BLUE

Update: Seahawks retain run-stuffer Brandon Mebane

Posted by Danny O'Neil

With clarity coming to the Seahawks' quarterback situation, the emphasis will switch to defensive tackle Brandon Mebane, who is an unrestricted free agent.

Mebane lives in the area, and the Seahawks want to retain him. There is also some clarity to his contractual situation that did not exist back in March.

Back then, it wasn't 100-percent certain that Mebane would be an unrestricted free agent. In 2010, under the rules of the uncapped year, a player needed six years of experience to qualify for unrestricted free agency. Mebane just finished his fourth year. There was a chance -- not a big one -- that the league could have operated under the 2010 rules. If that were the case, Mebane would have been a restricted free agent.

Under the new collective-bargaining agreement, players again need only four years of experience to qualify for unrestricted free agency.

So where do things stand with Seattle? Mebane's agent indicated that the "most in-depth conversations" on this first day teams can talk to players have been with Seattle.

That's not a guarantee anything will get done, but clearly Mebane is a priority and his hope is to remain with the Seahawks.

Source: The Seattle Times

Edited by BLUE

Per Rotoworld.com:

The Seahawks reportedly have competition from the Broncos and Saints for free agent DT Brandon Mebane.

ESPN's John Clayton says the Broncos are "trying to get Mebane out of Seattle," so they appear to be the more aggressive of the two suitors. The Seahawks are fighting hard to keep Mebane. Jul 27, 2:51 PM

Source: John Clayton on Twitter

Do whatever it takes to keep Mebane. There is literally nobody else to fill his shoes. We're trying to get competitie in a couple of years. Might as well already have a defense in place by the time we get our franchise quarterback.

Mebane & Cole are just a lot of fun for a d-minded person to watch. Seattle needs a lot of LB help though so that DT tandem will be more effective. SOB Curry is unproductive, MLB Tatupu has been all busted up for a long time now, FOB Hawthorne is the only effective member of the entire squad. Nobody else but seattle could consider fielding a 4-1 defense and live, a 3-1 will get killed anywhere.

On the other hand, if your team does get Me-Bang...You're gonna like him a lot!

Per Rotoworld.com:

The Rams have reportedly joined the hunt for free agent DT Brandon Mebane.

They have competition from the Broncos, Seahawks, and perhaps the Saints. The Denver Post confirms the talks are serious, and Mebane is expected to get expensive by the end of the day. The Broncos lost out on Tony McDaniels to the Dolphins. Jul 27, 5:21 PM

Source: Michael Lombardi on Twitter

Per Rotoworld.com:

Seahawks re-signed DT Brandon Mebane.

The Seahawks hold off a late pursuit from the Rams and some reported interest from the Broncos to keep their top run-stuffer. With NT Colin Cole coming off ankle surgery, it was even more of a priority to retain Mebane. In Pete Carroll's system, Mebane won't be asked to rush the passer just like last year, but he's still highly productive. Jul 29, 6:32 PM

Source: Danny O'Neil on Twitter

Damn. Good move Seattle, just couldn't let us have a good player.

Only 5 Mil guaranteed gotta give Schneider props i thought it would take more then that.

I cant tell you how happy I am that we managed to keep Mebane. It gives us that extra little something to get us to the Show....

I cant tell you how happy I am that we managed to keep Mebane. It gives us that extra little something to get us to the Show....

New guy! Welcome to the Palace! Definitely a big re-signing for you guys. My understanding is the contract isn't super lucrative either. Anybody know the details?

New guy! Welcome to the Palace! Definitely a big re-signing for you guys. My understanding is the contract isn't super lucrative either. Anybody know the details?

I havent seen exact numbers but from what I have read he took the offer with seattle because thats where he wanted to be he was drafted by Seattle and thats where he wanted to be. And Mebane like Leon Washington took the offer with Seattle even though the offer was for LESS money....

I havent seen exact numbers but from what I have read he took the offer with seattle because thats where he wanted to be he was drafted by Seattle and thats where he wanted to be. And Mebane like Leon Washington took the offer with Seattle even though the offer was for LESS money....

I like guys like this, stay loyal to the team that drafted you. I understand some players wanting to leave to a SB contender but a lot leave just for money and it's nice to see some guys aren't all about the money.

I agree with you 100% players like that are a very rare. I was blown away when Leon Washington did the same thing before the lockout. After he broke his leg 2 seasons ago with the jets he was pretty much labeled that his career was finished. And thats sad when teams do that they get hurt while playing the game for a team and they get hurt and that teams response is NEXT. Coach Carroll was a bit nervous when he traded to get Leon Washington but he said if he recovers from this injury hes going to be a an asset to the Hawks and well worth the risk. And now Washington is saying hes back to 100% Coach Carroll said the same thing. And I have a feeling the Jets are going to see how Washington performs this season and will be quoted saying "Oh Crap"....

I like guys like this, stay loyal to the team that drafted you. I understand some players wanting to leave to a SB contender but a lot leave just for money and it's nice to see some guys aren't all about the money.

I would attribute the whole direction of the team (signing Sidney Rice, signing Robert Gallery, signing Zach Miller, signing Alan Branch, drafting two walruses for the offensive line) the main reason Brandon Mebane stuck around.