Sign in to follow this  
Zack_of_Steel

Car question

Alright, so I'm driving a shitty 1984 Ford Tempo that I got for $500. My brother is getting his license and needs a car, so I am going to buy a new one and give him this. I need some advice, though.

The father of this girl I work with is a part owner at a dealership and he has a 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid that is on the lot for $9950, but he said he would sell it to me for $7500. It gets over 40 mpg and whatnot. I have the money to buy this within a month or two without financing. The car is silver, a color I despise in cars, though I know I shouldn't really be picky seeing as this is a good deal.

However, if I am being picky, I'd like something like this. I could afford this if I could get it financed, but I am not sure it's a logical decision.

What do you guys think?

I think car notes suck.

I think you should take the deal he's offering. If the color really bothers you that much, you could have it painted for a couple hundred and save quite a bit of money.

• Upvote 2

Call me cheap, but in this situation I almost always reccomend going with the better deal, which is the 05 model. It is completely up to you, and if you are willing to spend more money to please yourself, that is probably a good thing. That's just not how I am. I would go with the 05 model.

I think you should take the deal he's offering. If the color really bothers you that much, you could have it painted for a couple hundred and save quite a bit of money.

This...it all boils down to how much you think a different color is worth. I wouldn't think the difference between a 2005 civic hybrid and a 2009 civic hybrid would vary too much, performance wise...as if performance was a dealbreaker in a civic hybrid.

Edited by Krawnka

I thought paint jobs were at least $3,000?

Call me cheap, but in this situation I almost always reccomend going with the better deal, which is the 05 model. It is completely up to you, and if you are willing to spend more money to please yourself, that is probably a good thing. That's just not how I am. I would go with the 05 model.

Yeah, you're probably right.

This...it all boils down to how much you think a different color is worth. I wouldn't think the difference between a 2005 civic hybrid and a 2009 civic hybrid would vary too much, performance wise...as if performance was a dealbreaker in a civic hybrid.

When you put it this way, it makes a lot of sense, lol.

It really depends where you go for a paint job and how much your willing to pay. I wouldn't suggest going to Macco because they don't do it right. You gotta find a shop that specilizes in auto body painting because they'll sand down the original paint and add layers unlike Macco where they'll just spray over the shit that's already there and it'll start chipping in 2 weeks. A good, factory new painting could go from 1-2 thousand but if you know some people you could get it done for 5-7 bills.

I would go with the deal where you don't have to finance. Anytime you can just pay straight up and get a great deal I'd go for it. Just because you never know what can happen in your future with expenses and whatnot, even if you are someone who is smart with their money which you seem like you are.

Also remember, unless I'm mistaken you're going to college soon. You're gonna rack up a lot of debt most likely and you probably wont be earning as much as you do now. I'd just get the 2005 one. Not to mention you can get new cars for less than that 2009 one costs.

It really depends where you go for a paint job and how much your willing to pay. I wouldn't suggest going to Macco because they don't do it right. You gotta find a shop that specilizes in auto body painting because they'll sand down the original paint and add layers unlike Macco where they'll just spray over the shit that's already there and it'll start chipping in 2 weeks. A good, factory new painting could go from 1-2 thousand but if you know some people you could get it done for 5-7 bills.

Huh. All I've ever heard/seen is that it costs $3,000-$6,000 for it to be done well/right.

In this thread on a Honda site everyone tells this guy it will cost about that much.

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/detailing/84615-approx-cost-new-paint-job.html

I guess I'll look around town, though.

Guest Durant4MVP

I'd buy the '05, save myself $13k, and learn to like silver.

If someone bought a 40mpg car, it probably means that they intended to drive it a lot. How many miles are on the '05? Right now, that's a better deal if the mileage isn't too high, but once you reach that 100,000 mile mark, you'll really notice things that will eventually need to be replaced.

If you get it from Honda yeah it's gonna cost more, because they're gonna do it just like a brand new car, just rolled off the assembly line.

My suggestion would again to find a local professional shop that does paint/body repair besides Macco. If you can find one that offers a lifetime guarantee that's even better. But I'd say from a place like that, 1-2 maybe 3 grand.

I got paint job done years ago and I got it on discount because I knew the person that owned the shop so mine was about 15 hundred it was in the 22 hundred range before discount.

But yeah, paint job costs range vastly from place to place. Just shop around and try to find a professional place to do it right for a good price or you'll regret it later. Or, like Durant said, learn to like silver. :D Good luck with it bro.

At least it's not red, that way you're not gonna get pulled over by the cops all the time. Take the silver, it's not the worst colour your car could be, not even close.

Dude, I was almost in your exact same shows 2 years ago. I was getting rid of my old 1995 Civic and knew I wanted a newer model 08 or 09 BLACK civic. I knew it had to be black. And if I had to pick one color that I definitely did not want, it was silver. However, when I got to the dealership, they had a silver 08 Civic with like 12K miles at a great price. So long story short, I went with the better deal and just lived with silver. I'm definitely happy with my car and with the fact my car payment is very comfortable.

So if I could buy a car outright with no financing, I'd definitely do it regardless of the color. Civics are great regardless.

And paint jobs are usually in the $3K price range. A good, pro job at least.

• Upvote 1