Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Update - Report: Redskins to start Grossman over Beck

Per Rotoworld.com:

Coach Mike Shanahan reiterated that he may not name his Week 1 quarterback until the day before the Sept. 11 opener against the Giants.

There's been almost no separation between John Beck and Rex Grossman, meaning Shanahan may be forced to use the preseason finale to evaluate. However, most observers -- including ESPN analyst Jon Gruden, who presumably spoke to Shanny Monday -- expect Beck to get the first crack. The Redskins may play it close to their vest in order to keep the Giants guessing. Aug 26 - 9:29 AM

Source: CSN Washington

Edited by BLUE

They have both looked very good this preseason. I really don't envy Shanahan having to make the choice.

Guest Phailadelphia

"I'll bet my reputation on John Beck."

YOUR MOVE, SHANNY

They have both looked very good this preseason. I really don't envy Shanahan having to make the choice.

Shanahan put himself in this boat... Having to pick between two incompetent and arguably AFL level talent QBs. The sooner the Skins can get Luck, the sooner they can begin to improve.

Both Beck & Grossman have had a pretty decent preseason so far, but that's because they 'Skins are running their full offensive playbook while opposing defenses are trying out new plays and going with vanilla schemes. Neither QB has proven themselves to be a quality starter. Grossman's 2006 season with the Bears does not count-he was inaccurate and threw nearly as many picks as touchdowns. Shanahan could have easily traded for Kyle Orton before Tebow stunk it up in the preseason or could have picked up a decent free agent QB, such as Vince Young. I'd be embarrased to have to say my QB rotation consisted of John Beck and Rex Grossman. Grossman is a mediocre backup and Beck isn't even backup worthy. He'd be #5 on the depth chart if he was in Denver. It's a good call by Shanahan to not decide yet though. Wait till the preseason is over and then make your evaluation.

We know what Rex gives a team. He's a QB who can either be terrible or flashy. It'd be bordering on lunacy to start him over a guy like John Beck, who at least looks like he might have upside. Beck looked decent when he started for Miami with absolutely no talent around him. I was surprised nobody else gave him a chance. If the Redskins want a chance to compete, start Beck.

Mike Shanahan had John Beck rated as the top QB coming out of college. I don't think that Beckhas been given enough of a chance to establish himself as a starting QB. It sure looked to me that the Ravens were running their full defense agaisnt both Beck and Grossman last week and they still looked damn sharp.

@Jason La Canfora:

Rex Grossman will start for the Redskins on Sunday. Decision was made over the weekend. Full story upcoming on NFL.com

lolMikeShanahan. Rex Grossman over John Beck. What a damn lunatic.

lolMikeShanahan. Rex Grossman over John Beck. What a damn lunatic.

Yeah, starting a veteran QB over someone who only has a handful of starts. What a psychotic :rolleyes:

It was a tough decision, and im suprised they made the choice this early. Grossman had better numbers during preseason, even though both played pretty well.

I honestly thought that Beck was going to win the job, but I also understand why Grossman got the nod. In the end, I'll obviously take shannys judgement over mine.

Yeah, starting a veteran QB over someone who only has a handful of starts. What a psychotic :rolleyes:

It was a tough decision, and im suprised they made the choice this early. Grossman had better numbers during preseason, even though both played pretty well.

I honestly thought that Beck was going to win the job, but I also understand why Grossman got the nod. In the end, I'll obviously take shannys judgement over mine.

Veteran does not translate into quality. We already know how good Rex Grossman is, and it's not very good at all. At least find out what John Beck brings to the table, man. You can't go into a season with Grossman at QB and expect to compete in your division.

Grossman will start in September a bit of October, and then Beck will have to take the reins because Good rex will be out of juice by then.

I thought Grossman, from what little I had seen, looked better of the two. Beck couldn't even look good in week 4 against our 2nd and third stringers. I'd guess that helped make their decision.

But as I said in the shoutbox...it's like choosing between a turd and a shit sandwich...or a douche and a shit sandwich. W/e :shrug:

Veteran does not translate into quality. We already know how good Rex Grossman is, and it's not very good at all. At least find out what John Beck brings to the table, man. You can't go into a season with Grossman at QB and expect to compete in your division.

I never said that it did. But look at it this way. Even though John Beck was technically on the redskins last season, he led the practice squad. this means that he had very little experience running the teams actual plays. He had a lot to learn, and it certainly didn't help with the lockout. Without mini camps and OTA's, Beck has little experience running this offense. Grossman has the benefit of a full yet under his belt, and certainly has a better grasp on the offense. With both players looking quite similar during preseason, im sure that this was something that helped aide their decision.

You guys don't realize why this move was made. Mike Shanahan heard that those silly Seahawks were starting Tarvaris Jackson, and Mike refuses to be out-sucked for Andrew Luck. Thus... John Beck... The winner of the QB competition is going to see a lot of bench time.

If Rex Grossman comes out and throws for 300 yards in the opener, he is going to get benched. :yep:

• Upvote 1

I think that if the running flows well and out defense is back to its top-10 form, Grossman will be just fine. Then, Shanahan will look like a genius. Right now, I don't agree with his choice, but understand going with the guy who has some starting experience.