Sign in to follow this  
Shotgun

The better team for Nnamdi: Cowboys or Jets?

It's reported that it's between the Jets and Cowboys for who gets Nnamdi. On Sirius/XM NFL Radio there was a discussion between Adam Shein and Jim Miller about who Nnamdi may go to, and who would be the better fit.

Jim Miller suggested the Cowboys would actually be the better team for Nnamdi. Obviously he pointed out the market of the Cowboys, but he also suggested Nnamdi may pick the Cowboys due to the challenge of the NFC East. He wants a Super Bowl and by going to the NFC East he will earn it more due to the division being so good, with so many good wide receivers.

He also argued that Nnamdi would be more likely to win a Super Bowl on the Cowboys rather than the Jets because the Cowboys are overall a better team with better skill position guys. Their big weakness is their secondary.

I found it an interesting topic and I'm curious what you guys also think.

I kind of see Miller's point, the Cowboys do have a much better D-line, a better QB, and a better WR group. If they had a better secondary, which Nnamdi would improve greatly, the defense would probably play better than they did a couple years ago when they went to the NFC Championship.

However on the Jets, with Revis and Nnamdi in the secondary QB's will have fits, and with Rex being so skilled at play calling I doubt other teams run games would be able to do enough either. On offense, the Cowboys have a better passing game, but they don't have much of a run game while the Jets do. Sanchez may not be as good as Romo and he may not have the amount of weapons the Cowboys do, but he does enough, and if the other team can't score much it's not like he'll often be trying to catch-up.

Thoughts?

Well i'll definitely be rooting for him to go to the Jets. No way I want my Giants to face a Ware and Nnamdi lead defense twice a year. Plus with the AFC being so quarterback heavy that will make for some interesting games come playoff time. Let alone the fact that they will be battling it out with NE for the AFCE every year.

Nnamdi is a much better fit for the Cowboys. Dallas has a much better team overall than the Jets, especially offensively. Their run game is shaky but improving, their WR's are future stars and very solid players, their QB is much better than Sanchez, and they have a decent defense set aside a shaky secondary. Going to Dallas would allow the Cowboys to be both threats defensively and offensively and would give Nnamdi a tougher, more satisfying division to play in. The Jets seem like a good fit, and they'd be great defensively with him (they already are), but their offense is mediocre at best and you still need to put up points on the board to win games. Greene has been a disappointment, Sanchez hasn't taken a big step, LT has two years at best, and the only good WR they have at this moment is Holmes. I understand the Jets' mentality but at some point you need to spend money on your offense on more players than just Mangold.

Anyone but the Cowboys

Asomugha only helps that D so much. Dallas probably will lose Newman if they sign Nmandi. Mike Jenkins performed well in 09 but was complete trash last season, so teams can take advantage of him, whoever they line up at nickel, and their safeties aren't very good either. Teams will still be able to take advantage of the Cowboys secondary if they can hold off the pass rush. In NY, the secondary would be almost impossible to throw against and the front 7 is wicked as well. Would probably be one of the best Ds in NFL history. Cowboys always have all these better skilled position players but have done nothing, how does Nmandi change that?

Jets, Nnamdi wants a shot at a ring. The Jets have a more complete defense, why not line up with another one of the best Corners in the league.

With him plugged into their defense, Jets' pass rush gets better, run D gets better, and offense gets better since opposing teams' defenses are going to be on the field alot.

85 just went to the Pats, and it wouldn't surprise me if Randy Moss didn't go there for a rock bottom price.

Jets. They are a better team than the Cowboys and him and Revis together would be almost impossible to throw against.

BTW, that NFC East argument that Jim Miller said about the NFC East being more competitive is pretty lame. The AFC East is probably just as good as the NFC East.

Asomugha only helps that D so much. Dallas probably will lose Newman if they sign Nmandi. Mike Jenkins performed well in 09 but was complete trash last season, so teams can take advantage of him, whoever they line up at nickel, and their safeties aren't very good either. Teams will still be able to take advantage of the Cowboys secondary if they can hold off the pass rush. In NY, the secondary would be almost impossible to throw against and the front 7 is wicked as well. Would probably be one of the best Ds in NFL history. Cowboys always have all these better skilled position players but have done nothing, how does Nmandi change that?

You're not giving Nmandi enough credit. Any fool will realize that if you have Nmandi Asomugha on your team, he WILL help. To answer your question, that's how it changes it.

You're not giving Nmandi enough credit. Any fool will realize that if you have Nmandi Asomugha on your team, he WILL help. To answer your question, that's how it changes it.

He shuts down one side of the field. He is the best corner in the league but as I mentioned before the rest of the secondary is still lacking. The Cowboys have had plenty of talented teams in the past and were unable to do anything with them. Asomugha improved them but he doesn't solve all of the problems the team has.

With the Cowboys signing Marcus Spears, Asomugha probably isn't going to Dallas.

Pairing him with revis is scary. Perhaps the best defensive backfield in recent memory to be assembled. I personally would like to see what they can do together.