

TRIGFAE

I wanna change from Bangyland.

You gonna get your orders in for sure this time?

Yeah, it looks like I got all my network issues sorted out (still can't get here normally though). If anything pops up I'll get on another computer and let you guys know.

WE WANT YOU TO PLAY WITH US! There's still three spots available.

I see you hiding... Mav, DMac, Ricky... Git the fudge in here nao.

I would but my living/computer situation is sticky atm.

I want to play again.

Preference:

England

France

Russia

Germany

Turkey

Austria

Italy

Edited by Barracuda

Locked in locked on Bangyland please

Pref list

England

Turkey

Russia

Smart, you guys might not want to underestimate bangy.

I'm down to play and I'm active.

IGRTAEF

Edited by Maverick

One spot left. Arz, Cuda, Mav, and Trident; I need you guys to vote whether I should play and Vin run or vice versa.

I'm sick of the whining for another player, count me in.

Preference:

Germany

England

Russia

Italy

Turkey

Austria

France

I vote for Vinception to play and Zacharias to run.

I vote for Vinception to play and Zacharias to run.

I second this.

Just wondering...how do we decide who gets what country?

Edit:Sorry for the double post.

Edited by Barracuda

If your first country isn't wanted by anyone else you should be able to get it. The only thing is since Vin is the only one who kind of wants to be Austria, he may have to take it.

That's fine.

You can give Bangy England but I want France.

Yea, this is how I got it with everyone either getting their first or their second choice.

RazorStar - Russia

Blaine - Austria

Arz - England

Trident - Turkey

Barracuda - France

Maverick - Italy

JetsFan - Germany

• Upvote 2